cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can anyone share their experiences with Uber?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I recently started using Uber to get around when my wife is using our one and only vehicle. I get picked up within 4-5 minutes when closer to town and in about 15-20 minutes when I'm at our campground. So far so good.

I'm hoping to see if anyone else has any experiences with this service. Would it be possible to forgo a toad, rental car or taxis using only Uber?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
32 REPLIES 32

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, when I drove for Yellow Taxi in Minneapolis, I first had to visit the Mpls. Taxi Licensing office. They had a County Probation/Parole liaison officer at his own desk. The taxi business was one that a released felon could easily gain entry.
You probably have less risk of riding with a "bad guy" using Uber than a commercial Taxi service. Also, in the TC area, if you hire a commercial taxi, there is about a 95% chance it will be driven by a Somali. They have cornered the taxi service as either an entry into employment or as their own business.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jcarlilesiu
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all about finding the best mouse trap.

The cab companies have been spoiled in what amounts to essentially a monopoly. They only allow so many cabs, the city sets the rate, and if you want a ride, you have to deal with it.

The cabs are stinky, old, and the drivers are often careless in their driving (they don't care about the car, often its rented).

Uber found a way to hook people up with each other to provide rides. The technology far surpasses "radio dispatched" cab systems, and there is no exchange of money.

Of course the cabbies are throwing a fit. Their monopoly has been uprooted.

Cabs have the same issues as Uber

jcarlilesiu
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Uber requires you to have insurance. However, most personal insurance policies will not cover you if you're using your vehicle for a commercial purpose. Get injured in an uber car, and your injuries may not be covered by the drivers insurance and you may be on your own. Uber, at this point, steps back and says "hey, we're not a transportation company, were a technology company. We just match riders up with independent drivers who told us they have insurance, so we're not responsible".

When a client is not in the car, then your personal insurance kicks in. Afterall, at that point, you aren't using it for commercial purposes.

When a client is in the car, then Uber's commercial policy goes into effect and covers the vehicle and passengers.

jfkmk wrote:
Yeah, they want pictures of your car. That's great, you will get a car without rust. What about safety items?

Uber requires that the car be no older than 10 years.

Based on my looking at most other drivers, uber cars are late model with under 200,000 miles. In my case, I drove a Cadillac with 70,000 on it.

Many cabs in Chicago that I ride in often have obvious suspension issues, have half a million miles on them, and almost all are showing "Service Engine Soon" light.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Uber requires you to have insurance. However, most personal insurance policies will not cover you if you're using your vehicle for a commercial purpose. Get injured in an uber car, and your injuries may not be covered by the drivers insurance and you may be on your own. Uber, at this point, steps back and says "hey, we're not a transportation company, were a technology company. We just match riders up with independent drivers who told us they have insurance, so we're not responsible".

Yeah, they want pictures of your car. That's great, you will get a car without rust. What about safety items? In New Jersey they inspect for emissions, but nothing else. Someone using uber in my state may be happy to know the car they're stepping into isn't a huge polluter (provided it has a valid inspection sticker) but what about brakes, tires, lights, front end components, etc? Cabs are much more regulated on safety items.

Background checks. There's been documentated cases of uber drivers attacking drivers, keeping items left in the car, etc. can it happen in a cab? Sure. But remember, uber is going to step back and say they're a tech company and if you have issues go after the driver since he worked independently. There's also been documentated cases of people with extensive records being able to become uber drivers. All of which is why they started uber x or plus or whatever they call it. Basically the background check is more extensive. But, it's not available everywhere, and you pay extra for it.

There are reasons cabs are more expensive. They're heavily regulated, the companies are forced to have the appropriate insurance, the drivers go through a more rigorous background check (and the companies can be held responsible for them) and the cares are inspected for safety items.

Almost ever city has apps where you can summon a cab much like uber. I'll stick to them. A few bucks saved isn't worth the risk, at least to me.

jcarlilesiu
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
The only thing it did was ask me to scan in my driver's license, insurance, registration and proof that I'm eligible to work here. That's it. Got a nice welcome video. No fees, no vetting at all.

I drove for Uber when my business was slow.

The process to start driving was a bit more extensive than that when I went through it. They wanted photos of the vehicle, inside and out, proof of insurance, copies of your drivers license, social security number for a third party background check, proof of insurance, and a host of other information.

I stopped, because I am quite a distance from the metro area of Chicago, and I found it to be unprofitable because of the distance to get into the money zone.

As far as personal information. The uber system for drivers doesn't actually provide any credit card information at all to the driver. When the call comes in, it simply gives the driver and opportunity to accept or reject the fare (it goes to the closest car first). Once accepted, the system gives you the clients first name only and mobile phone number.

After you have picked up the fare, you "start" the fare and it calculates time and mileage just like a cab. At the destination, the driver "ends" the fare and its shows how much was made. Never is the driver actually provided the CC information.

In all actuality, its a pretty good system. Far more technologically advanced than traditional cabs, and in most cases cheaper.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Business News Network, were talking about how Vancouver BC outlawed Uber cabs a while backlong and now realizing how many employers there are for tech sector and the types, there is a strong push to allow them to operate again. Don't know the full facts just got a glimpse on the TV a couple months ago and what little I saw was very positive on Uber.

We'd definitely use Uber again as stated before - Cabbies have caused this by not keeping their vehicles in tip top shape, or taking any fare just because. As for two price points referenced one mid afternoon but double after midnight which to us is unsociable hours so we'd expect to pay more to be honest. Before we set foot in any form of public transportation we always ask the rate to our destination.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
BubbaChris wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
BubbaChris wrote:
I'm indifferent to the safety concerns about Uber compared to taxis. We lost a friend 11 years ago when a taxi driver in Las Vegas made a very poor decision with my friend as one of his passengers.

My condolences, but that's kind of a silly argument to get in a car with a potential criminal, possibly no insurance and questionable licensing.

I suspect you're throwing around claims without doing any research. Here's another documented risk with a legit taxi services, convicted sex offenders as drivers. That doesn't necessarily present a risk since in some states you can gain that status by getting caught peeing in public. But on the other hand...

My original point was you may be making assumptions about Uber cars/drivers that may not be an accurate way to differentiate between the two types of services.

Go to a big city and ask a few taxi drivers for odometer readings, plenty with 100K, 200K or more. If they're truly maintained well, no big deal. But you don't know if they're skimping to make ends meet.

That's all?! I drove livery cars for a while...did a long run (Boston to Albany and back) in a Town Car that had 585,000 miles! It was retired a couple years later due to hairline cracks in the frame...it had 640,000 miles. 350,000+ on a taxi is NORMAL.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
holstein13 wrote:
dieharder wrote:
Here in Ottawa, Uber driver's are being fined by by-law officers when caught. They are bandit cabs.
Honestly, this seems a bit extreme to me. "Bandit" cabs? That makes it sound as if they are holding up folks at gunpoint. Others mentioned the potential dangers of an unknown driver.

Simple, really: the regular cabbies are mad at the competition, and are putting the screws to the politicians they have in their pockets! The real BANDITS are the ones trying to protect their monopoly!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
After trying to follow this thread, I had to stop, & Google Uber, to see what it is, as I've never heard of it. Guess that's what you get when you live in the country & only been in a taxi about 3 time in my live. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Same here! Are UBER and WAGON-UP connected in some way?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
BubbaChris wrote:
I'm indifferent to the safety concerns about Uber compared to taxis. We lost a friend 11 years ago when a taxi driver in Las Vegas made a very poor decision with my friend as one of his passengers.

My condolences, but that's kind of a silly argument to get in a car with a potential criminal, possibly no insurance and questionable licensing.

I suspect you're throwing around claims without doing any research. Here's another documented risk with a legit taxi services, convicted sex offenders as drivers. That doesn't necessarily present a risk since in some states you can gain that status by getting caught peeing in public. But on the other hand...

My original point was you may be making assumptions about Uber cars/drivers that may not be an accurate way to differentiate between the two types of services.

Go to a big city and ask a few taxi drivers for odometer readings, plenty with 100K, 200K or more. If they're truly maintained well, no big deal. But you don't know if they're skimping to make ends meet.

I'm not in a city where I can try Lyft or Uber, but I have spent $1,000's on private vacation home rentals that weren't "hotels" and didn't die of CO poisoning from the heater. Which would be a comparable assumption in the lodging world.

In New Jersey they are currently trying to outlaw uber and lyft for exactly the reasons I stated. I'm sorry, but I dont quite get your home rental comparison.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was in Vegas for a business meeting, I could easily get a ride from the airport to the office but it was a 45 minute wait to get a taxi to come out and pick people up to go back to the airport. Drivers don't like going out west of the strip, I guess.

I think a couple of the guys were trying uber/lyft to see if they could get a ride faster.

The cab I took from the airport was dirty and stinky. I should have thought about uber/lyft.

By offering an unpleasant experience, cab drivers have created a bit of an opportunity for uber/lyft to step in and offer a better experience for passengers.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
BubbaChris wrote:

I'm not in a city where I can try Lyft or Uber, but I have spent $1,000's on private vacation home rentals that weren't "hotels" and didn't die of CO poisoning from the heater. Which would be a comparable assumption in the lodging world.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
In most cities, unregistered cabs are called Gypsy cabs. I have never heard of the term bandit cabs.

You can not pay cash to รœber. They start a customer profile for you and track and rate you so future drivers see your file when you request a ride.

They also change rates based on supply and demand.

You might pay $20 to ride downtown at 5:00 pm and $40 at midnight.

But the CCand privacy part is a show stopper for me.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Just as an example: I just signed up as an Uber X driver. The only thing it did was ask me to scan in my driver's license, insurance, registration and proof that I'm eligible to work here. That's it. Got a nice welcome video. No fees, no vetting at all.
Thanks, that's very interesting information. How long did it take to get approved? Did you simply enter the info and it instantly approved you? Did you try opening the app as a driver to see if they will authorize you to pick someone up? I'm curious about the differences in the US approval process vs. Canada. The US driver told me he had to wait a week before being approved because of extensive background checks.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`