cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

curb side tire run hotter

jhlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5th wheel and according to the Tire Pressure and temperature gauge the curb side tires run hotter than the street side. I have Goodyear g614 and filled the tires to 95 psi this morning. around 2 pm the air temp was 86. curb side front 104, curb side rear 104. Street side front 91, street side back 93. I was traveling north bound. The wheels and hubs feel a little cooler than the tread by touch of the hand. 3 weeks ago I had a blow out on the curb side rear but I have noticed for the past year after I purchased the TPM that the curb side tires always run about 10 - 12 deg warmer and the rear curb side tire is usually 2 - 3 deg warmer than the curb front tire. When I put on the spare tire I did check that the wheel turns freely. The RV weighs 12.1 on the scales GVRW is 16k. 2006 KZ 37K toy hauler with no "toys" in the back. Tires are not wearing abnormally. Any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I did the double pass weights (full and side, plus actually a third/fourth weight with just the TV) on certified scales at the dump. The dump (refuse/recycler) was easy and nearby, I've actually never used CAT.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
CAT seems to say not to do that. Specifically, this:

Our scales can give you axle weights and a total gross weight, however, they cannot weigh each corner of the vehicle. We cannot provide individual wheel weights and, to prevent damage to your vehicle as well as our scales, do not allow that type of weighing.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of CAT scales are set in the ground with level ground all around them. Drive up on the scale with the RIGHT side of your unit OFF the scale. This will give you the left side weights, then do a full weigh with the whole unit on the scale, and then do the math to figure the right side weights.

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Tires on the curb side are carrying more weight due to crowned (slight or severe) roads. Normal to run a little hotter. Nothing to be concerned about nor need to try to adjust air pressure to compensate.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you concerned about a 10 to 15 degree differential? IOW's, why worry about it?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Measure side-side by driving through scales with only one side on the scales with the other tires off to the side. You can subtract these measurements from the total ones to get the weight of the side that was off the scales.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
jhlee wrote:
I mentioned it was about 2 pm and I was heading north bound so the sun was not on the curb side tires at that time. Otherwise the curb side always run about 10 deg hotter. I will increase them to 110 cold psi and see what that materializes. Does anyone know where there are some scales for side to side? The CAT scales I have used in the past only provided front, rear (drive) and trailer axles.

Running tires over or under inflated will cause the tires to over heat which causes damage along with being overweight.
HR

jhlee
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned it was about 2 pm and I was heading north bound so the sun was not on the curb side tires at that time. Otherwise the curb side always run about 10 deg hotter. I will increase them to 110 cold psi and see what that materializes. Does anyone know where there are some scales for side to side? The CAT scales I have used in the past only provided front, rear (drive) and trailer axles.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
The "in the sun side" tires can run 10 degrees more in my experience. I have G614's also and run them at 110 psi.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming that you've made allowances for the side that has the sun shining on it. It will always be warmer than the shaded side.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Our curb side is 900 pounds heavier than the street side. We run our G614 at a 110 psi. On our last set of tires we had some bad wear at 95, so now I run 110 psi.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

jhlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen scales side to side but I will check around. This rig has three slides but two are on the street side. Thanks for your suggestion.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess there is mpre weight on curb side. Get it weighed side to side to verify.