cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap replacement for awning catch springs?

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just lost one of the springs pictured in the link below. I really don't want to spend $20 (w/ shipping) to replace just one tiny spring. Anyone have any thoughts on a cheap replacement?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/a-e-awning-slider-catch-with-springs-set-of-2/15502
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
19 REPLIES 19

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
shadows4 wrote:
Any RV store that handles A&E awnings should have that kit. I have replaced mine before as those plastic pieces get brittle with age and break. Doesn't have to come from CW.
Or like stated above, any hardware store should have a collection of springs. I would think they would have something close enough to work. Good luck, John
Funny how the older MH's were made from metal. Mine is made from metal with a leaf spring made of SS attached, it is 20 years old and still works. Don't know if this design is available for replacement any more.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Louseman wrote:
Could you use the tapered spring from a battery holder or old flashlight?

Maybe? I don't have any old devices though, everything I have is AA or AAA-powered. Still, if I can find one for a dollar...
God bless!

Louseman
Explorer
Explorer
Could you use the tapered spring from a battery holder or old flashlight?

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any RV store that handles A&E awnings should have that kit. I have replaced mine before as those plastic pieces get brittle with age and break. Doesn't have to come from CW.
Or like stated above, any hardware store should have a collection of springs. I would think they would have something close enough to work. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

MrWizard
That looks like a tapered spring
Which means it can compress completely flat
Its the same type as the those that come with aux 12v transmission cooling fans, more mounting them, check the auto parts store, may have to nip off the end
I'm sure the awning spring is very weak, get some piano wire and wind your own, lots of tips and tutorials on YouTube
The silicone idea is worth a try
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
SlowBro wrote:
RV daytrader wrote:
Ace hardware has all kinds of springs...would be surprised if they did not have one that will work.

Someone else said hardware stores have them, I guess I've just never looked because I've not seen any but will look next time. Thanks.

Yes at the hardware stores try looking in the specialty drawers that they usually have in the nuts and bolts aisle.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen to me last spring.Had a spring to long cut it off the right length put it in works great.You will need to stretch most springs to get the right tension. Easy fix and cheep.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV daytrader wrote:
Ace hardware has all kinds of springs...would be surprised if they did not have one that will work.

Someone else said hardware stores have them, I guess I've just never looked because I've not seen any but will look next time. Thanks.
God bless!

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gjac wrote:
I think what I would do is put a bead of silicone the ht that you need and let it cure and use it as a spring. My awning catch is metal with a spring steel leaf.

Now there's a good idea. Kinda like a bumper.
God bless!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double Post.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think what I would do is put a bead of silicone the ht that you need and let it cure and use it as a spring. My awning catch is metal with a spring steel leaf.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
SlowBro wrote:
Thing is I'm not tall enough to lock it in place, the catch helps me

You lock the brace arms in while the awning is down low. Easy to reach before extending the awning up.

I have had one arm with a broken spring for over a year now with no problem. And even have a spare spring that I haven't bothered to put in yet.

Or for less then $10 get a step stool.
Step Stool
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those springs are bigger I THINK. No I don't want to spend a dollar to save a dime, but twenty dollars for a spring seems outrageous to me, and I figured someone here would have experience with a better replacement.

Good idea on just hitting up the parts stores, I'll make some calls.
God bless!