Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Couple wrecks trailer 20 minutes after buying it

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link

Curious what the forum's opinion is on who should be liable. Seems to me like the dealer has some responsibility.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,
61 REPLIES 61

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keithk3628 wrote:
Well if they did buy it at a dealer I wonder if they set the sway control properly, the driver said she couldn't control the sway. And new RV owners might have relied on a dealer to set up the sway control device if one.

And like westernparkowner said, the new owner making excuses for the 2x4's and 2x6's. Very weird, can't remember ever seeing any travel trailer with a floor of 2x4 or 2x6.
I'll freely admit, I've never owned a TT, have used a few, but, That was my first thought.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Well if they did buy it at a dealer I wonder if they set the sway control properly, the driver said she couldn't control the sway. And new RV owners might have relied on a dealer to set up the sway control device if one.

And like westernparkowner said, the new owner making excuses for the 2x4's and 2x6's. Very weird, can't remember ever seeing any travel trailer with a floor of 2x4 or 2x6.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
Why did the op and others assume there was a dealer involved? The article said nothing about where they bought it.

The article references Poulsbo which is a big RV dealer in the Pacific Northwest.
Eric & Lisa - Oregon

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the driver was already trying to make excuses with the 2 x 6 **** and bull story. Apparently they were almost given a ticket for excessive speed. Looks to be cut and dried case of operator error since they are ultimately responsible for what they put on the highway and their ability to operate the rig.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
With two tanks in the rear and one at the axles, and seeing water all over the road, one must question the engineering on the unit. So looking at the bright side, one more piece of junk is off the road.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw that on the news just now. What a shame! Sure hope they had insurance.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think before we start laying any blame on "the dealer", we ought to find out if there was even a dealer involved in the sale. None are mentioned in the article, nor is there any mention of the trailer being "new", just the new owner.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why did the op and others assume there was a dealer involved? The article said nothing about where they bought it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it would take a jury to decide if the dealer was liable. I once saw the owner of a new 45 foot DP drive off with only the test drive to count as previous experience. I heard another case where a new 5th wheel owner brought his new trailer back after an hour with the passenger side caved in.

As it is in the majority of states, no special licensing or training is required to buy and drive a motorhome or tow a trailer. Seems that would relieve the dealer of responsibility.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
By looking at the pictures the 2X4s & 2x6s it was an old trailer that was sold to some unsuspecting people. Who knows what else was done to the trailer. It did have an friction ball on the frame. Whatever happened my heart goes out to this couple.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty clearly a used, hack-job repair. Not sure how much the difference in weight between 2x4s and what was there originally would be. Mine's 3/4" plywood so I'm thinking it might be negligible but I'm no expert.

She (the driver) said it was swaying and she lost control of it. Driver inexperience/error. No mention of whether she even had a brake controller that might have helped stop the sway if she knew how (probably didn't). Just someone learning the hard way.Scooped up their "new" camper with a front loader. Everybody lived, TV wasn't damaged. Could have been worse.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to me us the floor was repaired with old pallet lumber. I also don't see any evidence of sway control on the trailer, unless it ripped off. Lots we don't know.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard to tell what happened. Was the trailer defective? Was the tow vehicle rated to tow the weight of the trailer? Was the driver experienced at towing a trailer? There's so much we don't know.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
The article is short on information, and we all know how the news media isn't fully accurate. I am wondering if by "new" they mean "new owners" and not a "brand-new RV".

Looking closely at the pictures, the one of it overturned showing the added wood really looks like the underside of a used RV. Surface rust on the frame, and the OSB particle board looks like it is rotted. I am guessing this was a hack repair done by the previous owner.

So if it had a hack job that significantly changed the weight of the trailer, that would not be shown on the weight sticker. If the dealer did not disclose the issue and let the customer leave the lot with an overweight trailer and under-capacity tow vehicle, then I could see the dealer having some liability for what happened.
Eric & Lisa - Oregon

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The game is to find some one else to blame and try to get cash from. Dealer is not responsible for driver not knowing hot to drive. UNLESS, he inspected their hookup and pronounced it proper correct, and safe. And only if they have that in writing.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.