cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell phone signal

kellygirl6767
Explorer
Explorer
We are at a job in the White Mountains at 9,200 ft. elevation until the end of September. The cell phone signal is poor at best. Can text, no internet on my personal hotspot. We are looking into boosters. We each have an iPhone 5s and a 4s. Anyone out there have any suggestions for cell phone/internet reception in remote areas?

Thanks in advance!
On the Rhoda again!
25 REPLIES 25

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry my bad I did not see that you were at a job site
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Wilson Sleek with suction cup window mount and taller antenna.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
OP is on a job location of some sort.

I have used my boosters to assist with medical problems miles beyond normal cell range. I've used them to assist others with family emergencies, chase down car parts and arrange transportation. One time we found two well trained/fed hunting dogs. With my cell booster we were able to locate the owners while we were miles from cell phone range.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry for the comment I am about to make but, has anyone thought of just turning the cell phone off and going camping without it. What in the world is so important nowadays that we are in a tizzy over whether we will have cell phone reception or not. I guess it is just the times e live in I don't know how I made back before all the gadgets took over.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

kellygirl6767
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input!
On the Rhoda again!

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
How do you measure db gain? Iphone only has 5 dots.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Your time for buying Wilson products is running short. They changed their name to WeBoost. Still good products with a price increase. The Wilson Sleek can boost one device at a time. With Verizon I average 18db gain. Since you can text it sounds like your current signal is about 105db. Best case scenario the Sleek would get you near 87db. When discussing 3G, anything below 91db is great. I also have two multi device Wilson boosters. They work great in a vehicle. They do have their drawbacks in an RV. The specific unit I have has an indoor antenna with a range of 5ft. The closer the device, the better it works. 6" and under distance between devices I have seen 35db gain. The unit I have is good to four devices. They also sell other units that have an indoor antenna capable of lighting up an entire room.

Both units I've mentioned ship with 4" rubber antenna. The rubber antenna has very little gain. It also does very little to harm signal. Wilson sells bigger, better antennas. However, you will have to be very specific with your exact needs. The bigger antennas might hurt 1x, 3g or 4g signal. They may help Verizon 4g, but, hurt AT&T 3g. All antennas have a trade off.

Antenna placement is not supposed to matter too much. It does. I've found middle of my truck and Jeep hood provides the best signal. Not sure about your RV. The 4" rubber antenna can boost off a can of chili for its ground reference. Some metals are better than others. I carry an emergency sheet of roof flashing (small). The higher you can get the antenna is better. Outside the vehicle/RV is also preferred.

If you have any specific model questions Wilson (now WeBoost) has great customer service. As mentioned in previous comment. Some phones have stronger signal than others. I've found most Motorolas and new Samsung devices have great signal strength. There are exceptions. Not all cell towers are created equal. Some tower power outputs are turned down. Some towers provide great signal with very low speed. I've seen other towers with low signal output and very fast internet speed. Some towers do not respond well to VPN's.

50db - Perfect signal

87db - Still decent

92db - Expect 3g speed to decrease

96db - Losing data connection, calls/text ok

101db- Call quality severely diminished, text probably ok

105db - Reaching the upper limit of text

110db - Might receive a text, usually can't send one

120db - No signal.

Wilson Sleek

Wilson Mobile Pro 4g

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Wilson Sleek. We have had good success with ours.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW's Apple does not get a signal when my Android gets good reception. Lots of online retailers like Solid Signal offer a variety of amplifiers. I bought one three years ago and with its external antenna it boosts the signal well.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Wilson brand of amps, I have a Wilson Sleek and am amazed how well it works. I have used it inside buildings at work and out in the boonies. They have cradle based amps that will work for a single phone or hotspot, they are cheaper and more portable. They also have hotspots that will allow multiple devices to connect, they cost more but allow more flexibility with a permanent install. Depending on what type and if you want 3G to LTE you can find one from about $100 to $500. The situation you describe sounds ideal for an amp, having a signal but one that is not strong enough to be practical.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com