cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Christmas in Angel Fire New Mexico...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II

We drove up to our friends home in Angel Fire {3,900 square feet on 3 acres at 9,000'} on Monday after an overnight in Albuquerque. They have about a foot of snow on the ground and it is now snowing heavily, looks like a foot or more will fall today and tomorrow with temps headed to single digits.

We left the Class C back in Tucson and drove my 1995 LTD. I have a set of wire cable chains and 150# of sandbags in the trunk. Getting out tomorrow may or may not happen but as you can see we are not exactly roughing it.

We drove up to Red River this morning for our usual awesome Brisket breakfast burrito at Shotgun Willies and followed that with a round of brewskis at the new Red River Brewery.

I'll take some more pics later this afternoon when it has had a chance to really accumulate. We came seeking a white Christmas and we got our wish. Had to suffer through Beef Wellington last night and I am doing a Rack of Lamb for dinner today. The fire is roaring and there might even be an adult libation or two in our future. Life is Good!

:B
19 REPLIES 19

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"D.C. - I wonder how it would have been parked out in the driveway dry-staying there in your rig while visiting your friends ... as opposed to hookup-staying inside that marvelous looking mountain home?"

I briefly considered taking the rig up to Angel Fire. With the 35K BTU furnace and 30 amps right at our site, we might have been warm enough but would have burned a lot of propane. I doubt the DC tank heaters could deal with the extreme low temps though, it was 14 degrees below zero at 0900 in the morning we left and had several nights in the single digit range.

As you can see from this pic our RV site has been repurposed to snow storage as the far end is where the plow guy has to dump it. With 200'+ of driveway that is a lot of snow. Traction wise I think the Class C, with all of the weight found on the duallies would have been fine especially with the cable chains I used on the Crown Vic.

That is our site just to the left and beyond Sherry's chevy, the 30 amp pedestal is on the far side of the site between the two trees:

In the end, we toughed it out in our huge, gorgeous guest suite and are already making plans to return no later than May and that trip will be with the coach, bike and trailer.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:

We drove up to our friends home in Angel Fire {3,900 square feet on 3 acres at 9,000'} on Monday after an overnight in Albuquerque. They have about a foot of snow on the ground and it is now snowing heavily, looks like a foot or more will fall today and tomorrow with temps headed to single digits.

We left the Class C back in Tucson and drove my 1995 LTD. I have a set of wire cable chains and 150# of sandbags in the trunk. Getting out tomorrow may or may not happen but as you can see we are not exactly roughing it.

We drove up to Red River this morning for our usual awesome Brisket breakfast burrito at Shotgun Willies and followed that with a round of brewskis at the new Red River Brewery.

I'll take some more pics later this afternoon when it has had a chance to really accumulate. We came seeking a white Christmas and we got our wish. Had to suffer through Beef Wellington last night and I am doing a Rack of Lamb for dinner today. The fire is roaring and there might even be an adult libation or two in our future. Life is Good!

D.C. - I wonder how it would have been parked out in the driveway dry-staying there in your rig while visiting your friends ... as opposed to hookup-staying inside that marvelous looking mountain home? ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a week in Tucson one April. We drove to the top of Mt. Lemmmon. A scenic ride. The climate and plant zone changes are phenomenal. But at the top, they were closed and DRY. I hope folks get to ski and enjoy it until June.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came home on Sunday after a great week with more snow and serious cold than we had ever seen. Got up this morning {Happy New Year} and looks like the snow fairly followed us home to Tucson. Glad I winterized the coach a couple of weeks ago as we have been seeing temps down around 26 degrees for most of the night {"not just an hour predawn}:

It is melting fast but between the inch of snow and half an inch of rain we got last night here is what Mt Lemon looks like this morning from our front yard:

The top 3,000' is lost in the clouds but should look spectacular when they clear.

:C

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coffee and the morning forecast... We got another 4-6" of powder last night, the temp is 1 degree and they are calling for 9 more hours of "Precipitation" aka snow. Temps will be single digit all day and driving is NOT advised.

Tomorrow is better... Warming up to 20 with sunny skies an no more snow for a day or two. Listed as a "good" day for driving/travel it will be my best window for a while.

Methinks we will enjoy another day here with our friends and try to leave late tomorrow morning. He had his 200'+ driveway plowed late yesterday and with cable chains and 150# of sandbags in the trunk I did manage to get my LTD up the driveway and the hill behind his house with only a little slipping. The driveway is of course covered once again but his 4X4 truck can handle the powder just fine.

The two miles of ice/dirt road out to the highway was pretty spooky but the big car came through it just fine {better than I did}. :S

Left the car in a paved public lot in Angel Fire and will go check on it later today. Getting quite an education as to what much of America deals with all winter... I salute you all! {but can't wait to get back down to Tucson}.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm familiar with the area,....in the summer.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Angel Fire is a very special place! Enjoy.

Was there in the summer and I, and my family, really enjoyed being there and plan to go back. Just need to buy a downhill MTB before heading back ๐Ÿ™‚
I love me some land yachting

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't mind getting stranded there. My dad had a LTD like that. It was a Nice car.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
buc1980 wrote:
Do you take a look at the RV Resort anybody there?

Yes, we drove right by it on the way in. There were a few rigs, maybe a dozen but that was on Monday. Don't know if that has changed since then. We will go right by it on our way out but that might be a while. Highway 64 from Taos to Angel Fire is not a road I would drive with any RV in serious winter conditions like we are currently experiencing as it is pretty tight when the road conditions are good.

:C

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Do you take a look at the RV Resort anybody there?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The forecast calls for more snow for the next couple of days {and heavy tonight} so we are hoping to get over the pass and down to Taos this afternoon. We won't be going anywhere until the driveway gets plowed, hopefully by noon.

After breakfast we will be putting the chains on and loading the car so that if we get a window down the snowy road we will go. All in all quite the adventure in a winter wonderland.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Used to drive an older (70somethign) LTD.. Fairly good in snow i you have good tires.. I always bought "All Season" Tires with the most aggressive tread pattern I could find...... I have a few stories about folks who did not do that.

Only once did I ever not make it home after work (In Detroit)... The drive shaft (well u-joint) broke and stranded me 1 block from the house.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wouldn't mind being stuck there for a few days!