cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you use your bathroom? If not, what do you use it for?

viajera80
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I'm working on an article about whether most RV owners use their bathrooms or not. If you do, feel free to chime in. If you don't why not and what do you use it for instead? Please give examples of what you do use it for. Thank you!

Edit: the post is for the Do It Yourself RV website
108 REPLIES 108

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 35 ft travel trailer is an extension of our home. The bathroom and shower is used the same as in our home. The wife got tired of filthy hotel, motel, and campground bathrooms and showers. No reason not to use it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
viajera80 wrote:

Nope, I'm not writing for Trailer Life. I have some friends who are new RV owners and they don't want to use their RV bathroom. I'm curious as to why and wonder if other RV owners do the same.

so you're not writing for trailer life. but you surly must remember what you wrote in your thread starter... you are writing an article for a publication...

but no matter..
It is beyond my comprehension how someone would rather use a public toilet than the perfectly good, clean, usable one in their own dwelling.

emptying the black water tank is no more of an issue than pumping your own gas... you dont want to get it on you, but if you do, wash it off!... it wont kill you unless you ingest it, and even then it will take more than half a swallow ๐Ÿ˜‰

personally, when I have to use the bathroom, I would much prefer use my own rather than someone elses, or a public restroom... and neither do we plan bathroom facilities into our decision about where we go or what campground we stay in. we dont have to, because we have our own with us

and if the situation calls for it, we can go out in the woods and do it like the other animals of the earth...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
He got a bit of a odd look, and confessed that he never uses the toilet in his RV for anything (He had a nearly new Mercedes/Winnebago) and would never allow anybody else to use it either. He makes reservations for spots near the bath house, and uses public toilets on the road. He explained that when he buys a house, he needs to pull the toilets out and replace them, since he can't deal with a "used" one. He then told me that a used RV was simply out of the question, since...........well, it would have a used toilet, previously dirtied holding tanks, etc...

It was an interesting conversation.

Germaphobia - a not uncommon condition. But not the same as those who simply refuse to use the toilet because they don't want to deal with the black water tank - that's Lazyphobia. :W As for us we're with the crowd that says if you got it, use it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blutoyz wrote:
Quite new so this question shocked me...why would you not use facilities that you have at your disposal?
We just had a thread on how not to use your furnace.
viajera80 wrote:
No hoax. I'm a teardrop trailer owner and don't have a bathroom. I have some friends who are new RV owners and they don't want to use their RV bathroom. I'm curious as to why and wonder if other RV owners do the same.
Very good, thanks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I had a guy stop at my motorhome and start a conversation about how much he like it. He then reveals that he and his wife are serious about buying a new one, just like it. I tell him this one was used, owned by the proverbial "little old man" who obsessively cared for it, and costs about 60% less than he was going to pay for a new one, so he might give that a thought................and then it happened.

He got a bit of a odd look, and confessed that he never uses the toilet in his RV for anything (He had a nearly new Mercedes/Winnebago) and would never allow anybody else to use it either. He makes reservations for spots near the bath house, and uses public toilets on the road. He explained that when he buys a house, he needs to pull the toilets out and replace them, since he can't deal with a "used" one. He then told me that a used RV was simply out of the question, since...........well, it would have a used toilet, previously dirtied holding tanks, etc...

It was an interesting conversation.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use your bathroom? If not, what do you use it for?

If i say no what will my second answer be ?????
Dennis Hoppert

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Might I suggest a follow up article? Do most people use the beds in an RV.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Of course I use it for all the purposes it was designed for.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we use the toilet for what it's made for. and the bathroom sink the same way.
the shower gets used for showers, but in between, we keep the dirty clothes hamper in it.
the sink floor area is also the dining hall for the dog.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
we use ours for #1 only and the pit toilet for #2.we hang wet clothes and towels in there but we shower with the outside shower and a fold a privy.it's just easier and there's more room,plus we don't have to dry the shower.i only have to dump the cassette every 5 days.we never camp in conventional campgrounds so half the time i whizz behind a tree anyway.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Our Trailer is like our second home. We use the bathroom just as if we were at home. Why not ?
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
don't know about the rest of the world but that is why I bought a RV with one in it

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's funny that people looking at houses consider the number of bathrooms as a plus (4BR 4-1/2 bath - Oh Boy!), but won't use a toilet in an RV. Pooping in the woods was ok when I was tent camping 50 years ago.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use both the RV, and the bathhouse, it just depends. With a family of 4 our grey tank for the shower fills quickly, so if we don't have sewer hookups, and we are going to be there more than a couple of days, we use the bathhouse showers.

If we have full hookup, we still mix it up, If we are going somewhere we will split up and some go to the bathhouse, and some in the camper so we can get in and out quicker. If it's cold or raining, we tend to shower in the camper.

We all tend to poop in the bath house. Our bathroom is right in front of the table, and in the middle of the living area. We don't like to stink up, or make vile noises right in the middle of things. ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up