cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Common courtesy

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the mountains for a few days. People have been passing through our site like they paid for it. The have been walking right across our patio where we put our table. We decided to stand there a while to see what they would do. Two grown men and and a grown boy walked right by us without speaking. I finally asked if they knew better and he said yes but. Can't fix stupid.
45 REPLIES 45

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
acker1 wrote:
I keep a couple of full dog poop bags outside the rig. When someone passes thru I hole them towards them and ask them if they wouldn't mind dropping them off at the dumpster.

DICK

Thats not polite...at all.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a couple of full dog poop bags outside the rig. When someone passes thru I hole them towards them and ask them if they wouldn't mind dropping them off at the dumpster.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav....I disagree. It is my understanding I am responsible for any accidents which happen on the campsite I rented. As a full-timer rver, I have liability insurance for just the kind of accidents which can happen when people cut through the space I occupy.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigred1cav wrote:
Are there signs saying private property mine I own it? You don't own it. You are a tenant in common and depending upon what the contract you signed to short term rent the space you most likely have no rights of unauthorized walking.

It's not about property ownership, it's about considerate behavior. People have a "personal space" range. In a campground, that space consists of the campsite. Walking through someone's personal space is rude.

It's one thing to walk between two sites to get somewhere, but to walk right through someone's camp is not acceptable in any sense.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crowe wrote:
That's the exact type of attitude - and person - that we try to get away from when we go camping.

And those who will overreact such as spraying someone with a hose is one of the reasons why we no longer camp. You can't justify boorish behavior by matching someone else's.

Get wet and run for a lawyer... and we wonder where we went wrong as a society.

You need to back up a bit and look in a mirror. Spraying someone because they walked through a site is what's wrong with society. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, all justified because we "done been wronged". What ever happened to turning the other cheek? It's not a life or death situation. Is it annoying? You bet. Is your world going to end? Hardly. Matching the behavior only brings society down further. Would it be comical if the hose "accidentally slipped"? Probably but that's what escalates a minor situation into one with potentially severe consequences.

I agree with you. While it's enjoyable to talk about getting even, it rarely works out well in reality. I've seen many people get themselves in major confrontations because of "they disrespected me". In the end, they never got satisfaction because they ended up with more problems due to their actions.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Are there signs saying private property mine I own it? You don't own it. You are a tenant in common and depending upon what the contract you signed to short term rent the space you most likely have no rights of unauthorized walking.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Usually these kinds of posts result in the OP being chastised for complaining, but I doubt there's a single person on this board who would disparage you for complaining about that!

I think the OP is being completely unreasonable! He should not only permit the crossings, he should serve complimentary cold beverages and shoe shines while...

Nah...You're right, I don't think any of us would be pleased with that situation ๐Ÿ˜‰ :C LOL

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
That's the exact type of attitude - and person - that we try to get away from when we go camping.

And those who will overreact such as spraying someone with a hose is one of the reasons why we no longer camp. You can't justify boorish behavior by matching someone else's.

Get wet and run for a lawyer... and we wonder where we went wrong as a society.

You need to back up a bit and look in a mirror. Spraying someone because they walked through a site is what's wrong with society. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, all justified because we "done been wronged". What ever happened to turning the other cheek? It's not a life or death situation. Is it annoying? You bet. Is your world going to end? Hardly. Matching the behavior only brings society down further. Would it be comical if the hose "accidentally slipped"? Probably but that's what escalates a minor situation into one with potentially severe consequences.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid the problem by selecting a better site, away from things that draw foot traffic.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
This hardly happens to us ever fortunately ๐Ÿ™‚ but one cg I was right on the path to the spot where you put in the tubes for river rafting. omg the traffic and some came right under my awning and what I did was simple. I backed the truck in sidesways to the front of the camper and made it impassable and put the clothesline across another way from tree to tree and then put chairs etc in another area...it worked fine ๐Ÿ™‚ Never had a problem after that, most I would do is use the block system if I can....but you can't truly fix their manners.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I be tempted to return the favor. Perhaps riding my Harley past their front door.

Most likely, though, I'd say something like, "Get out of my campsite!" That I've done before and it works. If I just let them walk through without something then they'll keep doing it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Common courtesy, along with common sense has gone the same way as society in general has...down the tirlet.

X100 to that!!!!!!!!
X101. Wait, things will get much worse with each generation that follows. Society had reached it's plateau a couple of generations ago. We are now witnessing a downward spiral.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I usually just spray them down with my hose

Spray ME down and get your attorney ready. That type of behavior puts you on the same level as the person who walks through your site-devoid of respect.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been guilty of it on 2 occasions. Both times we hiked a loop, and the trail dumped out right between 2 campsites. Really weird to have a trailhead in a campsite. We apologized as we went through and felt bad about it. Both times it was a state park but in 2 different states.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Common courtesy, along with common sense has gone the same way as society in general has...down the tirlet.

X100 to that!!!!!!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"