cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you winterize your Blue Ox tab holes?

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Ox baseplate with the standard round holes in which I insert the removable tabs and twist to lock.

This is my first year with a base plate.

The base plate did not come with any covers to close the holes off when not in use. During the winter season (October to May) I drove my car with the base plate holes open to the elements.

Yesterday when I was hooking up the car for our first trip I found the tab holes full of crap, corrosion from winter road salt, They were unusable. After lots of inappropriate language, spray lube and wire brush activity the tabs were inserted and turned to lock.

So the question is -- what do Blue Ox users do to protect the tab holes in the off season?

I am thinking of maybe a grease soaked cloth left in over winter or something similar but looking for ideas.

Thanks
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy
14 REPLIES 14

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
FC wrote:
Blue Ox sent out replacement plugs to us and other friends. We use them every winter to keep as much crud out as possible. We just sent a request and they sent it off to us.
Jm2cw.

If you ask Blue Ox, they most certainly will deliver! They are a family owned-close knit group and the guys that answer the phones are sitting next to the receptionist who is next to the COO who is right outside the factory floor. Very personable and easy to get things. I asked and they sent 4 caps and 4 rings! And a little note that said "wrap a little electrical tape around the caps so they stay in better".

Very nice people. I am proud to use Blue Ox.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

FC
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox sent out replacement plugs to us and other friends. We use them every winter to keep as much crud out as possible. We just sent a request and they sent it off to us.
Jm2cw.
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately our base plate did not come with plastic covers.

Best answer -- spend the winter in warmer places! Not retired yet, still a slave to the grind, but hope to do four weeks in Florida next March.

I think I will try the rubber stoppers. I have seen them in wine making stores and hardware stores.

Again, thanks and safe travels.
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Never got plastic caps with ours. I purchased tapered solid rubber stoppers I bought at ACE hardware for a couple bucks. They are black. Just push them into the hole as far as I can. Never lost one in 4 years. Just pulled them out and throw them in the bucket when towing. Keeps water and grime out of the holes and cosmetically look like they were made for it.

Like these

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=00+rubber+stopper&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=5522857...

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can avoid the problem by wintering in warmer climes.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
1 7/8" hitch ball covers.

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a blue ox base plate and tow bar. It came with 2 plastic caps that we insert when the pins are not inserted.

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy replacements at eTrailer. Unless you have enough for free shipping you may want to pass on it.
eTrailer Linky
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
I use rubber pipe caps, Lowes and HD carry them in plumbing dept. usually come with a screw clamp that I don't use. I put silicone caulking in the caps and press them on. They stayed on all winter,even thru many car washes. The plastic plugs that came with them were flimsy and didn't pass the car wash test.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Check auto part stores for rubber freeze plugs, they are used in emergency repairs, they are a two piece rubber, one is a cap and the other is on the back and expands as the bolt on the outside is tightened, I do not know if they still make them or not, haven't used one in a long time.

Or regular freeze plugs, place them in to winterize the car and remove when needed, provided that the holes and the plugs are compatible in size.

navegator

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Check out any HD or Lowes for the right size round rubber chair leg covers. They will slip right over the tab connectors.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
Expandable pipe plugs would work for you. Clicky
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I have black plastic plugs that I push in the tab holes when the tabs are removed. About once a year I run a rag soaked in PB Blaster through them to remove any minor rust. I seem to recall the plugs came with the base plate for our previous toad.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
They have small plastic pop on covers that come with the baseplate when new. However these caps are easily lost. I'm sure you could get them from Blue Ox.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad