cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying a scooter (motorbike, not mobility scooter) ?

Maynard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering the possibility of mounting a platform to the rear of our 26 ft. Jayco travel trailer (not a fifth wheel) for the purpose of carrying a scooter. Thinking of something like a Yamaha Xmax 292 cc with a wet weight of approximately 400 lbs. Knowing that the rear bumper is only good for storing the sewer hose, such a carrier would have to be securely welded to the rectangular tube trailer frame itself. But then with an extra 400 lbs hanging off the rear end I can imagine a potential problem with the sway it might cause. Has anybody ever successfully done this?

2002 Jayco Eagle 264BH
2003 GMC 2500HD D/A CC

11 REPLIES 11

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I haul a Yamaha WR250R on an aluminum rack in a FRONT receiver hitch on my Silverado. I wanted it where I could keep an eye on it and it won't fit in the bed with my 5th wheel.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maynard wrote:
The best solution, and I don't even own a scoot yet, is to carry it in the bed. But then we'd have to take the cap off and I don't want to do that since the bed is full-time storage for various other camping gear. So it looks like this idea is pretty dead. Thanks for all the info.
They make high rise truck caps that you may be able to fit a scooter underneath.

Maynard
Explorer
Explorer
The best solution, and I don't even own a scoot yet, is to carry it in the bed. But then we'd have to take the cap off and I don't want to do that since the bed is full-time storage for various other camping gear. So it looks like this idea is pretty dead. Thanks for all the info.

2002 Jayco Eagle 264BH
2003 GMC 2500HD D/A CC

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at a trailer from side. If you put a bike, (and what all you need to hold it) on the back of trailer, how far behind the axles will that weight be? To counter-balance that weight, you will need 110% of that weight the same distance ahead of the axles. Now, are the axles overloaded?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
We actually DO take a scooter with us..honda pcx 150.. it fits neatly in the truck bed, with tailgate up..have a three-piece, 9-foot ramp..I just ride it in and strap it down

Concur with others that putting it on or at the back of the trailer could adversely affect tongue-weight percentage
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looked at carrying a bike on the back of our 5er. Too much weight. The bike we looked at was a Yamaha cross trail 250cc type. Wet weight is about 260#. Figured reinforcement of frame etc. would add at least another 75#. Canned the idea.

That scooter looks nice. In your situation I would carry it in the the truck bed.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
across the tongue of the trailer with the WDH adjusted for it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In bed of the truck would be your best bet for that much weight. Not only to much offset of tongue weight but to much weight that far back from the rear axle on the frame itself.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X-2 front of truck or in the bed.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
400 lbs on the rear of a tt is a lot. I've done 220 with a little 80 cc scoot, and it was very noticeable. remember, you take weight off the tongue as you add it to the rear of a tt, making sway more likely.
A front hitch and carrier on the truck, or putting the bike in the bed would be a preferable choice in most cases.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 5th wheel with the heavier hitch weight might be better able to lose a bit, but I don't think a bumper pull will be so forgiving. I would imagine you'll not lose a lot of weight at the ball, but sometimes it doesn't take much.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"