cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Scooter

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Electric Scooters, there seems to be as much to learn about scooters as there is about RV's.
Looking for a electric scooter for the wife as there are times when walking put a strain on her over time. Pushing a wheelchair around is not bad on hard surfaces but gets to be a problem when camping in areas cover with gravel.

Any suggestion on scooter that can fit through a RV door with good battery life. Or any other suggestions in case I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Craig
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab
11 REPLIES 11

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the two recent posts. I will be reading the Disabilities forum for more information.

Thanks again,
Craig

P.S.
Still not sure how I miss that there was a Disabilities forum.

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
First, the advice to check out the RVing with Disabilities forum here is right on! You'll find info on many issues: How to lift the scooter into the RV, how to store/carry the scooter outside, etc.

Second, there are several general categories of mobility scooters:
  • Indoor/outdoor scooters (narrow width; smaller wheels; can be 3 or 4 wheels)
  • Outdoor travel scooters (wider, more stable base; heavier motor / batteries)
  • Folding scooters (designed for trunk, overhead bin, etc.; lightweight platform; lighter weight / less powerful batteries)
  • "Bariatric" scooters (designed for heavier weight patients; usually requires platform lift to raise)

As a former regional sales manager for one of the oldest scooter manufacturer, a vocational rehabilitation counselor/supervisor of over 25 years, and a full-time scooter user (post-polio quad) since 1981, we have tried &/or used all sorts of scooters around the world (NA, Europe, Australia, Africa). There are major differences between units in the same categories; these have been discussed in the Disabilities forum, and we can respond to PM's if you need more info.

Getting them in/out of any RV is a very challenging effort. If you're not requiring use inside your RV, look at folding scooters or "Harmar"-type bumper platforms to transport them, and a seat-type lift (Burr Handi-Lift, etc.) to raise the rider into the interior. If you do need to use it inside, then you probably need a Class A or C coach or toy-hauler trailer designed for accessibility.

Good luck, and hope she can enjoy her travels without her disabilities getting in the way.

mda
Explorer
Explorer
Travel Scoot is the by far and away the best for battery life, weight 37lbs with lithium battery, portability, folds up like an umbroller to fit inside a duffle bag. Itโ€™s made of aircraft aluminum. It is expensive, but with its features it is worth the money.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Again thanks for the all the input. The wife doesn't need the wheelchair all the time but for long days of walking she needs the wheelchair. She has problem with her Pancreas and too much strain like long walks or bending down a lot can cause an attack. A plus to getting a wheelchair is it may have a basket to carry some of our camera gear.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wal*Mart has a selection.. Just out of coursity (The cat survived) I checked the page.

They have some that have a 300 Pound capacity, are not very expensive and look like the one my Wife had. IT WILL fit through the door of my RV, though I carried it on a modified cargo tray (The tray is not wide enough) when she was alive and we had no car.. Once we got a car she died, I disposed of it.

THe larger ones I do not know since I've never checked.

And some of the "Three Wheel" jobs are even smaller.

Some of them "Break down" Meaning you can take them apart in to smaller sub-assemblies with a simple latch or 3 and put 'em back together again.

Lots of options.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One hint; get one with four wheels. the one with only a front wheel is deadly when cornering.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
First of all IMHO this isn't necessarily and only a disability issue. 'Many' of us use scooters who do sport venue RV'ing to get to one end of the venue and back to the RV quickly.

You could get a lot of good advice right here in the general rving forum. :W

Just an observation.

We had a disabled vet Rv'er where I was staying and the mobility scooters are very heavy. That poor guy got stuck 20 times a day every day, where fellow campers had to constantly push him out.

They are good on concrete but when it comes to a CG I don't think that would be your best bet.

We dog show and some of my fellow friends with knee problems bought the three wheel or two wheel rechargeable battery scooters. They worked 'great' on all types of terrains which get tricky at show venues. So do the 2 wheel ones!

The three wheel battery scooters are light weight to pick up and put in RV and no balancing needed when riding on one! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why I ddn't see the Disabilities forum, must be a new disability I may be developing. ๐Ÿ˜ž ")

Thanks for the input, I will check out the Disabilities forum.

Craig

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a mobility scooter. I was doing some research for something to run around the campground and run errands. I found used mobility scooters on ebay and Craigslist that were still in good shape and in the 300 to 600 dollar range. Most of them easily come apart (no tools needed) in 5 to 6 pieces so they will fit in the trunk of a car. So they are perfect for an RV. The one for my wife was $600 and it had only been used once; somebody's mother didn't like it. The one I use was $300, it had been well kept but was 5 years old. They both are still working for us after 7 years. It takes about 15 minutes to take them apart or put them back together. They are a lot safer than two wheel scooters.

Plus you can use them in stores, at sporting events and other venues, flea markets, fairs...etc. They have a range of about 6 miles and will work in gravel or hard pack dirt. We added canopies on ours so they look like miniature golf carts.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
If you're interested in the TravelScoot, as discussed in the thread noted by 2oldman, you might also want to check out the SmartScoot and compare the two.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scooter post in Disabilities.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman