cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my Toyota Tundra handle this trailer.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a new trailer and want to ensure our tow vehicle can handle it, the specifications for both follow:

Tow Vehicle - 2000 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with the 4.7 v8 Specifications:
· Maximum payload capacity of 1406lbs
· Maximum towing capacity of 7100lbs
· Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 6050lbs
· Gross Axle Weight Rating Front 3160lbs Rear 3760lbs

Travel Trailer - 2012 Jayco Jayflight model 22fb Specifications:

· UVW 4370lbs.
· GVWR of 6500lbs.
· CCC of 2130lbs.
· Dry hitch weight of 570lbs.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU
12 REPLIES 12

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on weighing the truck loaded for a typical RV trip. Figure your TT will be at its GVWR, and that the tongue weight will be 12-13% or around 800#.
Suspect you will overload the rear axle of the TV, but then, I think that tends to be the case with a lot of Tundra owners due to its 1/2 ton suspension.
I looked into a 5.7L Tundra for our 7500# trailer below (rated to tow 10,000#), but after weighing our truck & trailer numerous times (per axle & per tire), the rear axle of a newer 5.7L Tundra would have been over its GAWR by 1000# even though the TT is way under the Tundra's tow rating. FWIW!
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
We saw the Endeavor on display last weekend and watched the movie documenting the move through Los Angeles. The Tacoma was only in one brief scene and it looks like all it did was pull the shuttle on a freeway overpass and waste 8 hours changing out the equipment used for the rest of the move.

Linky

ChooChooMan74 wrote:
I don't see any issue with your tundra and that trailer. If you would have gotten the bigger engine, then you could have towed the space shuttle.

DarylSue
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
I don't see any issue with your tundra and that trailer. If you would have gotten the bigger engine, then you could have towed the space shuttle.

LOL!
Daryl/Sue, part time kids and 2 GC

2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 4x4
w/HD tow pkg.
Voyager BC
Reese Dual Cam/WD

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 3900 lbs (yellow sticker) TT with a 250hp 1999 f150, similar capabilities. Works fine very stable. Only weakness is the 4sp transmission in the mountains. If it goes into 2nd gear it gets a bit noisy. But we get everywhere we need to. Traffic flows around you. 9 to 10 mpg.

Kf4mnc
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:

The 4.7 L is the largest engine available for the 2000 model year.

OP - you will be fine! I tow a similar trailer with my 2008 double cab 4.7 L tundra and I'm sure mine is a little heavier than your truck.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
tow rating > trailer GVWR

That's a good sign. Theoretically you should be good to go. Consider, this though:

1. Your "real" tow rating will always be less than rated, due to passengers and cargo in the truck. A typical dad, mom, 2.1 pre-teen children, and their stuff, will not reduce the rating appreciably.

2. Your trailer will never weigh the full 6500lbs, unless you have odd needs or odd activities.

So, if you're "typical" you should be okay.

Now, if you're 400lbs and the wife is 300lbs and you've got three kids at 250lbs each, there could be a problem. You are already overloading the Tundra with just the family on board. You have ZERO tow capacity.

Another scenario, you gotta-gotta have bicycles, kayaks, rock climbing gear, street luges, a quad or golf cart, and wood for a week's worth of bonfires, etc. in the back of the truck, it's probably overloaded too. You have ZERO tow capacity.

If your camping "thing" is traveling from flea market to flea market as a LEADSMITH, with all your wares and equipment, once again, the truck is probably overloaded before you even start, and you have ZERO tow capacity.

Again, under NORMAL, TYPICAL circumstances, this setup should be okay. Be reasonable about what you bring along, and you'll be fine.

In a typical scenario, the real tow rating for the Tundra will be around 6200-6500lbs. The real weight of the trailer will be 5800-6000lbs.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to go.

Get a WD hitch and sway control and dial both in correctly.

Enjoy your rig.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
You most likely will be limited by the TV's GVWR rather than by "towing capacity".

If you really want to know how much trailer you can tow, you should load the Tundra approximately as it would be for camping. Then weigh the loaded TV and add 100# for a weight distributing hitch.

Subtract the sum from the TV's GVWR. The result is the maximum allowable vertical load which may be imposed by the trailer.

With a properly-adjusted WDH, the vertical load imposed by the TT will be approximately 80% of the loaded tongue weight.

For example, if your loaded TV weighs 6300# and its GVWR is 7050#, the maximum allowable added load is 7050 - (6300+100) = 650#.

Then, with WD, the maximum allowable loaded tongue weight would be 650/0.8 = about 800#.

Assuming a tongue weight percentage of 13%, the maximum allowable loaded trailer weight would be about 800/0.13 = 6200#.

So, you really need to know how much the loaded TV (plus WDH) is going to weigh.

Ron

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Your OK, just keep an eye on the tongue weight
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
We are considering a new trailer and want to ensure our tow vehicle can handle it, the specifications for both follow:

Tow Vehicle - 2000 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with the 4.7 v8 Specifications:
· Maximum payload capacity of 1406lbs
· Maximum towing capacity of 7100lbs
· Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 6050lbs
· Gross Axle Weight Rating Front 3160lbs Rear 3760lbs

Travel Trailer - 2012 Jayco Jayflight model 22fb Specifications:

· UVW 4370lbs.
· GVWR of 6500lbs.
· CCC of 2130lbs.
· Dry hitch weight of 570lbs.

Cake.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Fully loaded(w/o water)I would think your weight is under 6K. Should not be a problem with a tow rating of 7100lbs. We've towed our loaded 5er(about 7K) for almost 11 years now without any trouble. Our tundra is a 2001 4.7 2wd extended cab. You will be fine.
E.Lee Galik