cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

camper towing rental trucks??

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
I went out this morning to go run some errands. My truck was gone. Must have gotten stollen last night. Well, fudge.
So I have quite a few questions, but I'll limit this discussion to:
We have plans to go up the hill over labor day this weekend. My little tractor(Diesel Jeep Liberty) as torquey as it is probably would not do well pulling my toy hauler (Dutchman 1902) up to the Eisenhower nor be able to control it on the way down. Being Sunday, I don't know what type of rental I will be given from insurance. Usually its 4 wheels, some sheet metal and a engine to get you to and from work. Im trying to figure out if I will be able to take the camper this weekend or if Ill be pulling the tent out.
Has anybody had any experience with this. does any of the rental companies offer trucks that can handle a camper. I use to pull with a Tundra. It did ok but i think I was a over weight with the heavy tongue, thats why I upsized. So a beefier half ton would work and I would need a break controller.

Mods, feel free to move this if its in the wrong section. I wasn't able to locate the Stollen car section. ๐Ÿ™‚
25 REPLIES 25

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps try calling Transwest. Not sure if they rent to non-commercial folks, but I'm pretty sure they do truck rentals, and if not, could point you to someone who might.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
When our new used truck died 20 miles down the road two years ago the dealer brought us another 3500 dodge on the lot for sale for us to go csamping for the week while they towed ours to their lot to be fixed. Saved our trip.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
@rockhillmanor Were just going to a forest service campground and too cheap to pay a lot.
Ill look into a ryder truck, but ultimately I'm looking for low cost. If we have to tent it we will be OK. its just been a while since we sleped in a tent. And a first for out 3 year old. I still have my backpacking gear with the intention of teaching him "camper camping" is not the only way to camp. I just figured that life lesson would be a few years later.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I have rented several of the big Ryder truck rentals that I have hitched up a car hauler to loaded with a car. They had not problem with it. I see the big and small truck rentals all the time on the road hauling car haulers for their move. They all come with substantial hitches on them.

Rental companies will rent you their truck and their trailer, but will specifically disallow towing any other trailer in the contract. Also, rental trailers have surge brakes, and RV's have electric brakes, so the truck will not have a brake controller. I think you will find rental trailers have 2" ball and RV will have 2 5/16" ball.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Call the CG that you will be staying at. And/Or a CG near where you live.

Almost ALL CG's have a company they use to tow campers in and out of their CG's for campers.

Reasonably priced rates and they know what they are doing AND have the appropriated tow vehicles.

AND BTW: I have rented several of the big Ryder truck rentals that I have hitched up a car hauler to loaded with a car. They had not problem with it. I see the big and small truck rentals all the time on the road hauling car haulers for their move. They all come with substantial hitches on them.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies. I was afraid that would be the replies. We may have to go back to basics(i.e. tents) and it will be camper appreciation weekend. fortunately well be with the a big group of family and have a lot of help if needed. And were very close to town.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Leave your rig at home and rent an RV for the weekend. It'll be cheaper than a commerical rental truck rental and insurance to cover it.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
There are rental companies that are set up to rent trucks for trailer towing and other commercial purposes. A lot of times, it is a medium duty truck dealer that offers this type of truck. Most large cities will have one or two rental companies that do this. It may take a little calling around or "googling" to find one.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
enterprise rents pick ups up to one ton. Do they have hitch? I do not know give them a call

When we rented from Enterprise, we were told that we could not tow. Maybe different locations are different. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
No rental company will rent a truck knowing you will pull a trailer with it..
except there trailers.

Unless you own a company AND have 1,000,000 dollar insurance Policy ...

I tried for 2 weeks.. called everyone... for a 20 foot camper.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
enterprise rents pick ups up to one ton. Do they have hitch? I do not know give them a call
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind