cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Box

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
I am already a Full Timer, so to me living Full Time in an RV is not "camping". My kind of "camping" involves a boat and a tent and a campfire in the middle of the woods. I am looking for a Camp Box, one that I can throw in the front of the boat that will contain everything I need to set up camp. It will have to be big enough to hold a tent, air mattress (I am older now) sleeping bags, a camp stove, camp kitchen, and everything else needed to stay gone for three or four days.
I would like it to also be able to be a base for the camp kitchen once it is unpacked, so that I could cook on top of it. Or maybe a shelf or legs or something. Anyway I know some of you have the perfect idea of what I need. Got any pictures?

SK
13 REPLIES 13

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
RVing is not camping.....

Hmmmm ... :h

Then what were the pioneers doing when they crossed the U.S. in their Calistoga Wagons?

IMHO, they were camping! I consider us as camping when in our small motorhome - just as the pioneers were camping. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I don't understand what the box gets you...

In younger times we did a lot of canoe and sail camping. Everything got stowed and secured in the boat(s). The only thing special was the army surplus rubberized canvas bags for clothing and later (as the result of an experience) the sleeping bags. That was camping.

Matt

The box serves several purposes. When not camping it is a place to store all my camping gear in a locked container and in one place. Since I am a full timer space is always at a premium. And with everything in one box and in one place I don't have to hunt for this and that when its time to go, just grab the box and roll. That makes getting ready a lot easier and takes a lot less time. Basically all I have to worry about is getting the cooler ready, grab the camp box, throw it all in the boat and head for the river. Also, when at camp, the box can double as a place to set up the camp stove when not cooking over an open fire.
I found and bought an aluminum tool box for a small pickup truck, its the narrow kind and each end has wings that sit on top of the bed rails of a pickup. Its small enough and short enough I can handle it by myself and it fits perfectly on the left side of my boat between the front and back fishing deck. The only problem with it was the bright aluminum finish would blind you in the sunlight and reflected heat so bad you could hardly stand it. So I roughed it up a bit and painted it the same OD Flat Army Green that the rest of the boat is and now it looks like it belongs there.
So far it is packed with:
Tent
Bow saw
Two sleeping bags
Camp Stove
Two Air Mattresses (laugh it you want, I'm done sleeping on the ground)
Axe
Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Kitchen and eatin' tools
Lantern
Rope
Toilet Paper
Hand Towels (rags)
Tarp
Flash light
I will add to it and take away from it based on what I need and don't need when I start using it.
The boat holds the usual fishing poles, bait, cooler, life jackets, etc.
I will carry the .357 Mag with Hollow Points and several reloads of Snake Shot.
The way we like to camp is to fish the river until we find a suitable place to camp, then stay over night. Get up the next day and either fish or ride the day until we find a different place to camp and so on and so on. Usually we stay gone at least 3 days and as many as 8 and when you get that far away from the truck you BETTER have what you need before you leave the dock because they AINT no going back until its time to go home.
So yes, having a camp box is needed.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Before we bought the two boxes, we bought one really large container. It was too heavy loaded. We went to two medium containers. Should have remembered that in my first posting.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand what the box gets you...

In younger times we did a lot of canoe and sail camping. Everything got stowed and secured in the boat(s). The only thing special was the army surplus rubberized canvas bags for clothing and later (as the result of an experience) the sleeping bags. That was camping.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Father in law built us a great camp box. It was too heavy loaded to use. Now we go with two Rubbermaid boxes when tent camping or use our backpacks.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a military surplus store. Get a large infantry pack, some MRE's, canteens, k-bar, tent halves, stakes, and OD rope. If you really want to experience "camping" try that. Leave the camp stove, camp kitchen, and all that CW junk at home. Heck, you will have all kinds of room left over in your pack for extra things like toilet paper because you won't be carrying 500 rounds of ammo!

Nothing in that pack will go bad except the water in the canteens. Then you will have something you can grab and go with for real camping.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
Usually two or three times a year we put the boats in and go up river 8 or 10 miles and set up camp and there is usually six or seven adults and 10 to 12 kids. I have seen as many as 8 boats up there and it lasts about 4 or 5 days. We always go in heavy and unload everything and set up camp then spend the rest of the time fishing or swimming, and we all take turns cooking.
Weight is important enough, sometimes we have to make two trips to get all the people and gear in there, but this year I bought a new boat :B and its big enough to handle it.
I am actually thinking about buying a chest type tool box for a truck and mounting it in the front of the boat just behind the casting deck. That would be plenty big enough to hold everything we need plus some life jackets too and I could lock it and keep it secure when its out of sight.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I am a long distance canoer, tough boxes the heavy duty ones) from Lowes or Wally world etc. make great boxes for loading your items.
I use waterproof bags for most of my gear and even when wet the inside items stay dry. Large military surplus ammo boxes are also good and are watertight too if the rubber seal is intact. If you load a box too full it will be awfully heavy to lift. That is why I usually go with 2-3 watertight bags and a small box, I am getting to long in the tooth to struggle with the heavy boxes, and bags.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
southernkilowatt wrote:
I am already a Full Timer, so to me living Full Time in an RV is not "camping". My kind of "camping" involves a boat and a tent and a campfire in the middle of the woods. I am looking for a Camp Box, one that I can throw in the front of the boat that will contain everything I need to set up camp. It will have to be big enough to hold a tent, air mattress (I am older now) sleeping bags, a camp stove, camp kitchen, and everything else needed to stay gone for three or four days.
I would like it to also be able to be a base for the camp kitchen once it is unpacked, so that I could cook on top of it. Or maybe a shelf or legs or something. Anyway I know some of you have the perfect idea of what I need. Got any pictures?

SK

Once you pack it, you'll never be able to lift it. :B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_357082_357082?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Google&utm_ca...

some ideas for trailer storage.

We bought a large plastic storage bin for the back of our pickup at Northern Tool.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Google camp box and you will find lots of ideas.

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
So, you are "already a Full Timer" what exactly?

A Full Time RV'r as in I live in an RV full time.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
So, you are "already a Full Timer" what exactly?
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!