cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can RV anti freeze be re-used?

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year when I drained my anti freeze, I put it back in the original bottles.

Can I re-use the anti freeze, or is it not advised?
20 REPLIES 20

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
wkswenson wrote:
Just be careful when purchasing "cheap" anti-freeze - review the contents....

Not all RV Antifreeze the same

From the link: "That other antifreeze contender, propylene glycol, is also an alcohol of sorts. Technically a โ€œdouble alcohol,โ€ this is not like a โ€œdouble shot.โ€ But like grain alcohol, it also raises the freezing point of water."

That makes zero sense. The intent is to LOWER the freezing point, not raise it.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't bother, because it means something else to store. Were I in a colder climate, I'd blow the lines out, run the RV antifreeze, then blow the lines out again, leaving a good amount in the traps and toilets.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
15-30mintues of time and effort.

:? Putting the cost issue aside, how the heck are you doing this to take that long? I take an empty bottle and hold it under each low point drain, open the valve. 15-30 seconds maybe. Not much effort at all.

lets see, climb into rV to open some faucets. crawl under RV to unscrew the two drain plugs. fill bucket, etc. and repeat.
but I think I do like the idea of just letting hot and cold low point drains to drain, either on ground or into bucket to dump into black tank.
bumpy

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
15-30mintues of time and effort.

:? Putting the cost issue aside, how the heck are you doing this to take that long? I take an empty bottle and hold it under each low point drain, open the valve. 15-30 seconds maybe. Not much effort at all.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You are probably looking at around $2-5 savings but an extra 15-30mintues of time and effort.

I make enough that the cost savings doesn't justify the hassle.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wkswenson wrote:

I "reviewed" that and it was just a bunch of jibber jabber to be able to write a column.
I think saving it and dumping it into the tanks to ensure they don't freeze is a good idea, but for a few $$$ why not use fresh?
bumpy

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
Before reuse'n Propylene glycol I'd quick test the dilution ratio with a Refractometer.

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
My RV takes less than 2 gallons to Winterize. At $2.50 or less per gallon, why reuse it. A few years back i purchased 15 gallons of RV antifreeze at $ 1 dollar a gallon, (seasonal sell off) . still have 5 gallons on hand after winterizing our unit Wed afternoon.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It will be diluted and less effective. The risk is not worth the savings.
Buy fresh anti freeze it is not that expensive! If you are taking the time to do it. Do it right.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this may be just a dumb early Friday morning question.

If one blows the lines out completely, and ensures there is no water coming out any of the fixtures; why introduce the RV antifreeze if things are dry??

as for re-using engine coolant, one has to be careful of the Ph if you are reusing it. It "may" look ok, but.....
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Before I went full time I'd rewinterized up to seven times per year. I blow the lines, install the antifreeze, then immediately blow the lines leaving the line to the toilet and sprayer full of antifreeze. I'd catch as much of the antifreeze as I could.

IMO the key to reusing is blowing the lines first.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea until I thought about it. If you put the product in your lines to prevent water from freezing it will come out diluted. If you have no water in your lines why use it? I say why risk it.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grey Mountain wrote:
I am far from being an expert on this, but I see no reason why not. My maintenance guys recently drained my the radiator on my pusher and reused the antifreeze, so if automobile antifreeze can be reused, don't see why the pink stuff could not as well.
I don't normally have enough pink stuff to make it worth while. I blow out my system with air, put pink stuff in until it runs through all the faucets, run a little into the water heater and the fresh water holding tank, then blow it out again. That second blowing out eliminates a lot of the after-taste of pink stuff.

GM

Well the antifreeze in the Pushed Diesel is a lot different than the pink stuff.

#1. That Diesel Pusher has a huge cooling system, so if the antifreeze was clean and not too old your mechanic save you a lot of money at about $10 to $15 per gal. for automotive antifreeze.

#2 the pink stuff is cheap, as state you can get for less than $3.00 per gal. if you watch sales. I never used more than a gallon in the old 28' 5er. We don't use in the new rig, except for the drains. If I did it would be less than two gallons. It is not worth the effort/risk in my opinion.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer

Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"