cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you grease the bars?

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that the coupler ball needs to be greased, but do you grease the bars? I have the WD Hitch with the long bars instead of chains, and they sit on a bracket with a keeper pin. The other end of the bar has two studs sticking out, one big and one small. The big end goes on the bottom and the small end on top and are held in place with a small clip on top of the hitch. I hope this makes sense since I am 5 hours from home and don't have a picture.
Anyway, do you grease any part of the Weight Distribution Bar on either end?

Thanks!
SK
11 REPLIES 11

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 4 way used to be very noisy and then I noticed that the L brackets were not exactly perpendicular to the bars. This resulted in the bars having a single small point of contact which I believe makes the noise. I loosened the L bracket bolts while hitched , squared them with the bars and totally eliminated any noise.
RVing since 1995.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
On my Equal-i-zer I only grease the socket areas of the hitch/head assembly, I grease nothing that touches the bars themselves.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
The bars use friction between the bars and brackets to provide sway control.

Actually the majority of the sway is from the "sockets" in the hitch head and not from the bar/bracket interface.

I'm not sure why everyone is worried about a little noise from their WDH. It mainly only occurs at low speed like maneuvering into a campsite and I have never had a campsite "run off or away from me" because it heard me commin' ๐Ÿ˜›

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We grease our L bracket thingees and have no sway problems.

Plus,we no longer turn heads by generating a 120 decibel sound of a coffin opening during each turn.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Grease the end of the bars that fit into the hitch head. The end that sits on the sway brackets does not need to be lubricated.

The Equil-i-zer, and similar designed hitches, are notorious for being a little noisy and greasing the pads can help to reduce that but to me it sounds counter productive. The bars use friction between the bars and brackets to provide sway control. I would think that greasing it would reduce that ability. I wouldn't want to deal with the mess either. You can buy sway bracket jackets to reduce noise.

If it is an Equalizer, you actually grease the bottom of the sockets where they swing back and forth. This is mandatory. Greasing the L-Brackets on the frame is optional. I don't
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
No grease for 9 years and when we got the last trailer I needed heavier bars and sided by side I noticed the old bars did have ware.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Grease the end of the bars that fit into the hitch head. The end that sits on the sway brackets does not need to be lubricated.

The Equil-i-zer, and similar designed hitches, are notorious for being a little noisy and greasing the pads can help to reduce that but to me it sounds counter productive. The bars use friction between the bars and brackets to provide sway control. I would think that greasing it would reduce that ability. I wouldn't want to deal with the mess either. You can buy sway bracket jackets to reduce noise.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Bedlam
My Harbor Freight WDH actually has Zerk fittings to grease the bars. My previous Reese did not have these fittings and even with grease wore out the head after 7 or 8 years.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
A little light reading

Equalizer FAQ
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
My E2Hitch says to grease the head end of the bar.
What type of WDH do you have?
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a little different system (Reese)
Yes. I grease the ends that fit into the hitch head.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro