cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping World Take-Over of RV Sales Here??

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
What happened to the rv sales link here? It seems to lead only to camping world now. I haven't check that link in years, but now that I have, I have to say that's a monopoly that retracts from the free-exchange of information.

I emailed about this last week, and received what I'm sure was an automated response, but haven't *really* gotten an answer, so I'm asking here.

What happened to individuals (and other dealers, for that matter) being able to list their rigs here?
Why? Because at my age, I have maybe 40 more chances to see flowers bloom.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

16 REPLIES 16

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
I signed on here in 2005; and prior to that I lurked for a long time. During both "lurking" and up to 2008 (when I finally bought my RV), I searched here for rigs and found people and dealers from all over the country in the standard "RV Sales" link that was/is here. My guess is that by opening up advertising to individuals and dealers, this site was built.

Just sorry to see it be gobbled up. Next thing you know, Google will buy Good Sam.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
There used to be a free classified section. I posted a few ads but had zero replies. There were very few ads posted. I believe it died due to lack of interest.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen any commercial web site that supplies links to their competitors. And for free.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
It's the golden rule. Them that have the gold, make the rules. The best way to beat the competition is to own them. Yes, I understand that having a "for sale by owner" or other for sale parts of this forum would crush Camping worlds ability to stay in business.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
whistlebritches wrote:
It does appear that the Affinity Group wants to dominate the rv industry, i.e. Good Sams, Camping World, this site, buying lots of rv dealers, Motorhome and Trailer Life magazine, Woodalls, etc. I think the first person was right, this is getting to be a monopoly.
It's nothing new. All been under the same roof for a very long time. but I doubt it will become a monopoly. And remember that RV.net isn't the only game in town!!! There are many other non-affiliated RV forums out there!
The RV Forum Community
iRV2 Forums
Fiberglass RV forums
and then there are the many club sponsored forums - FMCA, Escapees, and many others, and them many of the owner group forums that are extremely active.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

whistlebritches
Explorer
Explorer
It does appear that the Affinity Group wants to dominate the rv industry, i.e. Good Sams, Camping World, this site, buying lots of rv dealers, Motorhome and Trailer Life magazine, Woodalls, etc. I think the first person was right, this is getting to be a monopoly.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It's their site
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
One thing sorely absent from this site is a for sale/trade section for members here to garage sale stuff that they have grown out of of or no longer fits their new rig.

A few years back there was a brief experiment with that kind of a section on the site, and I happened to connect with another member that was selling a pair of CIPA extendable tow mirrors that fit my truck, power and heated. He was selling because he bought a new truck that came with factory tow mirrors, and he took these off before he traded his truck in. I got a $400 set of mirrors for $200, and in turn sold my McKesh mirrors to a couple from TX that had just bought their first trailer.

Other good examples are TT accessories like hitches for folks that move on to a 5er, and 5er accessories for folks that buy a MH, etc.

CW thinks that these kinds of sales take away from their business, but honestly, not everybody has the $$ to buy everything new all the time. A buy/sell/trade forum for members is complimentary to the CW business, not competitive, but nobody at Affinity wants to believe that. I gave up stuffing the suggestion box with that idea...

Not sure how that happened LOL

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing sorely absent from this site is a for sale/trade section for members here to garage sale stuff that they have grown out of of or no longer fits their new rig.

A few years back there was a brief experiment with that kind of a section on the site, and I happened to connect with another member that was selling a pair of CIPA extendable tow mirrors that fit my truck, power and heated. He was selling because he bought a new truck that came with factory tow mirrors, and he took these off before he traded his truck in. I got a $400 set of mirrors for $200, and in turn sold my McKesh mirrors to a couple from TX that had just bought their first trailer.

Other good examples are TT accessories like hitches for folks that move on to a 5er, and 5er accessories for folks that buy a MH, etc

CW thinks that these kinds of sales take away from their business, but honestly, not everybody has the $$ to buy everything new all the time. A buy/sell/trade forum for members is complimentary to the CW business, not competitive, but nobody at Affinity wants to believe that. I gave up stuffing the suggestion box with that idea...

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t even imagine thinking that a Camping World RV sales site would be expected to host another dealers web salesโ€ฆ I thought it was initially set up as a sales outlet for RV.net members personal RVโ€Sโ€ฆ I am certain that would have been hard to policeโ€ฆ

I am thinking they did the best thing with itโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Where ya been cruisin', Susan? :B

I've been a member for a couple of years, (and a lurker for long before that)...and I didn't know there ever HAD BEEN a "for sale" part of the site!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
If I recall correctly, that sight was part of the "Blog" ....kind of an experiment. It did not last long, refining the site was a priority. Progress.

Good Sam did not "take over"...it has always been part of the "family"...consolidation........
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
But this was not always so....back in 08 when I was shopping around, the sales listing site was wide open.

So when did all others have to take a hike? ie: when did good sam either take over or shut others out?
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Camping world, Good Sam, Trailer Life magazine own this forum web site. Need any more be said?

You forgot to mention motorhome magazine and woodalls as well.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L