cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equalizer Question

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Equalizer 4-Point WD hitch. Without going out to look, I think its a 1200 lb. model. Doesn't really matter for this though.

We use ours a lot. We make at least 15+ trips per year and average probably 7500 miles annually. I've always inserted the bars with the labels facing out. Always.

Does anyone else flip theirs from time to time? I'm not sure if its recommended or not. On one hand, it seems like a lot of constant pull in one direction. But on the other hand, flipping them over could be like bending a piece of steel back and forth which makes it weaker. But of course, these bars don't retain a bend. They're always straight no matter how hard they work.

Am I overthinking this? I have no clue what the manual says or if it even addresses this. Right now, I don't even know where it is. ๐Ÿ™‚
12 REPLIES 12

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawnspecialties wrote:
I thought we weren't supposed to lubricate the brackets where the bars are inserted. Doesn't that reduce the "anti-sway" ability?

I don't lubricate the brackets. The nylon sleeves that fit over the brackets reduces noise while maintaining enough friction for sway control. I lubricate moving parts at the hitch head as well as the ball. Greasing the top of the sway bar receivers helps minimize wear....they pivot on turns. At least on mine, the black paint has worn off and there is an area of bare metal, so I apply grease to that surface.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the nylon sleeves on the L brackets and I do grease the pivot area of the head to reduce noise. My Equal-I-zer works exceptionally well all lubed up. I just returned from a trip that included lots of twists, turns, passing situations, semis, gusty crosswinds, and an emergency stop. My trailer behaved perfectly.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
kvangil wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
I thought we weren't supposed to lubricate the brackets where the bars are inserted. Doesn't that reduce the "anti-sway" ability?
Theoretically it does reduce the anti-sway capability by a small amount, and I believe the manufacturer's documentation mentions as much (in reference to the L-bracket sleeves, which greasing would have the same effect). However, we've greased ours and have not had issues with sway. We grease once a year at the beginning of the season, and the whole setup stays quiet. YMMV.
As do I, with no noticeable reduction in anti-sway control. I use a dry lube spray on the "L" brackets several times a season.

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Theoretically it does reduce the anti-sway capability by a small amount, and I believe the manufacturer's documentation mentions as much (in reference to the L-bracket sleeves, which greasing would have the same effect). However, we've greased ours and have not had issues with sway. We grease once a year at the beginning of the season, and the whole setup stays quiet. YMMV.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
These help reduce noise!

After installing the nylon sleeves that go over the brackets, and with regular lubrication, my Equalizer hitch is very quiet. When we first got it, it was pretty noisy, but I do think there is a break in period. We've put quite few miles on ours, and I'm very happy with it!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Equalizers are notorious for amazing creaks and groans. Its like pulling up in a haunted house. Fortunately, they've become so popular, most campers pay you no mind.

I'll keep doing it as I have been. Thanks to all for the information.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is at least 10 years old and is the 10k lb variety, the notches are centered, so I have no idea which way is up or which side is which. Usually I put the label to the outside, but it obviously means nothing to the hitch itself. It continues to perform flawlessly, though a little squeaky from time to time.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
From the manual..

- Insert spring arms into the sockets in the hitch head. Arms for the 12K
and 14K models are side specific. They are notched slightly off-center, and
should be inserted into the socket with the notch on the inside, and with the
label facing outward.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read the instructions. Mine while not an equalizer. Says to install them label UP. No other way
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a TT we used an Equilizer hitch and loved it. Can't say I ever thought about your question, I always put them labels out but sometimes on opposite sides so labels were upside down. Didn't do this on purpose, just didn't worry about it.

The only thing I didn't like about the hitch was the noise it made when turning slowly at gas stations or in RV parks. Was able to eliminate 90% of this by purchasing the L-bracket pads and greasing the joints. If you haven't already got these I'd highly recommend it.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. I don't flip mine. They wear in a certain pattern and with a little of the Equalizer lube and the constant wear pattern the noise from my hitch is non-existent.

I have the 1400 set up, and it's rock solid.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K