cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B Motorhome Vibration While Driving

HarryB1
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the process of purchasing a 2004 Pleasure-Way Excel-TS Ford (class B+) with 73,000 miles on it through a consignment dealer. Because of insurance issues we did not take it for a test drive but did accompany the salesman as he drove it for a short distance.

The motorhome seemed to ride surprisingly rough. I was sitting in the back sofa so maybe it was worse, but my wife who was sitting in the front also felt the vibration. We've never had a motorhome, so have nothing with which to compare this experience.

The vibration seemed to appear suddenly as the speed increased and disappear instantly below a certain speed. I'm guessing that point to be about 25 mph.

The salesman claimed it was because the heavy duty tires (Michelin LT245/75R16) take some time to warm up after which the vibration would smooth out. The tires are two years old and show little tread wear although I did notice what appears to be some signs of dry rot on one tire which concerns me.

The motorhome will be going to a Ford dealer for a comprehensive inspection (at my expense), so if there is a problem with the drive train hopefully it will be uncovered during that inspection. The seller is responsible for paying for any repairs.

Is it true, as the salesman claims, that these types of heavy duty tires take some time to warm up after which the ride will smooth out? FWIW, we're in Florida and it was not cold that day.

Thank you,
Harry
16 REPLIES 16

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Get the alignment specs from PW, don't use the Ford specs.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We have a TST TPMS on our Phaeton and toad, I notice no thumping in the tires on either vehicle. I just weighed a sensor on a postal scale and got a weight of .62 ounce. We also have PressurePros on the B+, no noise there either. I did not have the tires re-balanced after any install. Toad has Goodyear Wranglers, Phaeton has Michelin XZE2s and the B+ has Mastercrafts by Cooper Tire. Too many exceptions to your requests by the salesman/dealer and owner/seller of the RV for me ever to think about giving them any money. You might be in love with the RV, but if it were me, I'd be gone.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

ChiMom
Explorer
Explorer
There are many PW owners on the Class B forum if you want to view that forum. I have a 2007 and absolutely love the quality of workmanship for the motor coach component. Many new owners have complained about the Ford E350 wandering or "loose" steering, so I suggest you drive it once before buying, even around an empty parking lot. If going out on the highway with the salesman, make sure that the rear tires are inflated to 80 lbs, the front tires to 55 or 60 and the airbags to 60 lbs. The pre-2007 PW Excels need to have rear wheel spacers retrofitted also for better drivability. Sitting on the rear couch while being driven will be quite bouncy given the amount of rear axle overhang. You should also know that Pleasure Way is a company with excellent customer relations. They will help you with info. Good luck!
Barbara, Florence, Rascal (bad chihuahua), and Annabelle (good girl turning bad)
Rainbow Bridge: Magoo (baddest chihuahua)
2007 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD: Miss Daisy

HarryB1
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the Ford dealer this morning where I learned the mechanic was going to take the MH for a test drive, but couldn't find a dealer plate to put on it! But, he did put it on the lift and he and I were able to talk about what he was inspecting.

He said that what I thought might be dry rot is a common complaint with Michelin tires, but despite repeated efforts to try to warranty tires with these types of small cracks in the sidewall, Michelin claims it's only cosmetic and not an indicator of a safety issue.

He checked the front end and there was no evidence of any unusual wear. However, the brake pads are near the end of their lives and he also found that both airbags were deflated (I didn't know it had airbags!), so after inflating them to 30 psi (he didn't know the specs so didn't want to inflate them any further) he found one of them leaking at the inflation fitting.

We talked about the vibration issue and he speculated two possibilities (having ruled out the suspension):

1) The motorhome has been sitting for about two years on a concrete pad under a carport and the tires may have flat spotted. If that is the case, he said it's possible the flat spots will work their way out after some hundreds of miles of driving, but maybe not.

2) The sensors for the Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System may have affected the balance of the tires (the tires were not rebalanced when the sensors were installed), so they will balance the tires.

The mechanic knew about the Michelin recall and apparently these tires are not part of that recall.

I discussed what I learned with the salesman and he agreed to have the brake pads replaced and the rotors turned if the mechanic at the shop where the work is going to be done feels they need to be turned. I've also requested to have the wheel bearings regreased (if the rotors don't need to be turned), the fuel filter replaced, and an oil change done. The shop will also repair the leak in the airbag line or replace the parts as necessary.

The salesman drove the MH from the Ford dealer to the shop that is going to do the repairs and claims the vibration is far less than the other dayโ€”maybe the wheels were unbalanced.

One last item: unfortunately, we will not be taking the MH for a test drive because I learned that member "Johnworth914" is almost certainly correct. The MH does not have any insurance on it because the owner let the insurance lapse, and even if it did, the insurance company would not cover it while it is on a consignment lot. Most likely the owner of the consignment shop does not have any coverage either, so that vehicle is uninsured at this point in time, whether it's on the lot or on the road. Had I known about this earlier I might not have even looked at the MH in the first place. I will not be driving a vehicle that is not insured.

What I am going to do is ask the saleman to drive it at highway speeds with us in it because the shop where the MH is going to be repaired is on an open highway. I realize this is not ideal, but it's a risk I'm reluctantly willing to take because everything else seems to be coming together.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Harry, FWIW, Michelin has a recall on certain dates & sizes of Load Range E LTX's. I _think_ the 'two years old' may put these in that window. Search (upper left) in the class C forum for 'Michelin recall.'

Jim, "Vote early, and vote often!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
HarryB1 wrote:

I wish to thank those of you who strongly recommended a lengthy test ride at highway speeds and hope it can be done legally. I haven't purchased a used vehicle in many decades and am a little rusty on this "buyer beware" stuff.

Regardless of what the Ford mechanic says, do not buy it until you test drive at highway speeds.

It will be you who will be driving it after the sale, and not the mechanic or sales person. You absolutely need to drive it before you buy.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

staggerlee
Explorer
Explorer
The motorhome will be going to a Ford dealer for a comprehensive inspection (at my expense), so if there is a problem with the drive train hopefully it will be uncovered during that inspection. The seller is responsible for paying for any repairs.

An inspection of this type with a mechcanic actually driving it might cost a few bucks, but nothing like what it could cost after the purchase.
I would run, and fast.
I would suspect the drive train, not tires.
Lee Hubbard๐Ÿ™‚

HarryB1
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with not being able to drive the motorhome may not be a reflection of the salesman's integrity, and I did not mean to cast him in a negative light. This is a small consignment shop in a small town that has been around for ages, and the owner/salesman is a local boy who is known in the community. Of course he still could be a crook..

What he actually said is that he didn't think it was a good idea for us to drive it because he was concerned we wouldn't be covered if something went wrong because the owner had let the insurance lapse.

Although I believe my insurance will cover me if I am driving a vehicle with the owner's permission, I didn't know if that applies in a consignment situation. I am awaiting a call from my insurance agent to clarify that.

The motorhome is presently at the Ford dealer and I plan to be there tomorrow morning for the inspection. The mechanic will be taking it for a road test with me, and the salesman had already put on the ticket my concern about the vibration and the dry rot on the tires.

I too have my doubts about the cold tire theory, and the salesman suggested another possibility: the owner installed a TireMinder Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System and he wondered if the weight of the sensors might be a factor. It doesn't seem logical to me, but I've seen stranger things.

I'm very interested to hear the mechanic's opinion because it would, I assume, be in his interest to find something wrong that they can fix.

I wish to thank those of you who strongly recommended a lengthy test ride at highway speeds and hope it can be done legally. I haven't purchased a used vehicle in many decades and am a little rusty on this "buyer beware" stuff.

Thank you for the quick and thoughtful responses. Your help is most appreciated.
Harry

Johnworth914
Explorer
Explorer
Although I would not buy without being able to drive, it is true that most MH insurance will NOT cover a vehicle being consigned. In fact, they specifically exclude it.

Of course, that would also be the case with the salesperson driving it too, so...

BTW. My 2003 Pleasureway on the Ford E-350 handles much better after I put Bilsteins on it.

Now has 50k miles, bought it 2 years ago with 14k
Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!๐Ÿ˜„

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd walk away right when the shyster told me I can't drive the vehicle. when we bought our RT we were told "keep it out as long as you want so you can feel comfortable in it." Got it up to 70 mph on the test - it felt fine and we have been driving the same rig now for 10 years.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Dont buy it, Its ridden hard with 70,000+ miles on it and those front end vibrations mean serious problems.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
HarryB1 wrote:

The vibration seemed to appear suddenly as the speed increased and disappear instantly below a certain speed. I'm guessing that point to be about 25 mph.

First, never buy a motorhome until you, not the salesperson, has driven it on the highway and have brought the speed up to 65mph.

If the salesman won't let you drive it, don't buy it. This is especially true with a wide body Class B. The widebody's are known for handling issues.

Second, I recently had a Class B+ on the Ford e350 and it had a similar vibration. In fact, it vibrated so much I thought it was going to shake the side windows lose.

After spending money on new tires, shocks, and alignment, only to have the vibration continue, it was determined that one of the wheels was bent or out of round.

Changing this wheel out with the spare resolved most of the vibration, but not all of it.

The vibration you experience might be from something else - maybe related to the widebody.

In addition to vibration, you'll want to drive the coach yourself so you can experience Ford's bump steer and wander problem (caused by improper alignment), and to look for other handling issues.

But if it were me and if the salesman won't let you drive it, walk away from the deal.

There are plenty of other Class B's on the market, most from sellers who will let you drive them.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Did the salesman say the tires are two years old, and they have cracks in them? That just doesn't sound right. Check the date codes on all the tires.
The vibration is most likely from the tires but I would have it checked out before buying. As others said, I would drive it on the express way for many miles or tell them to get lost.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I would want to test drive a vehicle I was interested in purchasing myself. There is a lot about the way a vehicle "feels" through the steering column, accelerator, etc. I don't always know what it is, but if I feel something, there is definitely a cause.

That said, I would also not be paying for a comprehensive inspection without having driven it myself. And I would not always rely on a dealer inspection. They probably won't drive it either. I would at least want to tell them what I was feeling, etc., so they could find a cause.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/