cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Centermatics or Balance Beads ???

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
New tires arriving this week from Simple Tire. My aluminum wheels don't have a lip for weights and I don't trust the stick on weights to stay put. Money not to be considered any suggestions and reasons for why.

New tires are GY KMAX T 245/70/R17.5 LR "J" and 18 ply @75# each with a carrying capacity of 6k @ 125psi $2,206.72 out the door.

Centermatics $219 set of 4.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
23 REPLIES 23

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Why the new wheels?? The ones you have look great! Maybe a weight carrying issue?

The stick ons should work great! I'm curious though, as to questionable use on steel wheels, did the manager give a reason, that made sense to you?

Anyway...if you lose those stick on wts, you can always bill the guy recommending them, for the rebalance.

Jerry

I had a tire separate and do some surface damage to two wheels. I am also getting all new Continental "J" 18 ply tires so I figured for what I am getting for the two wheels it will make selling my one year old "H" tires with wheels much easier.

I will ask him his thoughts on the steel wheels when I get the tires.

Good price for Alcoa's $290 no tx or shipping.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why the new wheels?? The ones you have look great! Maybe a weight carrying issue?

The stick ons should work great! I'm curious though, as to questionable use on steel wheels, did the manager give a reason, that made sense to you?

Anyway...if you lose those stick on wts, you can always bill the guy recommending them, for the rebalance.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have new Alcoa's coming so I will have Americas tire use stick on weights. I asked the store manager about the stick on's and he said on aluminum good to go and steel not so much.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
hypoxia wrote:
Durb wrote:
My trailer bearings are sensitive to wheel offset which the Centramatics increase so I wouldn't use them.

You must have a different set of Centramatics than I have seen. Mine are thin sheet metal, 1/16" perhaps. I don't think your wheel bearings will notice. :h

I am not thinking the minimal thickness would be an issue.

That was what I thought also - until I tried the CMs. I have a two wheel drive 2005, 1-T Dodge Ram.

I bought the CMs, but I was not comfortable with the amount of "thread/s" remaining -"showing"- on the (front wheel) studs when the CMs were mounted. (behind factory Aluminum wheels).

Returned them. Nice lady in TX with a great Southern Drawl, said she had heard from others with similar problem.

No such problem with the Balance Masters - which are still on my (the same) truck....my receipt indicates I installed them Feb. of 2012. Maybe the CM metal is thinner now?

Tires have never shown any abnormal wear patterns.

BTW - thanks for the reminder! Had meant to put a pair on the rear wheels also....:W

~

This is very interesting; do you have your wheels/tires balanced? Or is it necessary with the Balance Masters?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With yours being hub centric, and disc brakes, a good balance should be easy for a quality shop. IMO...give the stick on wts a try. Suggest a prep cleaning, before sticking wts (they should know that anyway). Best to watch, but that's not always possible.

You can mark the weights, when returning, with a permanent felt tip pen, and check after several tows, that they are still there, for peace of mind.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChuckSteed wrote:
Since standard RV wheels are LUG CENTERED and not hub centered I would have to question these... Ive been towing trailers and fifth wheels for over 45 years and have never balanced a tire on the RV

If you have the bucks then go for it... Ceramic beads would be much better than these .. and I have been using those on my motorcycle tires for decades...

The heavier RV's have Hub Centric with 5/8" studs as shown on my DRV.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Since standard RV wheels are LUG CENTERED and not hub centered I would have to question these... Ive been towing trailers and fifth wheels for over 45 years and have never balanced a tire on the RV

If you have the bucks then go for it... Ceramic beads would be much better than these .. and I have been using those on my motorcycle tires for decades...

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
hypoxia wrote:
Durb wrote:
My trailer bearings are sensitive to wheel offset which the Centramatics increase so I wouldn't use them.

You must have a different set of Centramatics than I have seen. Mine are thin sheet metal, 1/16" perhaps. I don't think your wheel bearings will notice. :h

That was what I thought also - until I tried the CMs. I have a two wheel drive 2005, 1-T Dodge Ram.

I bought the CMs, but I was not comfortable with the amount of "thread/s" remaining -"showing"- on the (front wheel) studs when the CMs were mounted. (behind factory Aluminum wheels).

Returned them. Nice lady in TX with a great Southern Drawl, said she had heard from others with similar problem.

No such problem with the Balance Masters - which are still on my (the same) truck....my receipt indicates I installed them Feb. of 2012. Maybe the CM metal is thinner now?

Tires have never shown any abnormal wear patterns.

BTW - thanks for the reminder! Had meant to put a pair on the rear wheels also....:W

~

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
I've been using stick on weights for 20+ years, probably a total of over 500K miles on many vehicles. I've never had a stick on weight come off. It's the only weight I will let a shop put on a wheel.

Trust issues, lol. Probably the only guy requesting hammer on weights on his nice wheels.

I've actually had hammer on weights come off, rare but it did happen twice on different vehicles, different shops putting the weights on. But never have had a tape on weight come off.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
I have Centramatics on all four corners of my truck. The difference of smoothness in the ride is noticeable and worth it to me. I never considered putting them on the trailer. I would think your air pin box is dissipating enough trailer energy that you wouldn't notice trailer tires' balance improvements in the cab of your truck. My trailer bearings are sensitive to wheel offset which the Centramatics increase so I wouldn't use them. Might try the beads for thirty bucks though.

I feel zero vibration from the RV without weights. I was thinking these tires being so heavy it's possible they could cause bearing damage from being unbalanced.

I do like the idea of the weights being centered on the inside of the wheel. Biggest concern is if they spend the time to make sure the surface is prepped properly.

Maybe I should just spend the money on Centermatics for the truck when it's time to replace the tires.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
The balance beads work in my motorcycle. Just make sure you follow the instructions for how much to put in the size tires you have.
Also, some installers don't like spilling little ceramic beads on the floor of the garage so they just throw the whole bag in. Thinking the bag will break. And it will eventually. But until it does your tire will be very out of balance. Make sure the bags are opened and emptied into the tire or installed through the valve stem.

I can see it would be a mess for the shop when it came time to replace the tires.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hypoxia wrote:
Durb wrote:

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
ktmrfs wrote:
I've been using stick on weights for 20+ years, probably a total of over 500K miles on many vehicles. I've never had a stick on weight come off. It's the only weight I will let a shop put on a wheel.

Trust issues, lol. Probably the only guy requesting hammer on weights on his nice wheels.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
The balance beads work in my motorcycle. Just make sure you follow the instructions for how much to put in the size tires you have.
Also, some installers don't like spilling little ceramic beads on the floor of the garage so they just throw the whole bag in. Thinking the bag will break. And it will eventually. But until it does your tire will be very out of balance. Make sure the bags are opened and emptied into the tire or installed through the valve stem.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500