cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV (Genie system)

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just went back to Direct TV at home. I am considering buying a portable satellite to take with us when we travel. I will need to take the Genie receiver from the house and out it in the 5er.
I do have a couple of questions if any one can answer.

1. What portable satellite should I get? Do they all work with Direct TV.
2. When the service man installed in the house he had to run all new wire. Said the old copper coaxial wire need to be replaced. Something about the speed and pictures would not be as clear with the Genie. That was AT&T demand.
So my question is the 5er is wired with the copper coaxial cable is anyone using the genie system with that wiring?

3. Is there anything that I need to do special?
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013
13 REPLIES 13

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all for your response.

I was wondering is there anyone that has one of the more compact auto adjust satellites. Like the tailgater. Storage space is a premium in my 5er.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
"I bought this. Comes with everything you need. Just used it camping in Corpus Christi. Took a little while to find the signal but when I did it was great."

dwayneb236, I looked at this portable dish at Amazon, was reading some of the questions. Someone said the SWM SL3S dish was easier to "point" because you only had to get 3 satellites rather than 5. They also said the SL3S would be fine unless you wanted the Spanish channels. Do you know if this is true?

Also do you know if the SL5L will work with our HR54-500 Genie receiver?

Thanks in advance.
2011 Keystone Springdale
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the easiest is an align a site. Setup once and done. Pros use either a Birdog or the latest offering that Direct installers use. Which you can get online at places like ebay

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I knew the general area where my satellite was supposed to be. Just wondered if they picked anything up for fine tuning. I'll look into the app
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make noise when pointed at a sat but it might not be the right sat.

Best tool is Dishpointer AR for your smartphone.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'm pretty new to pointing the dish but have done it a few times. Are the satellite finders you see on amazon worth anything? I know you can buy a super expensive one but do the cheapos work at all? This of course is for anyone who has used one.
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i went from old round 18" dish technology to the slim line 3 dish and running a genie.

i used the same old cables and the genie worked fine.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
dwayneb236 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U6A9EHY/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483654437&sr=sr-1&keywords=direct+tv+p...

I bought this. Comes with everything you need. Just used it camping in Corpus Christi. Took a little while to find the signal but when I did it was great.

Even took my wireless boxes and router for the bedrooms.

And yes, I hooked it up to my satellite input outside and it worked fine inside.

X2 we get all our HD and SD channels with this set up.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the wireless mini-Genies you don't need coax cable as they use HDMI. I have the wireless Genie system and a roof-top Travler antenna. Great system. With the Genie all TV's get to watch different programs.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Online stores like solidsignal.com will point you to the exact package you need. Best to get an oval dish setup with the correct LNB and power supply for SWM operation. I personally bypassed the junk that the factory wired and ran new quality dedicated coax for to the location I wanted.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Look at tv4rv.com. Has all the stuff you need for ease in setting up a DIRECTV portable dish. Just a satisfied customer before we had our rooftop satellite installed.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U6A9EHY/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483654437&sr=sr-1&keywords=direct+tv+p...

I bought this. Comes with everything you need. Just used it camping in Corpus Christi. Took a little while to find the signal but when I did it was great.

Even took my wireless boxes and router for the bedrooms.

And yes, I hooked it up to my satellite input outside and it worked fine inside.
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
None of the carry out domes will give you HD. Not sure any of them work with Genie period. Some work with other DTV boxes in SD.

The Winegard Traveler is an auto align antenna; roof top although some people mount it to a piece of plywood. Bulky. $1600

When I had Genie I used a tripod and set it up.

You can use a carryout with DISH HD. I use a Winegard Pathway 2.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.