cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equinox Question

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
About a month ago, I installed a Roadmaster baseplate on my wife's inherited 2011 Nox, 4 cylinder. I wired up the tail lights with diodes.

This weekend, I towed the Nox for the second time. All went well, BUT I noticed (in my mirrors) that when turning, the Nox front wheels did not seem to pivot as much as they need to in order for the Nox to track the RV through the turn.

I was pretty sure that I could see some "tire sliding" on the pavement as the Nox front end was partially drug sideways in the turn.

During one turn, I rolled through some dirt/dried mud. After the turn, I stopped and went back and looked at the Nox tire track as it had rolled through the dirt. Sure enough, there was evidence of the Nox tire being slightly pulled at an angle and not freely rolling through the turn.

I presume that it has to do with the mechanical resistance of the electrically assisted steering rack.

Has anybody else observed this?

Tim
7 REPLIES 7

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
quiltlady wrote:
What motorhome are you using to tow your Nox?

We are towing our 3,600 pound Nox with a 2013 Coachmen Freelander 29QB on a Chevy chassis = https://www.rvtrader.com/New-Or-Used-Coachmen-FREELANDER-29QB-RVs-For-Sale---RVTrader.Com/search-res...

We've only towed it twice around (pretty flat) north Texas, but we towed a 2,500 pound Miata all over northern and central mid-America with a 2014 28QB also on a Chevy chassis.

Since I already had a Roadmaster tow bar for the Miata, I (self) installed a Roadmaster baseplate in a couple of hours. I wired up the tail lights using individual diodes in another hour or so.

If you'd like to discuss any of the above, PM me with your Email address and I will contact you ASAP.

Tim

quiltlady
Explorer
Explorer
This is a little of topic, but we have a 2013 LTZ Nox that we are thinking of towing 4 wheels down since our other car is a Subaru and not towable. What motorhome are you using to tow your Nox? Thank you.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
I tow a 2016 Equinox LTZ V6 AWD with no problems. It tracks perfectly behind the coach, even around corners,and that's with the key in the ignition in the OFF position to reduce battery drain, #32 fuse off, trans in N, steering unlocked.

Your V6 Equinox has hydraulic, not electric, power steering so no parallels can be drawn between the steering of your 2016 and my 2011.

Are you sure that your 2016 even HAS a steering wheel lock requiring you to keep the key in the ignition?

Tim

Yes, it has steering interlock.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
I tow a 2016 Equinox LTZ V6 AWD with no problems. It tracks perfectly behind the coach, even around corners,and that's with the key in the ignition in the OFF position to reduce battery drain, #32 fuse off, trans in N, steering unlocked.

Your V6 Equinox has hydraulic, not electric, power steering so no parallels can be drawn between the steering of your 2016 and my 2011.

Are you sure that your 2016 even HAS a steering wheel lock requiring you to keep the key in the ignition?

Tim

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I will be on the lookout. I have a 2012 which we use on some of our trips. I have considered it to be a great dinghy. But I have seen some RV'ers suspect the power steering method used on the Equinox as a potential problem.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
We`ve towed a 11 Nox since it was new -- On a few occasions, on tight turns, the front wheels would not retutn to straight -- They would return after a short "drag" -- I try to swing as wide as I can to avoid this -- Other than that, it`s a great tow car -- Bill Willard