cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need to install airbags?

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be picking up our new baby soon (2016 Vengeance 25V Toy Hauler) and I got to wondering about tongue weight and whether or not we we're good to go.

Truck:
2013 GMC Sierra, 2500HD, DA, 4x4 CC, Short box with class V hitch so I think I'm rated to 1.7k on the tongue?

Ball mount (?):
2" Reese shank with 1.4k tongue rating

Weight/Sway bars:
Reese round bars (61009??) with 1.2k tongue/weight rating

Camper:
2016 Vengeance 25V Toy Hauler with 1014# hitch weight. I assume this is unloaded hitch weight?????

Our toys are bicycles and kayaks, no motorized toys. Though I do plan on adding a couple (few?) more batteries up front which will increase the tongue weight somewhat.

For the people who have toy haulers with heavy tongues ... is my ride going to be OK or nasty? I know I could go to the next size up on the bars, but do I "need" airbags? Keep in mind that I don't have any toys in the back to offset the weight up front.

Thanks,
johnm
'13 GMC Serria D/A, CC, 4x4
'16 Forest River Vengeance 25V
20 REPLIES 20

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
RBPerry wrote:
So I think the air bags are a great way to go mainly to get a little more weight on the front axle and get a level ride.

Bags do absolutely nothing to transfer weight to front axle... Level ride yes, transfer weight no.

x2!!!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
RBPerry wrote:
So I think the air bags are a great way to go mainly to get a little more weight on the front axle and get a level ride.

Bags do absolutely nothing to transfer weight to front axle... Level ride yes, transfer weight no.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit - yeah, like you said, I have plenty of truck. I'm thinking of the drive-ability and handling and not whether or not the truck can handle it. I've never had this much tongue wt with the axles so far back (it's a toy hauler).

Thanks
johnm

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
donn0128 wrote:
BT,DT
Been There, Done That!
Yea. Bought too much trailer for the truck way back in 2005. Added air bags, higher rated tires. Still ended up 10,500 pounds on a 9200 GVWR truck. Pulled OK in a straight line. Mountain driving got real scary real fast. Felt out of control going down every hill. Got the correct truck for the load, and life is totaly different.

I once loaded a pallet of cinder blocks in an old C10 and drove it all the way across town.....but that has nothing to do with the question asked here.
You insinuate that the OP doesn't have enough truck for the trailer, when that couldn't be further from the truth.
OP, With a 1000# empty tongue weight,your truck will pull that trailer fine even without WD bars. You're good with your setup, and I believe adding bags is not necessary or desired.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RBPerry
Explorer
Explorer
I'm inexperience with TT or RV in general, but I'm a retired truck technician and one thing I do know, your handling of any vehicle is based on suspension and weight distribution. Too much weight in a trailer vs tow vehicle will cause a trailer to wonder. Not only that too little weight on the front axle will give you terrible handling. So I think the air bags are a great way to go mainly to get a little more weight on the front axle and get a level ride. Now if you go over your GVWR you create another problem, excessive axle bearing load, and that is not a good thing, much less the handling issues associated with it. I did drive truck for a few years and pulling a set of doubles that back trailer will wonder in heavy winds, snow and ice, but lets face it, it has no choice but follow you, but it can be scary especially in snowy mountain roads, no fun at all.
Now I"m speaking from dealing with 18 wheelers not camp trailers but I think the principles should somewhat the same.

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
N-T,

I agree that TT's don't tow quite as nicely. But, we seem be going against the norm on RV's since we keep going smaller and smaller. We've gone from a 35' 5er to a 34' TT now to a 30' TT Toy Hauler. It's easier to get into some of the state owned campgrounds in NYS.
johnm

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
johnm1 wrote:
I think I'm beginning to understand the reasons for airbags. Thanks to y'all for the education!

My plan has always been to try without 1st, if nothing else because of the cost of the product but I also want to make sure the setup is correct and not mask it with the bags.

We had a 35' 5er (with same truck) that had a pin weight of ~1900#'s (empty) and we didn't have much of an issue so I'm hoping it'll be a non-issue with the new setup. One of my bigger concerns, and the reason I asked was that this TH (maybe all?) have the axles further back to carry the toy weight. This not only increases the tongue weight when empty but can (might ... maybe ...????) increase the "bouncing and/or porpoising", as Sunofabeach else called it above.

Thanks again for the tutelage.

The bumper pull won't tow as nice as the 5er you were previously use to I can tell you that much. Just the nature of the beast and the result of having something hanging two feet off the back of your bumper vs middle of bed. Have the same truck and just went the other way (bumper pull -> 5er) and don't think I will ever go back.

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'm beginning to understand the reasons for airbags. Thanks to y'all for the education!

My plan has always been to try without 1st, if nothing else because of the cost of the product but I also want to make sure the setup is correct and not mask it with the bags.

We had a 35' 5er (with same truck) that had a pin weight of ~1900#'s (empty) and we didn't have much of an issue so I'm hoping it'll be a non-issue with the new setup. One of my bigger concerns, and the reason I asked was that this TH (maybe all?) have the axles further back to carry the toy weight. This not only increases the tongue weight when empty but can (might ... maybe ...????) increase the "bouncing and/or porpoising", as Sunofabeach else called it above.

Thanks again for the tutelage.
johnm

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
NO need for bags IMO. As long as you get your hitch setup correctly you should have no problems with those weights.

I'm not a big fan of using airbags with bumper pull trailers. If your using then your compensating for a undersized hitch or improperly setup hitch.

Bags are great for 5th wheel applications however

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try it without and see how it works. If you sag too much or you don't like the way the suspension feels under load, then try Timbrens or airbags. I doubt you'll need them with your setup but I could be wrong.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would hold off on the bags. See how it rides when loaded for a trip. Hen you can decide if you want bags. Most of the time bags are to level out a vehicle such as when towing a 5th wheel. Even those can be under the ratings and still sag enough that air bags are warranted. I have a set on my X and it needs them. I run them around 30-40psi with 7 people a dog and the trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
BT,DT
Been There, Done That!
Yea. Bought too much trailer for the truck way back in 2005. Added air bags, higher rated tires. Still ended up 10,500 pounds on a 9200 GVWR truck. Pulled OK in a straight line. Mountain driving got real scary real fast. Felt out of control going down every hill. Got the correct truck for the load, and life is totaly different.

sunofabeach
Explorer
Explorer
yes, airbags will help your towing experience. it will help to absorb bouncing and stop any porpiosing while towing.

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhhh ... OK. So if I have poor ride quality (as in bouncy while driving) with my current set up it's because of the way I have it set up (ie: too much weight up front, in back of RV, WD bars not set properly, too much weight in bed of truck) kind of thing ... right?

BTW - what does BT, DT mean?
johnm