cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground = low income housing???

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't sure where to post this question so I figured I would try here. It's as much of a rant as it is a question, but it is a legitimate question.

I've been tent camping my whole life but am new to RV camping and was completely unaware of all the campgrounds that allowed year round/long term camping. I've even noticed that some State Parks which have rules against this allow guests to use loopholes to stay year round.

I've already been to 3 campgrounds (one state owned, one KOA, and one private) which were not much more than a trailer park. Sure the brochures look wonderful, with pictures that accentuate the positive but leave out the rows of dingy, tarped RVs with permanent decking built around them. Not to mention the fact that the "campers" there are now locals with local friends coming and going and cars parked wherever they can wedge them in.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against trailer parks or those that live in em, but a campground isn't built for coming and going and cars parked everywhere or with enough room in the "yard" to spread out all your "stuff." I know there are snow birds that stay places for extended times and I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the folks that use a campground as their low income housing project.

Does anyone know of a way to verify how many "permanent" campers are at a given campground or if there are any chains of campgrounds that strictly don't allow this? I though I could count on KOA and state Parks for this, but have been sorely disapointed.

I wanna take my wife and kids out camping...not trailer parking.
43 REPLIES 43

BigMark1
Explorer
Explorer

I'm about to be one of those long term campers, either going back to Texas or Florida. I'm here in New Jersey now came here to spend time with my pop then he moved to NC and I stuck around just for a bit and got stuck here from Covid. Anyway they have nice campgrounds here. Their about from April to October.  It's all about camping and pretty much 95% the owners don't allow alot of traffic but people leave their campers there all year and some like I did have decks. My campground had a nice deck in front, some lights I didn't go nuts they were mostly for nite time horse shoes. The deck was nice for the rain so we could stillsit out and watch the fire. Along my one side I had put up a nice simple fence I guess about 12ft long only because I was on a path to the lake, pool and bath house and if you were doing shoes you'd get people cutting threw. But it was just a nice barn red fence nothing trashy. Also brought down some old rail road ties to mark out where I parked so if anyone came to hang out didn't have to tell anyone to back up or anything.  I also had enough room to keep my boat there. This was a pretty big site , there were circumstances. The people who actually had it they did all the water wells for the original owner years before and he set them up with it. They bought a couple of houses down there but their one daughter stayed there so I put my camper there too, it was awsome.  Go boating, canoeing, woods all around to go exploring ( Warton State Forest ), went 4 wheeling, craving tons of stuff. Towards the back they had places for tents. But you could come and stay for the season and pull out or as I said stay for the few months where most people came on the weekends.  This was at Bell Haven Campgrounds. There's plenty more around that area too. Also with a little driving you could head to a beach, Ocean City ,Atlantic City along there is the closest I'd say 30 to 60 minutes,  I could be off probably am but just giving you an idea I'm not sure where you live. 

In florida my Aunt has told me of places that are slums and ones that have full time but it's low numbers only gets higher with your snow birds and your weekenders all during their time of year. Hope this answers your question some and I didn't go to far off track, I do understand what your saying

You are responding to a topic that is 10 years old. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Kusani
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to bring closure to this one. Many suggestions on how to avoid certain campgrounds have been provide; also, apparently this isn't a major problem for most rv'ers as this question very seldom comes up in the forums.

Just take time to research the campground you wish to stay in and go from there. The types of campgrounds desired by the OP are definately available and really not difficult to find. Happy camping to all. ๐Ÿ™‚

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
JamesBr wrote:
I dont think most RV parks are for low income housing. Yes, there are trailer parks and I have seen ones that you may not feel safe during the day much less night. But the RV parks with seasonal sites depends on the owners/caregivers. If they allow the seasonal campers to let their trailer get run down and dingy looking I put all the blamed on them for allowing it. I can understand giving someone a break if they are tight on cash, but when you been to the same place two years in a row and nothing has changed it is all on the management.

I hear ya, but it's not so much even about how it looks, though that is critically important; it's also about the whole culture. I just don't want to go camping in a trailer park. I want to be surrounded by recreational campers and nature.

If a campground can't stay afloat without long term campers thats fine, sell or rent all the spaces you can for as long as you can, just don't advertise the place like it's a recreational campground or maybe separate it and have demarcation between the long term folks and those that are there for recreation for the weekend or week.

I own land and I swear this is making me want to dedicate a piece of it for folks that are strictly recreational camping. If I have to charge a premium because I don't have the income from the long term folks I'm sure there folks out there like me that would be glad to pay top dollar to ensure their family isn't surrounded by a low income housing project.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
sacmarata, I understand and share your concerns.

I'm new to this and wasn't particularly happy about the KOA we stayed at last month having truly permanent residents along two of the perimeters of the park. And by permanent, I mean they have put up chain link fencing so they can leave their dogs in the yard along with other stuff. Having those dogs "fence-run" and bark at us as we were out for walks was the least pleasant part of the trip (and made us glad we didn't have our dogs with us).

So I went to RV Park Reviews and left an honest review about that site, hoping to help the next person looking for something better.

On the plus side, the park worked hard to make it a nice social environment (a pot luck and karaoke the night we arrived). Yet it also had other quirks that mean we won't go back soon - the pull-through spots alternate directions so you are guaranteed to have your entrance facing that of another camper. Great for those traveling together but awkward with some strangers.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
The way I have learned to recognize those CG that might have long term workers or low income "parkers" is to check if they have a low monthly rate that isn't on par with their normal daily rate. For example, one CG I intended to stay at had a daily rate $50 and a monthly of 450. So I asked how many stay for a month or more - fully 80% of the sites I was told. Found an another CG and when I went by I was glad I did - looked like a pig sty.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
sacmarata wrote:
Well, it's pretty obvious that most everyone that replied missed my point. Maybe I didn't communicate it well enough.

When I go recreational camping with my family, I want to go to a campground that is recreational not a housing project.

State/corps campgrounds do have limitations but as explained to me by one of the abusers, all you have to do is register the spot in your uncles name the next 14 days, then moms, then sister, etc, etc, etc...

I appreciate everyones sentiments about why people may be there full time, and I completely understand why a lot of folks are and I know hard luck can fall on anyone...but thats not where I want to bring my family. I'm not judging anyone, I could be in the same boat myself at any given time with the economy the way it is...but when I take my family out for RECREATIONAL camping I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of peoples homes and all the full time resident "living" that happens in all the homes surrounding me.

Take offense if you want, but I'm not judging you or the ones you know that "camp" long term.

As far as moving down the road like some have suggested...WHERE? Where do I go that doesn't have long term campers? How do I identify. Is there a particular chain or type? I've tried 2 state parks and a KOA that both were loaded with long term campers (who all had the best spots btw). The KOA was trashy and I mean literally trashy.

I'm not digging for rock bottom prices and couldn't care less how much I paid within reason as long as I knew me and my family werent going to be surrounded by people who werent "camping" but were "living" there.

When I think about taking my family out camping I think about being surrounded by nature and fellow campers. I didn't expect to be surrounded by a trailer park and thats been my experience so far in the total of 5 trips I've made to what I would consider to be overpriced, not underpriced campgrounds.

I chose KOA because I expected a level of uniformity and cleanliness. After staying in one and checking out 3 others, I've learned that, to me, they are just trailer parks with a few actual campers.

Regardless of how valid the reason is for folks to be staying long term, I just don't want to be surrounded by them when I take the family recrerational camping and I was just looking for suggestions on how to find out how much any given place allows. Surely with as popular as camping is and as long as RV camping has been around there should be a pretty good network of information out there. The reviews I read about the places I have stayed at so far were stellar. I assume thats because most of the reviews came from what I saw to be most of the people staying there, ie. long termers.
I have responded to a few other posts on here but not to yours directly. I have no quarrel with your wanting to be in the company of other recreational campers as you apparently have no quarrel with long term residents. So in response to your question of how to determine such...your best bet in my opinion is to call the park directly and ask if they cater mostly to transient campers or long term/seasonal/permanent campers. If you are honest with them in about what you desire in their facilities I would be surprised if they were not honest in their responses. As far as a database of campgrounds that cater mostly to long term/seasonal/permanent campers I have never seen such information available. Good luck in your quest though.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
eb145 wrote:
Heck, I know of a private campground in Maryland that only accepts seasonals. No daily, weekend, or vacation RVers allowed. I found that out when I was driving by and stopped in to ask about their daily rates.

It is a clean and well run facility that is a nice rural resort.

I was disappointed.

Ed
My seasonal site located in the campground here in WV doesn't allow transients either. Lots of money sitting here in RVs and decks, etc. I have seen exactly one RV with a tarp and after the leak was repaired it was gone as well.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
Allowing long-term residents doesn't have to mean "TAPED-UP WINDOWS, DIRTY RVS, VISITORS CARS PARKED EVERYWHERE", and all the other insinuations that anyone staying more than a night are BUMS.
The long-term guests RVs can look as good as the overnighters; it just depends on the park establishing and then enforcing their rules. Before you get too critical, attempt to look at the reason for the 'long-term' RVer:
a. Came in from out-of-town for a 6-month, one year, or whatever temp. job.
b. A visiting, contract nurse who signs for 13 weeks, then may have contract
extended.
c. A person who is selling their home and building a new one.
d. A person whose home was damaged in a fire or windstorm.
e. A person has a large park model with 5 slides by the lake, and thoroughly
enjoys the RV Park life.
f. From out of area, got a job, and living in RV while house-hunt.
Believe me, the list of reasons go on and on and in most cases the persons are not living in the RV because they can't afford anything else.

Finally, if the RV park didn't have the steady income from those long-term guests, you would probably be paying a lot more for your nightly visit.
I will add to your list. I just don't want the roots that a permanent dwelling entails. I am quite content to have my RV on my seasonal site here in WV from April to October and then venture south from November to April. And I can agree that not all long term residents look like they starred in "The Grapes of Wrath". The seasonal sites here in WV are well maintained and the lawns are mowed regularly. People that store things out side have either the plastic or metal storage buildings that are also in good condition.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
I would like to see a standard where anything called an RV Park or Campground had to have less than 30% full time residents.
In most county/state/Federal parks there are 0% full time residents. I don't think you would have many private parks left if this was a mandate.

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's pretty obvious that most everyone that replied missed my point. Maybe I didn't communicate it well enough.

When I go recreational camping with my family, I want to go to a campground that is recreational not a housing project.

State/corps campgrounds do have limitations but as explained to me by one of the abusers, all you have to do is register the spot in your uncles name the next 14 days, then moms, then sister, etc, etc, etc...

I appreciate everyones sentiments about why people may be there full time, and I completely understand why a lot of folks are and I know hard luck can fall on anyone...but thats not where I want to bring my family. I'm not judging anyone, I could be in the same boat myself at any given time with the economy the way it is...but when I take my family out for RECREATIONAL camping I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of peoples homes and all the full time resident "living" that happens in all the homes surrounding me.

Take offense if you want, but I'm not judging you or the ones you know that "camp" long term.

As far as moving down the road like some have suggested...WHERE? Where do I go that doesn't have long term campers? How do I identify. Is there a particular chain or type? I've tried 2 state parks and a KOA that both were loaded with long term campers (who all had the best spots btw). The KOA was trashy and I mean literally trashy.

I'm not digging for rock bottom prices and couldn't care less how much I paid within reason as long as I knew me and my family werent going to be surrounded by people who werent "camping" but were "living" there.

When I think about taking my family out camping I think about being surrounded by nature and fellow campers. I didn't expect to be surrounded by a trailer park and thats been my experience so far in the total of 5 trips I've made to what I would consider to be overpriced, not underpriced campgrounds.

I chose KOA because I expected a level of uniformity and cleanliness. After staying in one and checking out 3 others, I've learned that, to me, they are just trailer parks with a few actual campers.

Regardless of how valid the reason is for folks to be staying long term, I just don't want to be surrounded by them when I take the family recrerational camping and I was just looking for suggestions on how to find out how much any given place allows. Surely with as popular as camping is and as long as RV camping has been around there should be a pretty good network of information out there. The reviews I read about the places I have stayed at so far were stellar. I assume thats because most of the reviews came from what I saw to be most of the people staying there, ie. long termers.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Camper wrote:
If it's not up to your standards, move on down the road. I don't see the problem. If the owner allows it that's their right.
I have spoken to several campground owners over the years and getting long term tenants is becoming the norm. They have continuous income and generally the long term people pay their own electric bills. Now this is generally not the case in popular areas/near popular attractions. This past winter I did stay in a park in TX that included the electric bill but it was about the same as paying a lower monthly rate and paying for the electricity.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think most RV parks are for low income housing. Yes, there are trailer parks and I have seen ones that you may not feel safe during the day much less night. But the RV parks with seasonal sites depends on the owners/caregivers. If they allow the seasonal campers to let their trailer get run down and dingy looking I put all the blamed on them for allowing it. I can understand giving someone a break if they are tight on cash, but when you been to the same place two years in a row and nothing has changed it is all on the management.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

RedBearn
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how many of you are full timers? I got started RVing in 2004 when Hurricane Ivan destroyed my Beach House. There was no place to rent or buy because of the destruction. I bought a Safari DP to live in and moved into a military RV Park. I made friends of a lifetime there and return for a few months twice a year. We have two rigs there that belong to instructors at the Navy Flight School and the XO of the base living there full time. There is no trashy rigs and the area is always clean and nice. Of course, we are all either active Duty or Retired Military and that may have something to do with "good order and discipline" we are used to. The spots aren't cheap, not the 1200 a month I'm paying right now but enough to discourage those without a good income. When I am on the road I wait until time to get off for the day, around 4:00 for me, and check my "Exit" book to see what's available. Then call the nearest campground. I suggest you live your own life and let others live theirs. If you don't like a place, hitch up and move. That's what's great about our lifestyle, change. Happy Camping everyone!
Jim Welch