cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cumbres Toltec Scenic Railway - Southern Rockies

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II

We have been enjoying the southern Rockies of Colorado and New Mexico for a week, currently staying at the Pagosa Riverside campground just outside of Pagosa Springs. Always wanted to ride the Cumbres Toltec Scenic Railway and yesterday we got it done... WOW! You have got to do this!

Before leaving home we made reservations on line for the all day trip. Our site is 50 miles from Chama NM at the southern end of the railway which made for another spectacular motorcycle ride. We rolled out of the campground at 0645 to insure we would be in Chama to pick up our tickets by 8 and made it easily though the ride was a tad nippy - 65 mph in mid to upper 30's is brisk.

There are 8 or 9 different trips/routes per day you can take departing and/or returning to several possible locations. The total route between Chama and Antonito is 64 miles and lasts about 5.5 hours as you will average 12 mph. We elected to ride the luxury motor coach from Chama to Antonito as I wanted to check out highway 17 for a future motorcycle road and it was amazing. This also gave us a good preview of the train ride to come. The bus ride was an hour and we departed Antonito at 10.

A large buffet lunch {Meatloaf or Turkey with all the trimmings and a salad bar + dessert} was served at 1:00 in Osier and is included in the price of your ticket. It was pretty decent and after a 45 minute stop we headed back to Chama arriving right on time at 4:05. A much warmer hour of enjoying more of the Rockies finest bike roads saw us back to camp by 5:15.

There are three levels of pricing, we opted for the "Deluxe Tourist Car "which is in the middle price wise at $155 a head {$333 out the door with fees}. The Parlor Car is $195 a head and the entry level car goes fo $95. We were very comfortable and spent much of the day outside in the open "Gondola" car. Temps were in the mid 80's for most of the day.

To say the scenery is spectacular is faint praise, words, even pics and video cannot begin to do it justice. How they were able to engineer this incredible railroad is mind boggling.

If you ever find yourself in this part of the west take the time, take this train... you will not regret it!

:B
10 REPLIES 10

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
The problem I saw with the Durango-Silveton is that it runs down the canyon where views are restricted.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a young boy, my son was very much into trains of all kinds. Huge "Thomas The Tank Engine" fan, had quite the collection of Thomas Toys (still has it all).

So one summer we decided to do the train tour of southern Colorado. It was an experience of a lifetime, I still have great memories of that trip. The C&T was a brilliant trip, the views are incredible and the experience well worth the expense. The train crosses the NM/CO line multiple times and the scenery changes are subtle but dramatic.

We stayed in Chama, walking to the RR station from our campground and took the bus to Antonito. Many folks had recommended going this direction since it starts out in the high desert and gradually changes as the train heads toward Chama. It did not disappoint.

In addition to the C&T, we did the Durango & Silverton, the Georgetown Loop, the Victor & Cripple Creek and the Manitou Incline. A trip full of wonderful memories.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We loved that ride and did it a couple times from both directions.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah we have never taken the Durango-Silverton railroad. We never knew we were going to be Durango soon enough to get reservations. We did take the Cumbres Toltec railway a few years ago. We traveled from Antonito to Chama and then took the bus back to Antonito. All in all a fun day. Clearly one of the best train rides we have taken.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have done over 20 tourist train rides. I much prefer the steam locomotive rides.

My favorite is the Durango to Silverton with the Cumbres Toltec Scenic Railway a very very close second.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
You can camp up near Sublette NM and watch as it comes through the area. I've chased it on a dual-sport as there's a dirt road that follows it in that area. I rode the train years ago and some guy was doing the same thing so I made it a mission to go back one day and do what he did.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Another train ride worth the trip is fron Durango to Silverton, awsome ride along the Animas river.

navegator

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the trip from Chama to Antonio, riding the bus back from Antonio. No regrets. Was a fantastic experience!
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It is a really great trip. And you made the right choice in taking bus to Antonito and the train from Antonito to Chama as it starts in the arid, almost desert, area at Antonito and climbs up thru the mountain valley and passes ending at Chama. The reverse route, while still the same scenery, would be somewhat anti-climatic starting in the mountains and ending in the desert. Been trying for years to make it back and do it again.

We also opted for the middle price, but I spent much of the time outside in the open car. Just don't do the open car thru the tunnel!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great place. I like Pagosa Springs also. The Southern Rockies are a wonderful place to live.