cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cracked Water Filter - Freeze?

nagel
Explorer
Explorer
So, today I was cleaning out a box on the RV that holds all my "important things". I noticed all over the bottom of the box were these black pellets or beads and then I noticed my inline water filter was cracked and these "beads" were coming out of it.

I typically, coil up the water hose with the filter still attached and hook everything together so water does not come out of the hose and/or "things" don't get into the hose. I think what happened was that there was still some water in the hose and over the winter the inline filter cracked due to freezing.

No biggy, I need to order a new filter anyway, but thought I would pass this along. I never thought about protecting all this when I do my annual winterize.
Steven R. Nagel
5 REPLIES 5

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your filter froze with water in it then it is ruined. period. sorry.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two of the blue inline filters crack some years ago, but none since. The cracks were not caused by freezing, just poor manufacturing. I toss the filters at the end of the season.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I hang hose and in-line filter to completely drain out the water before storing.

x2 ... even without the risk of freezing, I wouldn't want to store water inside a hose with it closed up. There's plenty of "things" in the hose and filter already, and giving them water to breed in... yikes
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hose itself is generally okay with freezing; it's stretchy enough to not burst. Fittings and such are a different story.

Glad you noticed the hole before hooking stuff up and turning on the water!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hang hose and in-line filter to completely drain out the water before storing.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31