cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Tailgater

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
Finally, after 8 years broke down and bought one from Dish. It is sweet, but curious about design. Looks like a basketball.
I camp in the desert mainly in the winter around Gold Basin or Quartzsite which occasionally get some hi winds. Anyone have problems with them blowing over or around?
Thanks, Shep
26 REPLIES 26

Happy_Camper200
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Happy Camper2003 wrote:

Oh you're a real comedian ol Bombero! The last time I used it I had a completely clear shot of the sats. Most other times I figured it was a placement issue.

Thank you...:D

Does the above mean you're claiming operator error?

or

equipment malfunction?..:h

~

Well after this last use, equipment malfunction. :h
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Ext.cab Duramax\Allison
2009 Sabre 31 BHDS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper2003 wrote:

Oh you're a real comedian ol Bombero! The last time I used it I had a completely clear shot of the sats. Most other times I figured it was a placement issue.

Thank you...:D

Does the above mean you're claiming operator error?

or

equipment malfunction?..:h

~

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
That bloody white ball stands out like a sore thumb! If one roughed it up abit and sprayed camo, would it effect reception?
Shep

Happy_Camper200
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Happy Camper2003 wrote:
Well I'd almost pay someone to take mine. In clear view of the sats it almost never locks in on them, and that's running RG6 straight from the Tailgater to the receiver bypassing the 5er sat hookups. Its never been right since the day I got it. Very seldom do I ever get all the channels. I almost threw it in the lake last weekend. After two days of moving it, and three calls to dish tech,I finally gave up and watched regular tv.

On edit: replied to "UNhappy Camper" before seeing the post above with the very logical suggestion from KC.
Novel idea!
Buy 'em books and send 'em to school, and they still.......ROTFL.

~

Soooooo.....Why didn't you return it, or send it in for repair?..:R

If your car/truck/MH gave you that kind of service would you drive it in the lake also?..:S

Lots of happy TG users.
Some just a tad smarter than others...:W

~

2009 Sabre 31 BHDS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper2003 wrote:
Well I'd almost pay someone to take mine. In clear view of the sats it almost never locks in on them, and that's running RG6 straight from the Tailgater to the receiver bypassing the 5er sat hookups. Its never been right since the day I got it. Very seldom do I ever get all the channels. I almost threw it in the lake last weekend. After two days of moving it, and three calls to dish tech,I finally gave up and watched regular tv.

On edit: replied to "UNhappy Camper" before seeing the post above with the very logical suggestion from KC.
Novel idea!
Buy 'em books and send 'em to school, and they still.......ROTFL.

~

Soooooo.....Why didn't you return it, or send it in for repair?..:R

If your car/truck/MH gave you that kind of service would you drive it in the lake also?..:S

Lots of happy TG users.
Some just a tad smarter than others...:W

~

Happy_Camper200
Explorer
Explorer
King Controls wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Happy Camper2003 wrote:
Try calling the manufacturer, King Controls in Bloomington, MN. I had a problem with mine and they determined one of the motors inside was bad. GREAT service and they were easy to work with. They sold me the part and told me how to install it myself. It should work much better than it does.

B.O.

Happy Camper,

I am with KING, the manufacture of the Tailgater. I would like to fix the issues you are having with your Tailgater. Have you been in contact with our technical support? Here is the number to contact them, 952-922-6889 ext. 373. Or you can contact me directly at 952-345-8151.

Thanks

Chris Waples
Service Manager

Thank you very much Chris for your assistance. I will be in touch with either you or the company very soon.
2009 Sabre 31 BHDS

King_Controls
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Happy Camper2003 wrote:
Try calling the manufacturer, King Controls in Bloomington, MN. I had a problem with mine and they determined one of the motors inside was bad. GREAT service and they were easy to work with. They sold me the part and told me how to install it myself. It should work much better than it does.

B.O.

Happy Camper,

I am with KING, the manufacture of the Tailgater. I would like to fix the issues you are having with your Tailgater. Have you been in contact with our technical support? Here is the number to contact them, 952-922-6889 ext. 373. Or you can contact me directly at 952-345-8151.

Thanks

Chris Waples
Service Manager

Happy_Camper200
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
Happy Camper2003 wrote:
. Should not happen; you have a bad connection, a bad cable, a bad receiver, or a bad antenna. Call Dish and get help. May take some patience, but they will walk you through it.. I was having a problem for a while - turned out to be a bad cable that was brand new. Replaced it with a better quality cable and no issues now for two years continuous travel and use.

I called Dish tech three times over the weekend and they couldn't tell me anything. One tech recommended calling the King Controls. The first tech recommended trying a new cable, which I did, but didn't work any better. The third tech gave me the number of a service center in my area to take the Tailgater to to have it checked. The receive was just replaced about two months ago from Dish. The Tailgater didn't work any better with this receiver than it did with the last one.
2009 Sabre 31 BHDS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 100 ft cable on a spool with ours. Unroll enough to get to where it needs to be and hook the pigtail to the Tailgater. The other end has to connect directly to the receiver, I can't use the cable/antenna connections on the trailer.

As a app I found AR satellite finder for free.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW - I have a Winegard Pathway X2 and the literature that came with it states that it will roll in winds stronger then 30 mph.

Also - I bought a tripod for it because if it ends up sitting in more then 2 inches of water, the electronics can be damaged. The tripod has already paid for itself as I was caught in a rainstorm earlier this summer that dumped enough water so that the tripod ended up sitting in 6-8 inches of water.

I am assuming that the tailgater and my X2 are similar in construction.

Last - If you have an Iphone, consider getting the DishformyRV app. Cost is $5 and it works great for me. The app uses the phone's camera. You aim it at the southern sky and it projects 2 sets of 3 each red balls in the sky corresponding to the locations of the 3 eastern and 3 western arc Dish satellites. Very helpful if you are trying to aim between trees.

Tim

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper2003 wrote:
Does anyone use coax longer than the 50 ft with good results?

I know they recommend no more than 100 feet but recently while in an Ontario Provincial Park I ran almost 150 feet to get a good sight line beyond the trees. I could only acquire one satellite but the reception was crystal clear.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Camper2003 wrote:

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

slugo4449
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 65 foot run of RG-6, quad shield, burial cable(waterproof).
Works great. The quad shield has lower loss than regular RG-6. Most Satellite companies require quad shield now, I think.
Burial cable is a bit of over-kill for cable but I also use it on my boat, hence waterproof.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper2003 wrote:
Does anyone use coax longer than the 50 ft with good results?
. I have extra 50 ft cable that I've used to get out of tree cover. No problem. Make sure connection is tight.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch