cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground Store Wholesaler?

2008FX4
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about opening a small camp store at our campground. Was wondering if anyone knew of a good wholesaler?
TV: 2008 Ford F-250 FX4 6.4L Twin Turbo PSD
TT: 2011 Forest River Flagstaff 831RLSS
19 REPLIES 19

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be in for a rude awakening. Small fish retailers who have very low volumes are going to pay more for the things you are most likely to sell from the "wholesalers" than you are going to pay just buying them at Walmart and putting them on your shelves. Wholesalers often require large minimums so you might need to order 144 sewer hoses or 500 bottle of suntan lotion to get the good, wholesale price. Do you really want to tie up all that money in inventory and all that space in storage to be able to sell that sewer hose for $15.00 instead of $18.00 all in the interest of making a $6.00 profit. Remember, you are not completing with Walmart, you are competing with the time and hassle of taking a trip to Walmart to save a couple of bucks on something you need now. As profit centers go, camp stores are usually a pretty small piece of the pie.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:
Three major RV parts distributors, Stag Parkway, Coast Distrusting, and Northwest Trailer parts (NTP) have all been purchased be a large automotive and RV parts distributor. From articles I have read the new pricing structure is making things more difficult for small RV dealers and campground that stock RV accessories to compete with large Internet dealers.

Looks like LKQ Corp is (or did) acquire Coast Dist.

Maybe time to toss my Dealer Prices book!..:B

~

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:
Three major RV parts distributors, Stag Parkway, Coast Distrusting, and Northwest Trailer parts (NTP) have all been purchased be a large automotive and RV parts distributor. From articles I have read the new pricing structure is making things more difficult for small RV dealers and campground that stock RV accessories to compete with large Internet dealers.

This. There are some regional distributors out there, and one or more of them will grow to offer some competition, because so far I have just about nothing good to say about the consolidation- higher prices, less service, more hassles.
-- Chris Bryant

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
For RV parts and accessories, you might try talking to the folks at Stag-Parkway. Stag is the distributor that RV shops like PPL use for both on the shelf inventory and online drop-ship sales.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2008FX4 wrote:
We are thinking about opening a small camp store at our campground. Was wondering if anyone knew of a good wholesaler?

What items for the camp store?

Small volume -
You may simply want to purchase basic items for re-sale at the nearest Costco or WalMart.

RV items - you may want to do the same for basic RV items like sewer hoses, electrical adapters etc. (WalMart RV section).

Your markup represents the convenience (time & travel) of saving the buyer a trip "somewhere" to do the same thing.

Fishing & Camping supplies - contact "Stansport" (Google it), and contact their cooperate offices to discuss retailing their products (IIRC - located in Vernon, CA. In the past, they had no problem with small wholesale orders to qualified retailers).

Although your sales volume may not make this worthwhile, but -
you could check to see if your RV related items qualifies as a retailer via the "Coast Connection Distribution System" (distribution centers in CA, OR, UT, AZ, TX, CO, IN, WI, PA, NY, GA, FL, & AK.)
Corporate Offices are in Morgan Hill CA (800-528-7973)

You can see/peruse the *retail* Coast Catalog in many RV stores - size of a big city phone book!
(of course, you will *NOT* see the "Confidential Dealer Price Book for RV and Marine Parts and Accessories")..:W

~

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2008FX4 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into sams club. Do they sell fishing and camping stuff also?

No.

Camping stuff, well all I have every seen is perhaps a tent and that is a very seasonal item, no fold up camp chairs, no electrical, sewage or other camping stuff..

I have never seen any fishing stuff (poles, reels, ect).

Personally, a lot of Sam's club stuff is not sold in packaging for resale. Rather it is in large BULK containers or packages.

Sort of depends on what you are wanting to buy.

Candy bars, Pop Tarts, soft drinks, yep, those are in retail packaging..

Meats, cheese, frozen goods absolutely not. You would have to spend time on cutting up and repackaging them yourself..

Sam's has a very limited selection of items and often the selections changes and to me is not something I would consider as a dependable source..

Pricing is all over the map.. We find their meats a better deal and better quality but it is in very large packages (IE 2-4 lbs packages of steak or chicken and 4-10 lbs for ground beef).

Soft drinks, cans typically 5 to 10 cents MORE per 12 oz can than a local food store but 2 liter bottles 50 cents cheaper than local store..

You can get pretty good pricing on Sam's brand 20 oz bottled water..

Keeping in mind everything you buy you WILL have to markup DRASTICALLY in order to turn a profit on your investment.. The more time YOU personally spend hunting down and buying "bargains" the more you will have to mark up..

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Another place to check for distributors are jail supply shops. It sounds strange, but a friend of mine who runs a CG actually has found good deals there for sample/trial size products, as well as generic kits of stuff to have. Plus, they usually have generics as well.

As for food, as above, there may be a good wholesaler in the area, so you might not have to depends on Costco or Sam's.

2008FX4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into sams club. Do they sell fishing and camping stuff also?
TV: 2008 Ford F-250 FX4 6.4L Twin Turbo PSD
TT: 2011 Forest River Flagstaff 831RLSS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen "Great Value" items in camp stores before. That being Walmart brand.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
What I see in small stores tends to run toward Schwann's and Walmart.
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

lampooner
Explorer
Explorer
I live on a lake in SC. It is a resort area with several local campgrounds. They all seem to use Sams Club as their wholesaler.
Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.wilcor.net

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Grocery wise you could use Hackney out of Huntsville or McLane out of the Montgomery area, both are national distributors. We currently use McLane and have had good luck with them. RV product wise, you'll have to do an internet search for that. Local Coke or Pepsi will contract out for space in your store and will bring in coolers if needed. If you need ice, try Ready Ice they are a regional distributor. Chip vendora such as Frito Lay or Golden Flake will also deliver weekly and credit out dated product.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian