cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cell phone service

mabel
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good cell phone service that works when you are in areas away from freeways and cities. I plan on traveling west on us 2 from michigan
32 REPLIES 32

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've used AT&T several years and have only hit one dead spot and that's about an hour from home at a state park.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I think Verizon is best overall. For nothing but phone service Trac Fone is good, they seem to contract with all the carriers.

We have TracFone and it worked well in any place that had any service when we came back from Montana to Michigan, via US-2.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

tafman618
Explorer
Explorer
Encountered lost SPRINT connection last three times camping. Very disappointed in service since I had just added four smart phones. Hoped I could at least check the weather while camping, but no luck.

Contact SPRINT soon upon my return from the last trip. Relayed displeasure with service to SPRINT CSR. The CSR relayed most carriers share towers and when utilization rate is reached, the result is dropped calls. The CSR relayed when I drop a call to call SPRINT customer service so they can re-provision the phone for the strongest tower in the area. To me this sounded like a BS sales pitch, but this past week I did in fact "re-provision" my phone and had zero problems.

Not saying this works for all, but did for my family and I.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have both Verizon and ATT and Verizon is far better service. If my Verizon cell works then the MiFi almost always works as well.

Don't depend on the coverage maps for any carrier unless it says no coverage! They are largely marketing hype that is out of touch with reality - with reality being a cell phone doesn't work. I have an outside antenna on the roof (12' high) and Wilson amplifier that helps to extend my coverage which is then closer to the coverage map. But it wasn't cheap and the LTE coverage equipment is even more costly.

Also be careful with phone capability. ATT decided my iPhone was 4G because they found a marketing hole and made a software update - everyone knows that the equipment is different! It is NOT LTE. Verizon says they will have LTE coverage for their entire network by the end of the year - ie installed in every tower.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

utahhusker
Explorer
Explorer
We have Sprint and live in Utah. We travel extensively and visit family in many areas. Our Sprint has worked in 90% of the areas. It is not cost effective for any cell company to spend thousands to cover 5 residents in remote areas, interstates serve thousands a day so coverage makes sense. I am posting this in Kansas in a remote area using my Samsung S3. Other phones in area have little to no coverage. Remember cell signals are line of sight, can't see a tower with binoculars you probably wont have a signal.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Verizon has the most complete network. Sprint has a roaming deal with Verizon so if you have Sprint you have voice coverage everywhere Verizon users do.

If you read through a Sprint PRL ("Preferred Roaming List"), you'll find that the number of Verizon towers they have access to is really quite limited compared to the total available. Also note that most of their MVNO's, such as their own Virgin Mobile, do not have access to their roaming towers at all.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
VERIZON has been the best one for us getting way off the Interstate highways... even works in GOBER, TX...

Roy Ken

Go to Wally World, buy a Straight Talk Phone, make sure it's a Net10 Phone they use the verizon network. It's very inexpensive, Unlimited everything for less than $45 bucks a month. I have two of these phones and the plan we have is less than the one we had for a dumb phone (one that did nothing but talk)

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon but check the service map on their web page
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

Explorer II
Explorer II
There are areas in West Texas that if you don't have AT&T you're talking to yourself.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've found that no matter where I pull my TT, the phone's "off" button works just fine...

:C
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't already have Verizon, get yourself a Wallyworld Tracfone that works on the Verizon network.

7 years with one here. Back & forth across the country many times, mostly avoiding interstates, & the thing works great. Oh yes there are dead spots but they are few & usually in remote mountain areas.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I have been overpaying for Verizon for many years, and while they have the most coverage it is often not the best coverageโ€ฆ for me itโ€™s their slow lousy data and dropped voice calls, or no service at all, all too oftenโ€ฆ

Their coverage map is worthless fire starter materialโ€ฆ they say it is just a representation of what service they have, IMHO their coverage map is just a misrepresentation of the service they provide when printed it turns into bold face lyingโ€ฆ

It isnโ€™t just their data roaming that gets pushed to 1xRTT, I do at -108 dBm and according to their maps I should have 4G and if I do get 1xEDVO broadband it is at _114 dBmโ€ฆ both slower than dial upโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Verizon.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling with my youngest and his buddy, we have both AT&T and Verizon. Most of the time, coverage is the same. In some spots we have service on AT&T and he does not on Verizon. Other places are the exact opposite. In some very rare places, none of us had service. However, even in spots with no service, we have found that a hike up a hill or a short drive can get us to service if needed. I know that in any Texas state park I have not had service in, the rangers could tell me exactly where the closest point was. I like to be able to call my wife and tell her I have arrived safely, etc.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos