cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eating Out

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering how often you visit a full service restaurant. It would be interesting to know what sort of RV'er you are: weekend warrior, frequent short-tripper, snowbird, fulltimer, etc.

I'll go first. We are long term traveling fullimers. We eat out once a month or less. Even then we go to out of the way local recommendations.
My illustrious career has included the ownership of 2 restaurants and the management of another. What I produce out of my kitchen on a daily basis is significantly better than what we can get out. If that sounds braggadocios, it was intended to be. ๐Ÿ™‚ I love cooking, but once in a rare while I like a short break. My wife and I are almost always disappointed.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
73 REPLIES 73

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
noplace2 wrote:
OP here. I'd like to thank all of you respondents thus far. Just the info I was looking for and out of 71 posts, not a single snarky comment. That may be a record ๐Ÿ™‚

I think people that eat out are snobs.

( Had to break the record )

( I don't really think that by the way. )

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I'd like to thank all of you respondents thus far. Just the info I was looking for and out of 71 posts, not a single snarky comment. That may be a record ๐Ÿ™‚
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
We are week day worriers,,Do not or try to not camp on weekends. For us it depends on where we are going. Usually this time of year we will do a four or five day (Mon-Fri)trip one week a month during crab season. We go to a non hook up beach park on the coast. So we eat what we catch. But we also really enjoy the local food so we will try a couple of places each trip that we know have good food. It may be breakfast, hardly ever dinner, but always do a memorial lunch and bloody marry trip!

Other trips we plan on at least checking out local fare once or twice.

I used to do BBQ competition so I plan on bringing something to Q or smoke.
The wife enjoys cooking so she will plan a meal or two. Then its left over combinations with a local fare to mix it up!!

If we are camping at an area with not much local access then we will bring all our chow needs and also prepare some frozen meals to bring along!

We have found some really good local pizza places and even a few food trucks in some small towns that have wonderful food. Also we have found that if you come across a Mexican food place that is always busy or occupied,, you have found some good food! It depends on what funds are available also!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
At the seasonal site there is a grocery store deli in town. It was as cheap as fixing a meal and no clean up. I grill out a lot of a evening and fix breakfast in the camper of a morning.

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
Frequent short-tripper, snowbird wannabe (ie 3 weeks in FL in the winter)

When RVing rarely eat out unless with friends I've met up with. Just me in the RV? I cook.
Jon

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
We are 'short trippers'

I think that's us too! Hubby is retired and I'm semi-retired. I have a flexible work schedule that allows us a 5-10 day trip nearly every month.

We both enjoy cooking and generally make our own healthy, organic, unprocessed food. When we do eat out, we ask the locals where to go and avoid chain restaurants like the plague.

We travel in a class B and keep it stocked with fresh fruits and veggies, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, cheese, whole grain crackers, olives and nuts. If we don't feel like cooking we just break out the instant picnic. ๐Ÿ™‚

On an 10 day trip we might eat out once. On a five day we don't usually eat out at all.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
We usually travel a month at a time.

Eating out is part of the adventure and trying the flavors of the area. We often ask the locals what the area is known for food wise and then go hunt that out.

We also us an app called TV FOOD maps and hit the places listed that were on Drive in's diners and dives. We've had some fantastic meals in places we'd never find normally.

I even get my wife to try something she's never heard of before.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
6 to 8 week long trips in the summer and numerous shorter ones during the year. We never eat out on the shorter trips and on the longer trips sometimes never but at the very most twice.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We are mostly weekends and I love to cook at the campsite, but if I can find local broasted chicken and some good homemade onions I change the plans.
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Weekender: Amazing the money you can save by eating in. I pack my lunch everyday for work and know I save AT LEAST $1200 a year just on Lunch. Hardly ever eat out for dinner and breakfast. When we do go out, we consider it a treat and not a routine.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We generally try to take 3 two plus week trips a year, plus several 4-5 dayers. On our 2 weekers eating out is part of the experience. Trying the local cuisine is a large part of the plan and definitely as stfnuf put it a "good dive bar" is a must. Some of the best burgers and sandwiches have been found there. Lots of campfire cooking, including the old dutch oven are always fun, but a "night out" is also special.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave54 wrote:
Frequent long tripper.

We eat out 1-2x per week. Seek local cuisine and specialties.

I love clam chowder. Every restaurant along the coast advertises their "Award Winning" chowder (meaning they won a local chowder cook off - once - twenty years ago). So I try it and every one is different. I like them all.

We also shop local farmers markets for the Regional variety of produce, try the local cheese makers, local craft beers, etc.

X2

This is what it is about! Some are winners some are looser, WAY more winners though.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frequent long tripper.

We eat out 1-2x per week. Seek local cuisine and specialties.

I love clam chowder. Every restaurant along the coast advertises their "Award Winning" chowder (meaning they won a local chowder cook off - once - twenty years ago). So I try it and every one is different. I like them all.

We also shop local farmers markets for the Regional variety of produce, try the local cheese makers, local craft beers, etc.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly weekends, eat all meals at home/camper except we always like to check a local BBQ dive joint when we go camping.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com