cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning Fogged Headlights

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
I have been applying ZEP floor Wax to my 2000 REXHALL Rose Air , and decided to try it on my headlights as well !

A M A Z I N G L Y ...................... It did a FANTASTIC JOB !
One light was Sorta foggy ... the Drivers was YELLOW ....
It turned them BOTH into what looks like BRAND NEW !
I used it on my CRV & Hyundai Tuscon as well... and it had the SAME incredible results.

I applied more than one coat , with no preparation cleansing.

I have used ZEP on my other Motorhomes & Boats ,for many years ... and it does a FANTASTIC job... even after years of being there.

Hope this helps someone else.

Richard / S. Carolina
2000 Rose Air
2004 CRV
22 REPLIES 22

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I think the problem is the plastic. I have a 79 corvette, all original, glass covers and they are as clear as can be. My daily driver has that plastic garbage and I get rid of it as soon as the covers start to yellow.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
I am too old to do the "wax" thing anymore and believe that Zep looks better and last longer.

An alternative: Parfe Liquid Wax I've used it on a few painted metal surfaces and it is surprisingly durable. Application is by spray, no wiping or buffing needed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
Zep floor WAX?
Couldn't find it at Lowes, Home Depot or internet. Do you mean floor POLISH?

When I think of wax I don't think of anything liquid, I think of something in a can that's pretty much a solid.

Zep is an acrylic liquid floor product not a wax. I believe the one used on RV's is "wet look". Acrylic polish has been used in the marine industry for years to restore faded fiberglass - Zep is pretty much the same as the expensive stuff but maybe lacks some of the UV inhibitors. I have used for about 6 years now and so long as you touch up every few years it works pretty good. I am too old to do the "wax" thing anymore and believe that Zep looks better and last longer.
Kevin

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy ... I bought a new 1-gallon at LOWES 2 weeks ago.
Last I knew , HD carried the SAME ITEM by the name of RED DEVIL ... or RED SOMETHING , buy the mfgr. was the same company in Texas.

THAT may have changed.

My recent purchase was THE WET LOOK , which looks GREAT on fiberglass, but cannot say that it was any different than the normal version , for $8 less per gallon.( $24 vs. $16 )

Good luck with it.

Richard / S. Carolina
2000 REXHALL Rose Air
2004 CRV

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
Zep floor WAX?

When I think of wax I don't think of anything liquid, I think of something in a can that's pretty much a solid.

Reading the list of ingredients online, none of which I can pronounce, makes me wonder if Zep does the same thing bug spray does, softens the plastic as it very-temporarily 'restores' the clarity.

I got it at HD, my Lowes didn't have it.

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac...

You are correct. I referred to it as WAX but as I read the bottles , the terms " POLISH " or wet Look " FINISH " are the descriptors.

as for contents ... and melting ..... that is certainly a valid concern , but I believe MOSTLY attributed to SPRAY CAN propellants.

Since my own usage has only been spanning a month , or so , I dare not certify any MIRACLES .................. Yet !

I can only say that SO FAR .... it far far far exceeds any reviews or personal attempts , I have experienced in the past.

ALSO ... as a Water-Based formula ... the likelihood of harmful contents ( i.e. Melting ) ...are greatly diminished.

Good Question ....

Richard
2000 REXHALL Rose Air
2004 CRV

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Zep floor WAX?

Reading the list of ingredients online, none of which I can pronounce, makes me wonder if Zep does the same thing bug spray does, softens the plastic as it very-temporarily 'restores' the clarity.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine to sams club for I think 30 bucks and they guarantee it for like 5yrs and they look like new.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
A temporary solution, maybe.
How hard can it be to do it once or twice a year.
LOL...if it was only once or twice a year, it wouldn't be an issue.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
coolmom42 wrote:
Meguaire's heavy duty headlight restoration kit

There are cheaper ones that don't work as well. This includes a UV protectant to help prevent re-oxidation. I've used these on 5-6 vehicles, they work great.

I've seen better prices from other vendors... but this is the best kit. Contains enough product for 3-4 vehicles.

This is basically rubbing compound. It's the longest lasting solution short of replacing the light assemblies.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clear coat after polishing will extend the time to the next polishing.
Puma 30RKSS

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Meguaire's heavy duty headlight restoration kit

There are cheaper ones that don't work as well. This includes a UV protectant to help prevent re-oxidation. I've used these on 5-6 vehicles, they work great.

I've seen better prices from other vendors... but this is the best kit. Contains enough product for 3-4 vehicles.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip. My neighbor has fogged lenses and is trying to sell his car - I've got plenty of Zep and there doesn't seem to be much downside.
Kevin

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
FIZZ .... I agree !
PLUS ...............ZEP does such a FANTASTIC job on my fiberglass , it is easy to have faith that it will last on the headlight lens.

Richard ? S. Carolina