cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

double towing in Wisconsin

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen rigs well beyond 75' double towing in Wisconsin. I would like to tow my bout but think I am well beyond restricted length.

I have a 2008 F-350, a 2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ and want to pull my boat

total length is about 87' 11"
12 REPLIES 12

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
WeAreFive wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Click here.

For Wisconsin:
TRAILER DIMENSIONS
Total length: 70 feet; trailer length: 48 feet (for trailers, excluding bumpers, stake pockets, air deflectors, ad refrigeration units); motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (for trailers, excluding appurtenances up to width of rear view mirrors); height: 13 feet 6 inches.

If you are a resident of WI, then you can be fined for being over the limit. You may get lucky and never get caught. But if you do, that first time, you'll be crying.

About others longer than what seems acceptable? If they are in-state residence, they are really taking a chance. If their state of residence allows more than 70 feet, then Wisconsin will honor the rules of the other state. But as a resident of WI, YOU will be fined.

Probably not an issue in all reality, unless you have a traffic accident or break a driving law where police will pull you over. Then you are toast!

Read through the list. Many states have a trailer limit of 28ish feet. 30ft+ TT are fairly common. Anyone heard of someone got caught in those state with a 32ft TT?

The AAA list is notoriously inaccurate. Every time it gets posted residents of various states point out the errors.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

WeAreFive
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Click here.

For Wisconsin:
TRAILER DIMENSIONS
Total length: 70 feet; trailer length: 48 feet (for trailers, excluding bumpers, stake pockets, air deflectors, ad refrigeration units); motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (for trailers, excluding appurtenances up to width of rear view mirrors); height: 13 feet 6 inches.

If you are a resident of WI, then you can be fined for being over the limit. You may get lucky and never get caught. But if you do, that first time, you'll be crying.

About others longer than what seems acceptable? If they are in-state residence, they are really taking a chance. If their state of residence allows more than 70 feet, then Wisconsin will honor the rules of the other state. But as a resident of WI, YOU will be fined.

Probably not an issue in all reality, unless you have a traffic accident or break a driving law where police will pull you over. Then you are toast!

Read through the list. Many states have a trailer limit of 28ish feet. 30ft+ TT are fairly common. Anyone heard of someone got caught in those state with a 32ft TT?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can attest to that. Hit the flagpole in my front yard, causing $2000 in body damage to my truck. Would've been fine if the flag pole hadn't snapped off halfway up, just smacked the bumper, but noooooo, had to snap off and cave in the side of the bed...

Anyway, the very definition of "boneheaded." Insurance covered it under the collision coverage, paid the claim without even batting an eyelid, didn't cancel me, and didn't even appreciably raise my rates.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:

another thought, if you are driving an "illegal" vehicle and have an accident, your insurance company may deny a claim.

Nope. Insurance covers the insured for stupidity. Heck, if they didn't have to cover boneheaded acts by policyholders, they'd hardly ever pay a claim.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Click here.

For Wisconsin:
TRAILER DIMENSIONS

another thought, if you are driving an "illegal" vehicle and have an accident, your insurance company may deny a claim.

Care to back that claim up? Because I used to work in the insurance industry. And the claim would be paid unless there is a written policy exclusion.

Iโ€™ve towed tandem for years. Over length in every state, and prepared to take the law enforcement consequences that would come with that part. That said, Iโ€™m closer to 77โ€™. I do think that extra 10โ€™ would make a significant difference and I would encourage you to look at other options, as it looks like you have from a subsequent post.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
or, you could carry the camper in the truck and tow the boat behind, and not have to tow a silly clown parade behind you and worry the entire time that a trooper is going to pull you over and get out the tape measure.

A little bit of compromise makes the whole trip much more enjoyable. However there's just folks that GOTTA have their McMansion on wheels, and GOTTA have their mini-yacht along, and GOTTA tow it all with their minivan. To each his own I guess.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
These silly length restrictions or worse yet, no double towing laws require people to get creative if they want to bring their toys with them. You could carry your boat on the back of your truck and tow the trailer behind the boat.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Click here.

For Wisconsin:
TRAILER DIMENSIONS

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Click here.

For Wisconsin:
TRAILER DIMENSIONS

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
nope found out I cant double tow. 75' is max in wisconsin

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good reason to violate the law?

โ€œI have seen rigs well beyond 75' double towing in Wisconsin.โ€

Not for good citizens.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Youโ€™ll be fine. Until you get stopped by that one trooper that notices. Then you will probably have to drop the boat, take the Sandpiper somewhere and drop it, and return for the boat.