cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California High Wind Warning

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
We started out from DAL Saturday morning headed to SFO via Las Vegas. Gusty winds from ABQ to Las Vegas. But nothing as bad as what we just went through from Mojave to Bakersfield. Winds on 58 from Mojave to Tehachapi had our ERA 70x dancing all over the road. We stopped to measure the wind speed and it was 25 gusting to 55 broadside into the coach. A CHP officer stopped to tell us that they had 2 18 wheelers blow over and the overhead signs are warning that campers not recommended from Mojave to Tehachapi. An RVer stopped as his awning had been blown out from the housing. Later today winds exceeding 70 mph expected in Mojave. Stay safe out there.
11 REPLIES 11

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
I heard this morning that a dear friend and his son from Visalia were traveling in the described wind and pulled over to better secure their load. A big truck blew over on its side and slid into them. He is in an induced coma with a broken back, brain injury, punctured lung and numerous broken bones. Hope he makes it.

That is tragic. I hope they get better, When we stopped to measure the wind, the RVer with the rogue awning was in their RV on his cell phone (calling Good Sam, perhaps?). I walked over, fighting the wind, to see if I could help. The wind was so strong that I sensed that his new Class A (about 30 foot) was going to roll over on me. I quickly retreated back to our rig to ride out the furious gusts. 50+ mph winds in a high profile vehicle are serious business.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I heard this morning that a dear friend and his son from Visalia were traveling in the described wind and pulled over to better secure their load. A big truck blew over on its side and slid into them. He is in an induced coma with a broken back, brain injury, punctured lung and numerous broken bones. Hope he makes it.

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you made it through safely. The winds in that region can be treacherous.

Ozlander wrote:
Didn't know the politicians were in Calif.

The ******** are here all right, always. Too bad we can't figure out how to use their hot air to heat homes in the winter and just channel it through the wind farms (at reasonable velocity) the rest of the year.:(
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
See all those wind machines near Tehachapi? Yep, it can get real windy through that area. Since our gas Class A is not good in the wind, we have used RV parks in Bakersfield or Desert Willow in Hesperia to wait out the warnings. And a couple of different weather apps, such as Wind Alert. Our coach also has the NOAA warning system. It was been going crazy alot lately.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know the politicians were in Calif.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
when we turn on phone we get a wind warning message for Havasu most of the time. when we were there earlier, we could not get on the lake because of wind. will this be the norm. and if it is, are there other places we might look at for next year
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I use the weather app called Storm. It has a large map showing hazards accross the country. I have never seen it so lit up with warnings. Seems like every event is more intense than it use to be.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Gorman and it was blowing good all weekend. The trailer was rockin'.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
We camped in those conditions friday night, insane winds!!!
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
We are now in San Jose after that drive today through the wind whipped Mojave and the coach has a fine layer of sand throughout--the effect of the wind blowing it through the seals and openings. For you all in Texas and Midwest, this pressure system is going to fuel some massive storms Tues on. Be ready....

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
when we came back, we had sand storms also. park it
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚