cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different kind of tire dilemma (update last page)

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
(Update last page)I have a seasonal unit that extremely weathered tires. I need to take it two hours away for repairs. I am replacing some aged out tires on a camper at home that show no signs of weather checking but are old. I thought of reusing the tires from at home for the repair trip. The other option is to purchase some cheap new tires for the seasonal for this one time trip. When the seasonal gets back it won't be moved for years.
The question is reuse or replace? Can get Tow max tires for around $270. plus mounting.
24 REPLIES 24

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ordered tires the 11th received them today.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not check he price of tires and rims then deliver the trailer to the repair shop and back put the old tires back on and sell the ones you used for the trip.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have already ordered the replacement tires.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Scottiemom wrote:
I think I would buy a cheap set of new tires for the trip. You could probably resell them and get some of your money back if you wanted to go the trouble. That beats having a blowout at interstate speeds and tearing something up on the trailer.

Dale

That beats having a blowout at interstate speeds and killing someone.

If it ain't roadworthy, it has NO business being on the road. $270 is the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy (relative to the possible downstream costs).

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I have a seasonal unit that extremely weathered tires. I need to take it two hours away for repairs. I am replacing some aged out tires on a camper at home that show no signs of weather checking but are old. I thought of reusing the tires from at home for the repair trip. The other option is to purchase some cheap new tires for the seasonal for this one time trip. When the seasonal gets back it won't be moved for years.
The question is reuse or replace? Can get Tow max tires for around $270. plus mounting.

For $270, I would replace. Why risk using questionable tires.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will bite the bullet so to speak and get some Tow Max 10 ply tires for the seasonal. That will make 10 tires I've purchased this month, LOL.

The other issue I might of had is getting a tire shop to mount 10 year old tires.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I think I would buy a cheap set of new tires for the trip. You could probably resell them and get some of your money back if you wanted to go the trouble. That beats having a blowout at interstate speeds and tearing something up on the trailer.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
How old is "old"? I've been driving on some tires that are 10 years old, but they are getting sketchy, and would have to be replaced soon if I'd kept the car.
They are about 10 years old but trailer has always been stored out of the sun in a pole barn.

So you have been using these tires without issue up until your last trip.
If that is the case one more trip with the 10 year old tires on the the seasonal trailer is a reasonable idea.
However how much $$ time and effort to install the 10 year old tires on the seasonal vs a set of El Cheapo's?
I might be penny wise pound foolish trying to reuse the tires. I was on the fence is why I even posted. I guess what bothered me was buying tires for a single trip to probably age out again. Just always been frugal.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
I would just air up the existing and run max 50 mph to the shop.
Carry a couple spares.

Not sure what work is getting done... maybe a mobile RV mechanic would be easier.
I tried to schedule a appointment with a Mobil rv tech but he is always to busy to do it in season, off season to much snow to get to trailer. Tires on seasonal would not trust except at extremely low speed.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I'd look at them very closely after I removed them from the trailer and make a determination at that point. If they looked good and held air for a couple days with no leak down, I would probably use them.

This, of course, depends on those two hours not being 2 hours of 65 mph interstate. Driven gently I would do it.
It is 2 hrs of interstate.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would just air up the existing and run max 50 mph to the shop.
Carry a couple spares.

Not sure what work is getting done... maybe a mobile RV mechanic would be easier.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd look at them very closely after I removed them from the trailer and make a determination at that point. If they looked good and held air for a couple days with no leak down, I would probably use them.

This, of course, depends on those two hours not being 2 hours of 65 mph interstate. Driven gently I would do it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
How old is "old"? I've been driving on some tires that are 10 years old, but they are getting sketchy, and would have to be replaced soon if I'd kept the car.
They are about 10 years old but trailer has always been stored out of the sun in a pole barn.

So you have been using these tires without issue up until your last trip.
If that is the case one more trip with the 10 year old tires on the the seasonal trailer is a reasonable idea.
However how much $$ time and effort to install the 10 year old tires on the seasonal vs a set of El Cheapo's?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote: