cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA Registration only took 7 months.....

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, for those of you who have read and commented on my previous post concerning getting our new mh registered in California....Good News.

Today, we FINALLY received the new plates and registration papers that we applied originally for back in August. After seven trips to local DMV, two trips to Bakersfield DMV, untold amount of phone conversations with Sacramento DMV, and two coach inspections by DMV agents....the mailman presented us with the fruits of our perseverance.

However, it seems that they are having problems reimbursing us the duplicate $1800 registration fees that they insisted on during our first visit to the local DMV even tho I pointed out to them that we had included the registration fees with the initial purchase. We bought the coach in Oregon, and the papers list the fee as a "Title Fee" and the CA DMV agent said that was different than "Registratrion Fee". Well, of course it was the same and Sacramento finally admitted that it was and that they would refund us the total duplicate. That was back in September and now they're saying it will have to go through their Sacramento accounting department and that we should receive a check in three to four weeks.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE OUT OF STATE....I don't care what it costs me!

Anyway, one hurdle down, one to go.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....
30 REPLIES 30

paulm999
Explorer
Explorer
California has always been unfriendly to residents buying vehicles out-of-State, or bringing in vehicles from out-of State. The laws of the past have been the result of lobbyists for California car dealers. Until the late 90's, out of State vehicles were hit with a $300 Smog Fee. The CA Supreme Court finally called it an illegal tax and DMV was order to refund millions. More recent, was a 7500 mile rule, which meant a new vehicle bought, or brought in from out of State, couldn't get registered (beget some exceptions) until it was a used vehicle at 7501 miles. Now that 7500 rule just applies to "49 State" vehicles that need to be CA smog certified. Once upon a time, if you brought a vehicle in from out of State, and it couldn't pass a CA smog check the very first time, you were given a 72 notice to remove the vehicle from California. Regardless of changes in recent years, CA DMV will put you threw a lot of hoops when it comes to emigrating a vehicle. The main drive to keep Californians from buying out of State vehicles, is the fact that, California vehicles sell new or resell used 7-20% more dollars than the rest of the country.