cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does anyone know of a program similar to Streets & Trips?

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
I have Streets and Trips 2013, but it is out of date and there seens to be no update available.
Is there anything similar available?
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
28 REPLIES 28

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigred1cav wrote:
Help! How do I put the traffic conditions real time on my garmin truckers system? Also is it possible to add camping info to the truckers system?

Checkout Garmin's Smartphone link:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-00SPL-AP

With that installed on your GPS, you can connect the GPS to your smartphone and get a lot of "premium" services like live weather and traffic update, traffic cams, parking, etc. (at extra cost).
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Help! How do I put the traffic conditions real time on my garmin truckers system? Also is it possible to add camping info to the truckers system?

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps then BaseCamp if the best option as the maps get updated 3-4 times a year. BaseCamp is a bit different but once you figure it out it works very good for routing. I deleted all my other mapping programs (S&T, Street Atlas, etc.) and now use BaseCamp and Google Earth exclusively.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I still use the old Streets and trips for the "big picture" routing, ie town to town etc. I then use an up to date Garman GPS for what I call the refined portion of the planning for specific routing, RV parks , attractions along the way etc. Works for me. Just about the same way I used to use streets and trips anyway.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
They must have fixed that problem because S&T reads my GPS dongle also.
It never use to. Not the best yet because I'm deep in the house on my desktop and it's still searching for a satellite, it's always been poor in doing that.
In the past the GPS could not be found period.

oops...
just got a signal.
It did pin point my house so I assume it's good to go on the road.
Got a fix on five satellites and the house is moving at a steady 2kph ๐Ÿ™‚

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
The software runs fine, but what broke was the USB puck GPS receiver that came bundled with some versions no long works. I use a Bluetooth GPS receiver that works well.

If you mean the small square GPS device that came with S&T, mine works on windows 10 as well along with the program.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
S&T 2013 works just fine on my Windows 10 system
The software runs fine, but what broke was the USB puck GPS receiver that came bundled with some versions no long works. I use a Bluetooth GPS receiver that works well.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
The big issue with S&T is this: If you use windows 10. Microsoft BROKE IT.

S&T 2013 works just fine on my Windows 10 system

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First S&T may be out of date but not all that much since roads do not often change.. Oh a few new ones get added from time to time.. but GOOGLE MAPS on yoru smart phone can find those.

The big issue with S&T is this: If you use windows 10. Microsoft BROKE IT.

Thankfuly there is a 3rd party that fixed what MS broke. GPSReverse driver

Alas I can not give you the URL for the company. 12 dollars when I got it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
There must be a lot more to Google Maps than I realized. I will better acquaint myself with it.
Thank you all for the help.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Streets and Trips from S&T 2000 to 2013 and several different Delorme mapping programs and I abandoned them all once Google Maps on Android phones became more like Google Maps on a computer. The nice thing about Google Maps is as long as I am signed into my Google account on the computer, anything I do on my computer gets carried over to the phone and vice-versa. I can do all my planning on the computer, save my destinations and my routes and then just pull them up on the phone when we are ready to leave.

When I plan a trip on Google Maps, I enter my starting point and my destination. If it is a new destination and I am unfamiliar with the route, I will zoom into the route and look for points of interest along the way. I can then check that point of interest to make sure it is still open. Google has a pretty good database of stores, restaurants and gas stations hours of operations and whether they are still in business. Then the route can be dragged to a point of interest to add it to your route. It works really nice if you are making a stop that is way off route.

One year we decided to stop to visit friends that were way off our normal route when we were heading to visit family in NJ. In Google Maps I entered my starting point (my home in Brunswick, GA), then I entered our friend's address (in Lynchburg, VA) as the destination. Then I map it. Google generally offers multiple routes to take and shows you how many more miles and how much more time each route takes. I pick the best route for me, then I can add another destination, in this case our family in NJ. I can add a bunch of destinations along the route.

There are several ways to get from Brunswick, GA to Lynchburg, VA. So what I will do is check the route multiple times across multiple days to find out which days are best to take which route at which time. For instance, if I needed to leave at a specific time and my plans had me driving during rush hours, I could check ahead of time which route has the least traffic during rush hours. Google also knows where construction is and where accidents are, so when I am getting ready to leave, I can check if there are a lot of accidents on my route and plan accordingly.

Another nice thing about Google Maps is you can save favorite places. Then you can just search for a destination by the name given to that favorite place so you don't have to remember address or city, state, etc.

I really liked Streets and Trips, but Google Maps is a lot more detailed, it offers real time traffic conditions as well as construction areas to avoid. It is very fast and it allows you to check reviews of restaurants you might like to stop at as well as hours of operations of other stores, restaurants, museums, etc. I know later versions of Streets and Trips had construction data, but I found it was not as updated as it could have been. There were several times we encountered construction that wasn't on S&T or entered an area that S&T said had construction which had already been completed.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Matt,

Google maps for a specific area can be downloaded. Just pick an area that covers farther than you would dream of going.

Thanks Don,

And I have done that, but it still is not as good as SA because I have never figured out how to put my location from GPS on the working chart. And, I haven't figured out how to make it tell me where to plan an NOP or a fuel stop. All of those are things that SA did easily.

We often use my Android phone when we need, but it is also often being a hotspot then and it has gone out on overheat or battery (while on charge) when we are doing this.

I'm going to keep beating this mule.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Matt,

Google maps for a specific area can be downloaded. Just pick an area that covers farther than you would dream of going.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to be using Street Atlas 2015 as long as I can. I have been trying to find Co-pilot, but cannot find a copy to use hands on. None of the on-line stuff is worth a tinker's ****. It is all on-line and when we travel, I have to be able to navigate off-line for at least a day and sometimes two. We aren't Blue Roads people.

With SA, I can plan an extended excursion and know where I will be looking for fuel and/or a NOP long before departure. AND, I can update as needed and the update wrinkles thought the plan and when something now longer works, it shows so it is no surprise.

The closest I have found on-line is a site called Furkot. It has a really steep learning curve and wants you to NOP at crampgrounds and tells you to buy fuel at places it knows without regard to price. (Watch out going into Illinois or Michigan.) If you enter a new ONP or fuel stop (you do this with the location marker) it will update, but it does have only part of the function that I could/can manage with SA. It does have the advantage of charts (maps) that are less than 5 years old.

The frustrated navigator

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.