cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

can a ford ranger tow trailer on steep mtns rds?

EASY_RIDER
Explorer
Explorer
I want to use this 2021 ford ranger, with a 4 cy engine with turbo on it to tow a trailer, while traveling in mountain roads, pulling about 4500 lbs.
I also will tow it behind my motorhome in some cases. thanks, Tom
45 REPLIES 45

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
EASY.RIDER wrote:
I should have added, with the tow pkg added it is rated capable of towing 7500lbs. however I am very concerned weather this truck can handle my load going up steep inclines and also going down hill.

Plenty of power for going up hill. Any trailer requiring a Class III hitch needs trailer brakes. PERIOD !

Gasoline engines have good "engine braking", unlike diesels. You can manually downshift the transmission to increase the engine breaking.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
EASY.RIDER wrote:
thanks for the response, think i will forget about my plans for the ford ranger. think I need something more heavy duty.
You have more power and less weight than me and I been over plenty of hills. Hitch up and go have some fun. No diesel needed by a long shot with 4500 pounds. Don't worry these turbo charged engines run at much lower RPM that what in implied with people using the work "screaming". Most likely you glide effortlessly over the hills without issue.

When I said screaming, I was referring to my experience with engine/transmission braking on downhill grades with a... 2014 3.5 Ecoboost. The engine had more than enough power to make it up (without screaming), but struggled to keep speeds under control coming down without the brakes.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
EASY.RIDER wrote:
thanks for the response, think i will forget about my plans for the ford ranger. think I need something more heavy duty.
You have more power and less weight than me and I been over plenty of hills. Hitch up and go have some fun. No diesel needed by a long shot with 4500 pounds. Don't worry these turbo charged engines run at much lower RPM that what in implied with people using the work "screaming". Most likely you glide effortlessly over the hills without issue.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're within rated specs, go and enjoy... unless you want an excuse for a bigger truck ๐Ÿ™‚

the further you go over rated tow and payload numbers, the less fun the tow experience will be.

blt2ski
Shaving cream!
Hook it and go! I bought a 285/305 rated V6 in a full size half ton a couple if months ago. Granted I have yet to be above 700', I've had no issues towing a 6500 and a swag 8000 lbs of concrete mixer trailer behind me. It does every bit as well or better than my BB 454s pulling the 6500 lb trailer.
You have a turbo as noted, so you have sea level HP up to 8000-10000' if elevation. Said V10, 454s, and my V6 lose 3% per 1000' gained. In yellowstone at 10,000', you still have potentially 100% of your HP, those others have lost 30%!
Get w rounded trailer body, keep frontal are to 60-80 sq ft, I'm having a hard time thinking you're going to have issues. I probably would have bout the 300HP turbo I4 gm has in their1500s if anew truck was in my budget. Alasit was not, so a used truck it is. I would have no issues towing a 4-6000 lb trailer aerodynamically designed with ANY of the current model turbo 4 banger or the V6 like I have.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

EASY_RIDER
Explorer
Explorer

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
bgum wrote:
If you don't mind pedestrians passing you it should be just fine. Thats a lot of weight.

So apparently 270 horsepower is insufficient??? Thatโ€™s more than the original v10 made.

OP- the same motor has been in the Explorer for some time, and Iโ€™ve never heard a single power complaint.

And I had a V10 and in some situations pedestrians could have passed me. Can it pull it-sure it can-will I be comfortable-not really.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Since it's within the specs from the factory, it's a fair bet that ,,,,
Yes it will pull it.
Will that little 4 banger be screaming?
Most likely.
Will it provide enough drag on downhill slopes?
Likely not , without a lot of braking.
Do they offer a Tow/haul mode on those? Some method of forced downshifting would make a big difference, and with it, it may not be bad.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weather is an additional factor to consider IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

EASY_RIDER
Explorer
Explorer
I should have added, with the tow pkg added it is rated capable of towing 7500lbs. however I am very concerned weather this truck can handle my load going up steep inclines and also going down hill. This same pkg has been used in the 2019,2020 and now the 2021 models. Tom

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
If you don't mind pedestrians passing you it should be just fine. Thats a lot of weight.

So apparently 270 horsepower is insufficient??? Thatโ€™s more than the original v10 made.

OP- the same motor has been in the Explorer for some time, and Iโ€™ve never heard a single power complaint.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Keep the trailer GVWR within your tow rating for best results.
Watch the hitch weight does not use up all your payload.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
jahupe make good points about DEcending.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Going up, you'll work the engine and spend the entire climb in boost. I doubt power will be an issue, but wear might be in the distant future if you tow often enough.

Going down I expect you'll be working the brakes because I don't imagine that engine/trans will offer enough hold back for the truck and 4500lb trailer to be of much use. Sounds like you might be setting yourself up for some white knuckle descents, but I've never tried that combination and I doubt many others here have.

I know my old Ecoboost 3.5 struggled to hold speed coming down 7-8% grades with a ~6K trailer, or at least scream doing it and still required some assistance. Your smaller engine will be notably less effective.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s