cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Correct hitch height

kamperkomic
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I bought a new 35ft travel trailer. The rv dealer installed a new eaz-lift weight distribution hitch. I have concerns that the hitch was installed incorrectly and I want some opinions. I took some measurements and this is what I've come up with.
With TT unhooked and level, the top of the coupler hitch measures 23 inches. The top of the ball measures 25 1/2 inches. When I hook up the trailer, and engage the WD, the front of the trailer measures 1 1/2 inches higher than the rear of the trailer. The tongue weight is 950lbs.
By my calculations the ball height should be adjusted so that it is 23 5/8 inches. This should change the trailer to be more level or angled downward when hooked up to the tow vehicle. Hopefully this would create a much safer ride.

Your thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerallen wrote:
Dealer install may have assumed more squat than you actually ended up with.
Agree with others in that you generally want either level or slightly nose down when ready to tow.

Very true. The first "set up" with a WD hitch is usually to get a feel for how it will sit. It's rarely perfect on the first attempt as there are several variables involved. You initially set it were you "think" it should be then take your measurements and do the final adjustmens up/down from there. That's what I did with my EQ hitch, ie, got it close enough to drive the new trailer home from the dealer and then found I needed to drop the hitch head down a hole to get it just right. Dealers rarely take the time to do the final adjustment to get it dialed in just right.

As noted above, the trailer should be level or slightly nose-down. I prefer slightly nose down. Having the tongue higher than the rear can cause sway.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kamperkomic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone's replies. It seems that we are on the same page on this one. My next stop is to get to a truck scales and get several weights on the whole rig before I start making adjustments. Thanks for the input.

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, what is the trailer weight? How does it tow?

I'm just thinking that a 35' travel trailer would be around 8-9k+ lbs loaded, which would have me thinking that the 950 lbs TW might be a bit light.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Try the eaz-lift web site. They have very good instructions on how to adjust it. It may take several tries before you are comfortable with it. I, too, prefer slightly low in front.

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer install may have assumed more squat than you actually ended up with.
Agree with others in that you generally want either level or slightly nose down when ready to tow.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
slightly downhill in front increases your bumper clearance in the rear of the trailer .
we mostly camp without hookups , maybe a few miles down gravel roads .
we need clearance for that .

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Level is fine but slightly down in front is better. Adjust it to this.

In reality a slightly up in the front is not a real bad thing. It's just better to have a slight down angle in front.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln