cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Common courtesy

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the mountains for a few days. People have been passing through our site like they paid for it. The have been walking right across our patio where we put our table. We decided to stand there a while to see what they would do. Two grown men and and a grown boy walked right by us without speaking. I finally asked if they knew better and he said yes but. Can't fix stupid.
45 REPLIES 45

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
This thread surprises me as a newbie....I can't imagine just trudging through another persons site no matter how much time it saves. I would have to say something if someone cut through my site without a good reason.

Welcome to the forums.... You'll read about absolutely everything here, and I mean "everything"!

Give yourself some time. You WILL encounter this very annoying and inconsiderate behavior someday. When it happens, you really are kind of speechless. Do you say something that may anger the other person and they may turn on you (which does happen sometimes). Do you ignore them and continue to be frustrated.

Many of us, once the traffic starts it's path ... yes ... even under our awnings ... start putting up an obstical course making it somewhat inconvenient for people to pass through. This eliminates the problem in a non-confrontational way. But even then, it doesn't work all the time.

The dog on a long leash works well, but if the dog is too aggressive, that's not a good thing either. Suppose the traveling minstrel can't get out of the dogs way fast enough.

There's no easy answer. We usually set up our Quick Shades as our parameter, which means 'stay out of this space' by tilting them so it's near impossible to walk under them. This works for us.

Still, if your campsite is near a public access area (like a trail head, the only water spigot in a row of campsites, near the bath house or something like that) it's still very hard to keep people from passing through.

We've not had this happen too many times in 30 (plus) years of camping. Small kids, you can expect such behavior. And kids will get the idea real quick to take an alternate route once you stare them down. But obnoxious adults is another matter.

You've really got to pick your battles, but trust me Blutoyz, it will happen. One or two passing through is not a big deal and often ignored. But when it becomes a stead stream of traffic ... well ... suggestion: ... think it through right now what you'll do and be prepared. Your "solution" to keep "them" out may work, and it may not. If not, then think up another non-confrontational way that says, "keep out!" No easy answers.... nope, none at all. People are just absolute (donkies)!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is one problem I have not encountered. I suppose it's my dogs that keep people out. Or maybe I pick good sites.

The closest I have come to this is at my favorite campground and site. The site sits just above a nice deep section of the creek and folks enjoy walking down to it. The people never walk through my site, but their unleashed dogs often wander up into my site. I just politely yell out "could you call your dog back" and they call the dog and walk away (and rarely wander back while I'm there).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
This thread surprises me as a newbie....I can't imagine just trudging through another persons site no matter how much time it saves. I would have to say something if someone cut through my site without a good reason.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Common courtesy, along with common sense has gone the same way as society in general has...down the tirlet.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those things I have to see as it depends on the situation, sometimes poor campground layout is to blame. I spent a couple of days at a Forest Service campground in the mountains this summer where cutting through a campsite was the only practical way to get from one of the camping loops to the restroom building, as the alternative would turn a 150-200 foot walk into a 400-500 foot walk that would include walking out to the main road, and then back in the other camping loop entrance. This was not through any one specific camp site, but any one of 3 or 4 sites.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually these kinds of posts result in the OP being chastised for complaining, but I doubt there's a single person on this board who would disparage you for complaining about that!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Wattle fencing: https://www.niftyhomestead.com/blog/wattle-fence/

make it at home, it's light weight.. might be able to make on site. strategically placed can make the trip through your site more hassle than going around...

I've never had much trouble of this nature. However I'm also a rather large ex-powerlifter and I don't look friendly at all....
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Why not have a sign made and put it at the front of your campsite ... in BIG letters ...

"Beware of Dog Poo on Ground. I don't pick up after my dog!"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Can't fix stupid.

Nope, you can't fix rude/stupid. And it will probably get worse as America gets dumber. ๐Ÿ˜ž

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep do all those things that open YOU to a law suit. next time pick your spot better, you can,t change stupid.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My most common pet-peeve... cutting through the campsite I paid for, much less the liability issue.. on MY part. Trip, fall, dog jumps at the person....

Do they know better? Yes.... IMO, but do they care? NO.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Get out a large cooks whetstone and sit sharpening a large knife or two, or if the knives are done, fletch a few arrows or break out a reloading press, folks give the crazies space. Heh heh

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
When you first pull in dig land mines. Place them strategically on your site. Wait for the boom and go give it to them. they are not as likely to respond aggressively.
Dennis Hoppert

GordonThree wrote:
That's a drawback of having a site near a bath house, trailhead or playground. At least that's been my experience with folks cutting through my sites in the past. Especially amusing is when they'd get upset about attention from my dog while they trespass on my site.

^^ This is my answer also.. Even had one ask me to shorten the lead on my dog so she could not reach the back side of the camper..

Yea, ok... hold your breath for that one ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
That's a drawback of having a site near a bath house, trailhead or playground. At least that's been my experience with folks cutting through my sites in the past. Especially amusing is when they'd get upset about attention from my dog while they trespass on my site.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed