cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Different States Length of Trailer Laws

Everitt
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are getting ready to purchase a new fifth wheel trailer and I noticed that states have different maximum length of trailer laws. What happens if your trailer is longer than the maximum length of trailer law for a state you wish to traveling in?
34 REPLIES 34

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
irishtom29 wrote:
If aware of the law you should obey it; we have enough self entitled people as it is. I think I'll start using my cell phone to call the coppers when I see obviously overlong rigs on the road.

The coppers? Should you even still be driving if you remember that term? Your eyes are probably shot also at that age! How would you determine length? ๐Ÿ™‚
Puma 30RKSS

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
If aware of the law you should obey it; we have enough self entitled people as it is. I think I'll start using my cell phone to call the coppers when I see obviously overlong rigs on the road.

Are you going to pull over and stop or will you break the law and use phone while driving?:h
Marvin

I'll pull over. Even though I have hands free bluetooth I got into the habit of pulling over when phones and cars were "stupid".

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:

Are you going to pull over and stop or will you break the law and use phone while driving?:h
Marvin

In many areas of our great country, that is not against the law! Here, for instance, within the City Limits, illegal. Outside the City Limits, not illegal.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:

Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
You never know when it will come up, a slightly different issue, but a friend of mine had a near miss a few years back in a big box store parking lot in PA.

The previous owner of his Class C had tinted the windows, all the rear windows and both passs. and drivers side windows.

A LEO responding to a call about a different person in a Class C found my friends unit first and approached.

It was soon evident that he had approached the wrong vehicle but pointed out to my friend that he was going to let him go this time because he was so close to the state line and travelling but that the next time he came through Pennsylvania he should have the tent which is illegal in that state removed. It was soon evident that he had approached the wrong vehicle but pointed out to my friend that he was going to let him go this time because he was so close to the state line and travelling but that the next time he came through Pennsylvania he should have the tent which is illegal in that state removed. By law he could have ordered the vehicle to be in compliance, I.E. strip the tint, before proceeding.

I guess itโ€™s like speeding, you might get away with it for years, or not.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
To be honest I never knew there even were any laws concerning lengths, and in saying that I never worried about it when towing through different states. I dont think many folks worry about it. I would suggest to get the floor plan you like and sufficient tow vehicle and then hit the road and enjoy it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
As long as you are legal in the state where it's registered you will be fine. .

well, NO you won't "be fine" but you may "pay a fine" . trailer length laws and mutiple towing laws are not covered under reciprocity between states. you MUST be legal in the state and roads you are towing on for length.

Iโ€™d be far concerned about what the bill to be towed to the nearest place your legal would be than any fine they may levy might come to.

Or what some bottom-feeding ambulance-chaser, ummmm, I mean respected liability lawyer, might cost you if thereโ€™s ever an accident, even a minor one.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
oops
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled this for years and never had a problem with being pulled over.(72+ feet).
Marvin
Clicky
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Everitt wrote:
Thank you to all of the replies. I didn' think about having an accident and being over length., I did think of it when it comes to weight (that's why we're going to a 1 ton dually). We are currently looking at 42' fifth wheels. We would like a shorter one but we cannot find a bunkhouse we like any shorter. By the way, I found the state lengths in the 2017 Good Sam Travel and Saving Guide book. It also has each states overall lengths in it.

Thatโ€™s because you donโ€™t need to worry about it. Too many chiken Littleโ€™s.
Go buy your favorite 5ver and dually and have fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
As long as you are legal in the state where it's registered you will be fine. .

well, NO you won't "be fine" but you may "pay a fine" . trailer length laws and mutiple towing laws are not covered under reciprocity between states. you MUST be legal in the state and roads you are towing on for length.

Now, I'd be interested in feedback from anyone who personally has been stopped and ticketed or given a warning for being overlength pulling a SINGLE trailer or 5th Wheel. I'd say it is an extremely rare occurance.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
While I agree that it is unlikely that anyone will be stopped just for being over length, your statement is just plain wrong. Reciprocity between states only applies to licensing and registration. Each state reserves the right to establish it's own laws for anything else such as weights, lengths, towing doubles, speeds, etc. Try telling a judge that you were going 70 in a 60 because it is legal where the vehicle is registered. You will have the same luck with length, weight or anything else. It is the driver's responsibility to know and comply with the laws in the state in which he is operating.

Silliness. Dont compare MPH to weight. I doubt there is anyone on this site that when making their travel plans, looks up the states limit on rv's to make sure they are legal and if not re-routes themselves to a more 'length friendly state' LOL.

The truth is - nobody really cares.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Lets make another point here, they want your money in the state you are traveling in, if you stop for food, fuel, camping etc your spending money. Unless you are out an out braking the laws of that state they will not bother you, as OP stated driving 70 in a 60 may get you a ticket, will the measure you when writing the ticket highly unlikely because you are a tourist...

One other things is they make far more money picking on trucks than they do you are a tourist...

One other pint is that someone stated follow the truck signs an if it states truck pull off here follow the signs an you will be ok, this is somewhat true but doing such at a weight station for trucks may just get you chewed out beyond belief by the scale operator an possible a LEO as well... Scale masters do not like RV on their scales when opened, they get really mad !! I do not care what anyone states as an over the road truck driver for 50 years you pulling a RV do not have to stop at any scale, drive by, no one will stop you unless you are hauling travel trailer for hire then it is a different story !!!