cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demand Water Pump - dumb question

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig has a "demand" water pump. I know that when the pump is powered, it'll come on if the outside water pressure drops below a certain point.

What I don't know is where the pump is then getting water - is it switching to the on-board water tank, is it just sucking more water from the city connection, or is it mixing the two somehow?

I realize that not all rigs are plumbed the same, so a "generally" or "most of the time" type of answer is fine.

Just wondering . . .

Thanks

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simple terms

Pump pressure switch turns pump on if system pressure goes low enough (35# or 45# depending on pump)

City water inlet has a check valve to prevent pump discharge from leaking out thru connection
Pump has check valve to prevent city water from back-flowing thru pump filling/over flowing fresh water tank

Pump and city water supply same system

Generic RV water System (some minor differences like tank fill, water panel etc) But plumbing Hot/Cold same

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
Pump draws from the onboard tank only. You don't use it when hooked up to shore water source.

Which also means it's best to turn the switch off when connected to a shore water source so that the other mentioned booster mode doesn't happen all the time.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Pump draws from the onboard tank only. You don't use it when hooked up to shore water source. It is not intended to be a pressure booster for low pressure shore water. If you use it as such, it will attempt to pump water back into the shore water supply, which should lock up the back flow preventer valve required to be in your shore water inlet and you will wind up ONLY using water from the fresh water holding tank. If the back flow preventer does not do its job, you risk contaminating the shore side water system with whatever possibly untreated water is in YOUR fresh water tank, which is why there is required to be such a preventer valve.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bipeflier wrote:
Pump draws from the onboard tank only. You don't use it when hooked up to shore water source.
Best correct answer.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
When the shore water pressure is low and our water pump is turned on, the water pump will try to raise the pressure by pumping more water. The water comes from the on board tank. If there is no water in the tank, the water pump will still run to try to improve the pressure. We always keep water in our on board tank so the pump increases the water pressure in low pressure situations (like the one we had yesterday).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)