cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving tips for first time with tow dolly

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Today I'll be using a tow dolly behind my motorhome for the first time. Moving from Minnesota to Tennessee. ๐Ÿ˜„

Any last minute tips for driving with a tow dolly?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

1fastdad
Explorer
Explorer
I have pulled my demco tow dolly for 10 years now and I have found that it is best to let the tires rest on the rear stops and leave the trans in nuetral. After tightening the straps put the trans in park. I no longer have to retighten the straps.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Well I can't say for sure if I was up against the stops or not. It wasn't a detail I was looking for, and I had a uhual person helping me. The straps stayed tight the whole trip, though.

It wasn't as hard to drive as I was thinking. Mostly just the mental aspect of knowing I'm towing my car. Once I took the dolly off and drove around withoit it, driving the 36 foot motorhome felt as easy as driving my car. ๐Ÿ™‚

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Its not rocket science. Drive it up on the dolly, put it in park. Cinch the straps tight......to w/ in reason.
Pull out of park to relieve the tension against the trans park pawl. Then place back in park, and roar off. Check strap tension at your next rest stop, and every few hundred miles. Its almost a no brainer,......for most.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Leave space as said in other post.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
"Big Katuna"

I understand what you're saying because U-Haul probably got their directions from Demco. U-Haul has used Demco dollies and that is the directions Demco publishes. When several other RV.Net members confirmed that my suggested strapping worked better I contacted Demco. They said there was nothing wrong with my suggestion but they chose not change their suggested procedures.

For years this forum members complained that dollies were no good because the straps came loose too often (pulling the toad against the stop). For the past several years numerous members have responded that allowing the ยฝ to 1 inch front of tire clearance before strapping eliminated all of their strap problems.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
dbates wrote:
Glad you got there safely!

I and may others on this forum have found that "Big Katuna's suggestion about the front wheels "snug against the front stops" is not the right thing to do. When this is done the straps will not slide over the tires and leaves some slack behind the tires. It's been proven that if you leave about 1/2 to 1 inch clearance between the tires and the front stop, as you tighten the straps down the wheels will roll forward making the tension equal in both the front and back of the tire, plus make sure that you tighten the straps down until the tires squish. When this is done I've never had to tighten a strap since I started doing this but I still check the tension whenever I stop.

When you park always remember to leave the dolly tires away from a curb or you'll scrap the lettering of the curb tire and always leave plenty of room in front to pull out because if you pull out to quickly the dolly tongue will swing toward the curb and force the tire into or over the curb.

Dave

Dont take my word for it. This quote is directly from U-Hauls loading directions.

"Keep doors closed and drive slowly up the ramp until tires are resting firmly against the wheel stops. DO NOT brake quickly or ram the tire stops at the front of the ramps. Make sure the vehicle is centered on the platform. There must be at least three inches of clearance between the side of the towed vehicle and the tow dolly fenders. Towed vehicle tires must fit in wheels troughs without overhanging sides."

This is from Penskes manual.

"
5. With someone safely guiding you, slowly drive the front end of your vehicle onto the tow dolly until the front tires are resting against the tow dolly wheel stops. As you drive your vehicle onto the tow dolly, the platform will go into the upright position. NEVER BACK UP YOUR VEHICLE ONTO A TOW DOLLY."

I dollied for years. Before I learned to get the car forward hard on the stops, I had problems with the straps loosening.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got there safely!

I and may others on this forum have found that "Big Katuna's suggestion about the front wheels "snug against the front stops" is not the right thing to do. When this is done the straps will not slide over the tires and leaves some slack behind the tires. It's been proven that if you leave about 1/2 to 1 inch clearance between the tires and the front stop, as you tighten the straps down the wheels will roll forward making the tension equal in both the front and back of the tire, plus make sure that you tighten the straps down until the tires squish. When this is done I've never had to tighten a strap since I started doing this but I still check the tension whenever I stop.

When you park always remember to leave the dolly tires away from a curb or you'll scrap the lettering of the curb tire and always leave plenty of room in front to pull out because if you pull out to quickly the dolly tongue will swing toward the curb and force the tire into or over the curb.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Well I made the 870 mile trip no problem. Ended up going through the edge of downtown St Paul during rush hour AND construction to start the trip. After that it was cake....mostly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Swing wide. I got to close to a gas pump the first time I filled up with my new tow dolly.

The second time I forgot to put on the safety latch, so the tilt function would not tilt while driving. After that I counted the number of steps, and would make sure that I did 7 before getting back into the RV.

I had wired my van for the rear lights to run with the tow dolly lights, something not 'required' except I wanted the car behind me to know my brake lights are on! So I wired in diodes to the van like the ones in my 4 wheels down car, and had a extra connection on the tow dolly for the van lights.

So I installed this:

1 Left strap
2 Right strap (on tire)
3 Right chain (to the frame - I put on eye bolts to chain the van to the dolly)
4 left chain (also an extra step that most will not need to do)
5 Tighten that bolt to keep the dolly from tilting backwards while driving
6 Chains dolly to RV
7 lights dolly to RV (and van).

Hopefully your travels will be trouble free!

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will track outside of the rv track. If you get too close to the gas station island with the back wheels of the motorhome, the dolly tires will hit it so cut corners wide.

Make sure the car is snug against the front stops when you cinch down the straps. Then stop 10-15 miles down the road and retighten. Often they would loosen up after driving. Once to the point one was dangling.

Be careful loading in the rain. People have slid off the front.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
As far as turning goes....will I even know it's back there? I think I remember reading once that my rear wheels are still the pivot point when towing. Is that correct? It's a 36 foot Class A.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember it's behind you, and don't get into a spot were you need to back up>