cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell phone signal

kellygirl6767
Explorer
Explorer
We are at a job in the White Mountains at 9,200 ft. elevation until the end of September. The cell phone signal is poor at best. Can text, no internet on my personal hotspot. We are looking into boosters. We each have an iPhone 5s and a 4s. Anyone out there have any suggestions for cell phone/internet reception in remote areas?

Thanks in advance!
On the Rhoda again!
25 REPLIES 25

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimx200 wrote:
As one who was in the cellular industry for awhile, the iphones are generally rated at the bottom for signal strength. The phones that consistently rank the best are Motorola. They came from radio industry roots and know how important antennae are for grabbing and holding cell phone signals. If you can't improve your signal strength with the iphone, try a Motorola X or the Droid series phones as they have dual radio antennae and are rated at the top. Good luck.

Suggesting something other than an iphone? Isn't that blasphemy?

Just kidding...
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
As one who was in the cellular industry for awhile, the iphones are generally rated at the bottom for signal strength. The phones that consistently rank the best are Motorola. They came from radio industry roots and know how important antennae are for grabbing and holding cell phone signals. If you can't improve your signal strength with the iphone, try a Motorola X or the Droid series phones as they have dual radio antennae and are rated at the top. Good luck.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Which White Mountains? I'm assuming AZ or CA as they are the only White Mountains with elevations that high. In most of the AZ White Mtns I've been to I've been able to put my phone on roam and pick up a decent signal from some provider for calls. Haven't had much luck with data.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Orphamedora
Explorer
Explorer
So Dog Trainer, do you expect them to go the entire summer without their phones? A few days maybe. Read the comment.
'83 Winnebago Brave 23 ft.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I have the WeBoost cradle, and I've never had any luck with it. In fact, sometimes it actually degrades the signal.

I've spend hundreds over the years on antennas and boosters and not had much success with any of it.

Using the booster in a good signal environment could degrade signal.

Never use the signal bars to judge actual and boosted signal. Use the actual numerical signal level. The bars on the main screen are easily fooled. Apple at one time was purposely lying.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Nice rant, but I'd like to see you guys be without a phone for 6 months.

Sometimes it is difficult for those posting to understand that not everyone camps the same way they do. Going without a phone or internet access for a one or two week camping trip is one thing but for those of us who are traveling months at a time it would be very problematic to be without a cell phone or internet access for that entire time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice rant, but I'd like to see you guys be without a phone for 6 months.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
I am sorry for the comment I am about to make but, has anyone thought of just turning the cell phone off and going camping without it. What in the world is so important nowadays that we are in a tizzy over whether we will have cell phone reception or not. I guess it is just the times e live in I don't know how I made back before all the gadgets took over.

Haven't you noticed? Everyone has one of the damn things hanging out of their ear while driving, walking across the street in the doctors office, at the grocery store in church, and when doing anything else. There is no recognition of how really rude their behavior is. It's all about them and their new found importance and right to look and act dumb. And then there are those that make excuses for them.
jwmII

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the WeBoost cradle, and I've never had any luck with it. In fact, sometimes it actually degrades the signal.

I've spend hundreds over the years on antennas and boosters and not had much success with any of it.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
I am sorry for the comment I am about to make but, has anyone thought of just turning the cell phone off and going camping without it.

I don't disagree with your comment.

However, did you read the original post?

Because the poster was very clear that they are not 'camping' for a while. They are spending five or six months at a job site in the mountains with almost no reliable cell service.

Big difference between turning off the cell phones for a weekend or week than turning off the cell phones for six months.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Trainer wrote:
I am sorry for the comment I am about to make but, has anyone thought of just turning the cell phone off and going camping without it.
That's ok. Someone always has to say it.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
I am sorry for the comment I am about to make but, has anyone thought of just turning the cell phone off and going camping without it. What in the world is so important nowadays that we are in a tizzy over whether we will have cell phone reception or not. I guess it is just the times e live in I don't know how I made back before all the gadgets took over.

I don't mean to get in your face about this comment because I know what you are saying and agree to some point. But, I can give you a first-hand reason for the phone. Last summer, DW and I started out on our much planned trip in the RV. Four hours in to the trip, DW had a first ever seizure. I was able to pull off the interstate and call 911 and the response was immediate. Given the underlying reason for the seizure, which I won't go in to, it could have been fatal if we didn't have the phone and the response. There are times when technology is essential.

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:

Darn that useless technology and the advancement of mankind...
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Wilson Sleek, lay the hotspot in the cradle and the cell next to it both will work at the same time. The cell will have to be on speaker.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin