cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excess Genny use

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably a rant.. with a question... what would you do, and how would you take it if someone did it to you?

Background..
*Campers in a 30' pull behind moved in at the next pad. Its a state park with genny hours from 0900-1100 and 1700-2100.
*Their first night it seems they had no power at all as they were using flashlights inside the camper.
*I saw they had a single Group 27 on the front, that was disconnected (at the neg terminal).
*Next day they had their truck plugged into the trailer plug and the battery was connected. They ran the truck for about 3 hours.
*I talked to him briefly and he said the battery was not charging. I said well.. your battery is probably toast, and there is no way your truck is gonna charge it. 'But I have a 30 amp alternator.' Insert sigh and eye roll here.
*Well sure enough that night they were on flashlights again.
*Today... at 0800 guess what... a BRAND NEW GENERATOR fires up!!
*(0900-1100 are generator hours)
*I have seen it before, and I dont think its safe, but they had an 'igloo' type box over it to dampen the noise. Ok.. whatever. However.. about 3' from the exhaust is a 5 gallon red gas can.
*Now, its 11:50 and that genny is still running.
*My wife, who is way more 'in your face' than me.. asked him to turn it off and his answer was simply 'my battery isnt charged yet (laughing and walking away)
*She wants to go get Ranger Rick and have them tell him to cut it off, and I dont want to have to worry about my stuff getting screwed with when we are gone lol!

Ideas???
'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army
46 REPLIES 46

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For the weekend I would try to just let it go. I would probably find an activity away from camp. If they had some attitude I would have no trouble stopping by the ranger to ask for support.

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
We have an ultra quiet 2k .... offered and he politely declined ... uggh.. he did finally decide he needed a new battery when it still was not holding a charge long. He said it was frozen solid this winter and was about 6 volts when it thawed. (Rolls eyes) he thought charging it a few times would fix it... because that's what he read...

Hopefully he will return this harbor freight 1k genny and get a new battery in its place !!!
Active Duty Army

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just Jeff wrote:
Are you sure they know that there are generator hours?
That's my favorite excuse.. "Oh.. I didn't know." Uh huh.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

path1
Explorer
Explorer
All the power you have in your signature line and as close as you describe...why not run some power over to him?

Both of you would benefit.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
See Ranger Rick.

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
...offer them an extension cord that can pluggged into your outside outlet...should be all it takes for a quiet night...if refuses, let him know the generator time rules...he may not know he is doing something wrong...newbees!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Ideas???

If you are that upset about the situation, your first option should have been to talk to the park ranger about it and ask him to enforce the park rules and regulations.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you did all you could. Finding a new spot on holiday weekend could be problematic.

I think sites like rvnet help. If you read this site enough, you'll encounter discussions on generator etiquette, noise, generator hours, battery management, solar and low wattage lighting. But once in a while you just have to shake your head at the poorly equipped or operated installations. It is amazing how loud a 4 hp teacup engine can be. Almost like the entire power output is going into noise. In these otherwise quiet and beautiful surroundings.

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
HAHAHA...

Unfortunately, my long weekends are always the holiday weekends! (military)

He finally turned it off... lets see what tonight holds.

Fortunately Ranger Rick works 24/7 at this park! He said they will warn them once, then tell them to leave the next time, or offer an electric site when available.
Active Duty Army

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Since your neighbors are not going to help you out, not much you can do except leave early.
The main reason we don't go camping on the holiday weekends is people like that and crazy drivers that get them there.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Chandalen wrote:
Ideas???

Don't go camping on holiday weekends. It just isn't worth it!

best answer. we avoid holidays like the plague.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they're new. Are you sure they know that there are generator hours?
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Chandalen wrote:
Ideas???

Don't go camping on holiday weekends. It just isn't worth it!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Talk to the host or ranger Rick and move if possible. I avoid Holiday weekends that brings out the less prepared campers.

Moving might just get you close to people who make noise without a generator.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're in a tough spot. I don't know if Ranger Rick will be there at 11pm when it's running... again. It's Memorial Day weekend, and all the brain-dead inconsiderate louts are among us.

My Bose noise-cancelling headphones come in handy for times like these.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman