cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW $59 install (read the fine print)

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing (!) is installed for $59. Read the fine print (we're talking very fine here) and it says they will also add a "shop supplies" fee that is 10% of the original labor amount (not the $59) to the work order.

So my advertised $59 went to a little over $81. While still not a bad deal it's just aggravating they advertise the $59 when nothing will be installed for that price.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
34 REPLIES 34

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
10% seems high for shop supplies. But same goes for any labor quote will never be what is quoted due to the added shop fee. The coupon gives a discount on labor.... nothing else. What do you expect?

Have had work done at CW and been charged a shop supply fee...never been a percentage...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
koda55 wrote:
I have never been to any service facility that did not charge for shop supplies.

That's a relatively "new" thing in the auto repair business. I can remember years ago, when the guy who actually DID the work on your car talked directly to the customer, took it for a ride with the customer, and told you a price. Unless something odd happened during the repair, that was the amount we paid.

Now, the bill only BEGINS with that amount, and tacks on shop fees, PC fees, sweeping floor fees, and any other odd named 'item' that was never in the mix before

At $125 an hour or so, that should include everything ... otherwise, it's too much like a deceitful estimate -- regardless if the "fine print."

When I was building homes, would often get requests from people for small jobs (hang a door - replace a window) -- and I had an hourly rate for that service. When I was finished, the hours added up to the price. No where did it say, or charge for a "saw filing fee, or a sawdust suck-up fee, or a sharpen chisel fee" ...

businesses nowadays believe it's OK, and it's become common practice to find 'items it can list' and therefore add to the bill.

If the hour-rate on a shop sets at $115 an hour, it should include everything -- it doesn't list 'mechanic cost, insurance cost, rent cost' separate, so why should it list 'shop rag' separate ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

This is America, people have every right to feel cheated and write about it here.

I suggest if you don't like it to go someplace else.

If they went someplace else......could they still feel cheated and write about it here - or not?

Yikes! - Imagine a forum without rants..:R

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Just so I'm clear, they advertise that an install is $59.00, yet it is absolutely impossible to have anything installed for $59.00 under any scenario due to the additional shop supply fee? I'm sorry, but in my book, it is deceptive if there is no way to have an install done for the amount advertised. They could also put in the fine print that an additional $500 will be added to any install as anything they want and that doesn't make it any less deceptive. Sure people should read the fine print and make their decision based on the totality of the circumstances, but CW knows that most people will not read it.

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Rollnhome wrote:
I know of no instance that I have been handed the fine print after signing a service contract. If that happened to me I would refuse to pay. All the terms are in the 4 corners of the contract. If it is not stated or referenced in the contract is is not a part of the contract.

There's no "contract". The person walks into the store and says "I want to take advantage of the $59 install" The work is done and then the person is surprised with a bunch of added nonsense.

Not in CA and I believe in many other states, you sign a work order authorizing the work. In CA that has to state the estimated charges to accomplish the work and requires a authorization form the owner BEFORE any further work or expense added beyond the estimate.

BTW the BAR work order required to used states right in it a "shop supplies" charge in the subtotal and total.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
10% seems high for shop supplies. But same goes for any labor quote will never be what is quoted due to the added shop fee. The coupon gives a discount on labor.... nothing else. What do you expect?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
Fine print – baloney…
Read the ad… while its not the headline its not small print either, it is not deception, nor is there anything wrong with it… and it is available to read before the sales agreement… there should be no surprises here, none, naada…

http://www.campingworld.com/rv-service-parts/rv-product-installation/

It very simply requires the buyer to read the information available about the offer that everyone interested in taking advantage of it should do…

Everybody has to be a victim anymore…

It is by no means hidden. It is no different then the $20 oil change. Diesel, that is extra. More than 5 quarts, that it extra. Etc.

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI...jjbirish

If you got the ad in the mail it is no where near that size. Also the ad at the service counter (large sign on the wall) does not have any of the fine print.

Again, I'm not saying others don't do it or that it can't be found (and should be) just that I don't feel they are very up front with it and can come as a surprise if you're not careful.
The key word here is "careful." As in buyer beware.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day, a friend of mine bought a Sunbeam sports car. The Alpine model was easy to work on, but the Tiger model had such a big engine that you had to pull the motor to install a new lower fan belt pulley. The installation price "varied".
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Fine print – baloney…
Read the ad… while its not the headline its not small print either, it is not deception, nor is there anything wrong with it… and it is available to read before the sales agreement… there should be no surprises here, none, naada…

http://www.campingworld.com/rv-service-parts/rv-product-installation/

It very simply requires the buyer to read the information available about the offer that everyone interested in taking advantage of it should do…

Everybody has to be a victim anymore…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
My only concern is the not being right up front with the whole issue. BIG sign the counter at CW -- $59 install. No fine print on the big sign. Also, I called on the phone and got the original estimate and was told that was with the $59 install with no word about any additional charges. When I got there and saw the printed estimate then found out about the extras.

I said in the original post that it was still a good deal just aggravating that the price wasn't as stated up front. Just for the record I did choose to not do business with CW and went elsewhere.

Actually got everything done with a total price $36 less than CW. $36 wasn't a big deal as total job was almost $1600 but at least they up front about all charges. Before someone starts... no, I don't think #4 font at the bottom of the page with a bunch of other conditions is being up front. But then maybe that's just me.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
fine print. we all KNOW it is there 🙂 who are we kidding, so ASK first about what the final cost of the work will be. I do. I want the bottom line no matter what is advertised (most times they can questimate a price for me) and then I know what I am dealing with.

geez, lets see my phone is ONLY $29.99 per month. then the 'fees' come on and it is thru the stinking roof 🙂 advertised as ONLY....then we all know what that means don't we. start adding the rest. and it adds up fast.
That type of thing happens everywhere. it is up to us to find the final costs and then make the decision to spend your money.

Does any one of us like this. Nope 🙂 but we all know it is what it is.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
If you don't like it, move on and don't shop there. Very simple.

precisely. when we need RV supplied we shop at CW...most of the time.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I have never been to any service facility that did not charge for shop supplies.