cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Death Wobble Continues ....

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We are aware of the Death Wobble problem. We bought a used 2018 Jeep Cherokee and their special tow harness that prevents DW from occurring. Well despite our efforts DW still occurs when the Jeep hits a bump just right.

Given that we have done everything we are supposed to have to avoid DW, are there any other fixes or adjustments that can be made? Jeep is essentially new, only 15k miles so linkage is tight.

Thanks in advance...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
30 REPLIES 30

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
georgelesley wrote:
Bungee cords holding the steering wheel snugly but not locked in place will help.

This. It was required when towing my wife's YJ Wrangler and her big Blazer-we hook them to the mount for the passenger seat.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's my opinion (and purely that!) where part of the cause of DW is sloppy tow bar parts. Our new Roadmaster Falcon had 2" of side-to-side play over all of the connections:
1) Frame mounting brackets to baseplate bars
2) Baseplate bars to quick-disconnect crossbar
3) Crossbar to towbar
4) Towbar stinger to motorhome receiver

Additionally, there was a half inch of up/down play between the crossbar and baseplates.

All of this factory slop most certainly contributes to DW when towing vehicles that are susceptible to the condition.

Before our first tow across Oregon, I put a lot of effort into reducing that slop by adding thin washers where possible, and reducing the slop in the baseplate bars to the frame brackets and the stinger to receiver. We never had an issue with DW as it all felt tight and solid.

Stinger shims:

Stinger clamp:

Crossbar to Towbar shims:

Crossbar to Towbar shims:

Crossbar to Towbar vertical post shims:

The one effect I noticed was the MH steering was twitchy, as the pickup would push left/right on the tail depending on the corners. It wasn't a big deal, but took a bit more focus than not towing.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Bungee cord wrapped around the bottom of the steering wheel and hooked under the edge of the driver's seat on both sides of the BrakeBuddy handle. I've used the green/black fabric bungee that you buy in a plastic jar at Walmart, they have the plastic hooks that are non-marring. Basically 5 wraps around the wheel is about right to give the steering enough resistance to eliminate the wobble.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bungee 's!
Had not thought of that but sounds reasonable enough....Thank you..
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Bungee cords holding the steering wheel snugly but not locked in place will help.

I've been thinking of doing this if my toad starts to wobble.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
No....the tow bar does slightly angle down toward car. Might be worth a try to get a small drop hitch to see if that does the trick. Never thought about that so much because it was not that big of angle but I'm willing to try most anything.

I did a little reading in regards to this....I believe in within the 3" dip but it still might be worth a try to get the difference closer to level.

If you are within the 3โ€ you should be OK, but some cars are less tolerant to that number. Itโ€™s worth a shot if the wiring kit is working correctly.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Are you positive that the harness is working and powering the steering like it should?

To some of the other folks replying, great โ€œgeneralโ€ suggestions as DW can be caused by many different things. But imo this issue is likely the power steering issue.
Bottom line, vehicles are beginning to get too smart to use for other purposes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
No....the tow bar does slightly angle down toward car. Might be worth a try to get a small drop hitch to see if that does the trick. Never thought about that so much because it was not that big of angle but I'm willing to try most anything.

I did a little reading in regards to this....I believe in within the 3" dip but it still might be worth a try to get the difference closer to level.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your tow bar dead level? Not pointing up to the MH?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that either the alignment is wrong or it has worn or loose parts or both.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting topic and I don't mean to misdirect it but, I have what I've referred to as a death wobble while towing my HHR behind the motorhome. It happens so infrequenly I hesitate to mention it but when it does occurr, it shakes the motor home too.

It feels as if the towed vehicle has a flat, when it happens, I can see it rocking back and forth in the rear camera! It's very unsettling but goes away as quickly as it happens. My best guess is that the two bar is binding and somehow causing the HHR to "hop". I can't say for sure, but if I spray the tow bar and assorted joints with silicon lube before each tow, no issues!

It's fresh on my mind only because it happened on the way home from Arizona a couple weeks ago....the few miles before getting home after a 400 mile jaunt. The tow bar is a Demco X-caliber.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread????
96 Vogue Prima Vista

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are TWO common causes of "Death Wobble" one applies specifically to JEEPS and they do have a recall to address it. The other applies to all motor vehicles and can happen if towed or driven.

Front end alignment is the solution to that one. Worn out parts.. NOTE Alignment may affect both of them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Different front end alignment for towed Jeeps?

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Either you are doing something wrong or the wiring harness was installed wrong - I have not had any problems since mine was installed in 2017
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks