cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expedition Towing Camper

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this question in the Tow Vehicle forum as well, but after looking through this forum thought this might be the more appropriate place.

I am considering a new travel trailer. It is 31 feet long with a dry weight of 6,544 lbs and a carrying capacity of 2,256 lbs, for a maximum combined weight of 8,800 lbs. The hitch weight (I assume that is tongue weight) is listed at 835 lbs.

I drive a 2019 Ford Expedition with a towing capacity of 9,200 lbs and a receiver capacity of 930 lbs. I will be purchasing a good quality weight distribution hitch.

Although the camper is within the limits Ford provides for my vehicle, there is not a lot of room for error. So my question is whether this camper leaves me enough cushion to feel comfortable? Would you buy this camper and tow it with this truck?
Drought Buster

2010 Montana High Country 333DB
Reese 16K Slider Hitch
Ford Super Duty Integrated Brake Controller
F250 Super Duty, V-10, 4.10 Axle Ratio
1 wife; 2 kids; 1 dog; 1 cat; 1 rabbit; 2 fish; 2 guinea pigs
30 REPLIES 30

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
A WD hitch will put some weight back on the trailer axles. But not much. Probably less than 100lbs. And yes even 10% can cause sway issues. 12% is the number too shoot for when the trailer is loaded. I had to move stuff in my trailer to get the tongue weight to 1200 lbs from the 1450 it weighed before. And yes with the higher tongue weight I had stability issues. Putting the tongue weight at the 12% number made a huge difference!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Drought Buster wrote:
APT wrote:
I would not go quite that far. Stay closer to 6k dry and <700 dry TW. That will likely end up right at ratings. That Expy has a ton of power so it will pull very well. It's more of a stability/comfort level.

Thanks, the dry weight on the one we had wanted is 6,544lbs. Just a darn heavy tongue at 835lbs.

Also remember that just because it has a high dry tongue weight doesnโ€™t mean it will be even heavier after itโ€™s loaded. You need to mod the trailer properly to get the 12% TW. There is no reason an 8k lb trailer should 1200lbs of TW. Itโ€™s all in the loading!

It is interesting that you said that. The dealer is telling me that the weight distributing hitch is the solution to the problem and if loaded properly there is no reason the tongue weight has to increase by 200-300 lbs. But I was under the impression if you didn't have 10-15% of the weight on the tongue it was more likely to sway and be unstable in the wind...
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
The new expy will tow it fine.
80k miles on your Suoer Duty and youโ€™re not sure how long itโ€™s going to last?? Lol

I get what you are saying. Obviously I am not a tech type guy (if you knew me it would be much more obvious), but its not the mileage that concerns me (I realize it is very low for a truck this age), it is the fact that its 11 years old and has been towing a 12,000lbs fifth wheel the whole time (its just about the only thing I use it for). Worried things will start to go wrong and wouldn't want to have that happen while on a trip.
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The new expy will tow it fine.
80k miles on your Suoer Duty and youโ€™re not sure how long itโ€™s going to last?? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drought Buster wrote:
APT wrote:
I would not go quite that far. Stay closer to 6k dry and <700 dry TW. That will likely end up right at ratings. That Expy has a ton of power so it will pull very well. It's more of a stability/comfort level.

Thanks, the dry weight on the one we had wanted is 6,544lbs. Just a darn heavy tongue at 835lbs.

Also remember that just because it has a high dry tongue weight doesnโ€™t mean it will be even heavier after itโ€™s loaded. You need to mod the trailer properly to get the 12% TW. There is no reason an 8k lb trailer should 1200lbs of TW. Itโ€™s all in the loading!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, good news. I just got an email from my dealer telling me that my Expedition will have no trouble towing this camper. He says he will explain it all to me when I come in, but basically we reminds me that we won't be adding weight just to the front, but to the whole trailer. We can just shift weight to the rear to take pressure off the tongue. And with the quality weight distributing hitch he is going to put on it, we will have no issues. Like Sheldon Cooper, sometimes I wish I had a sarcasm sign to hold up.
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:

Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having and RV is supposed to be fun. Taking out some of the tension helps a lot. Being comfortable is half the battle. I do not get the trend to haul big trailers with "just enough" truck. To me that is not fun at all.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. It is appreciated. I guess deep down (maybe not so deep) I knew the answer, which is why I asked the question before buying. After pulling fifth wheels for 20 years with Super Duty trucks, I guess I just assumed that a medium sized trailer (certainly not large relative to what's out there) could be towed with the largest SUV Ford sells equipped with the "Heavy Duty" Trailer Tow Package. So, basically, everyone pulling a newer camper longer than about 26 or 27 feet must be driving a pick up truck. Fortunately, I still have the Super Duty, but its 10 years old now (80,000 miles) and I don't how long it is going to last. So I guess its back to the drawing board.

Thanks again everyone.
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

Explorer II
Explorer II
Step 1:
Open your driver door and look for this sticker. What is your number as I have circled?

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I think that your Expy will be over at least one of its ratings when loaded up for a long weekend.My estimates are that you will be:

7500 pounds loaded TT
1000 pounds of loaded TW

What is your estimate for people and cargo in the Expy when towing?
What does the Tire and Loading sticker say you have for maximum combined weight of occupants and cargo list?

For almost all half tons: 6k dry, 700 pounds may dry TW, assuming 1500 pounds of payload available and at least 8k tow rating.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The trailer will likely weigh 8k lbs loaded for a trip. That will put the tongue weight at 1050lbs (12.5%) the minimum you should have for safe towing. No doubt the Expedition will handle it. But you will be over the Expyโ€™s hitch rating. Iโ€™m sure it wonโ€™t break at 120lbs over. You could always dial it back to the 930lbs but that would put you at less than ideal tongue weight for an 8klb loaded trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Would you buy this camper and tow it with this truck?"

I wouldn't tow that trailer with my truck.. And it has a tow rating of #11,000.. The trucks hitch is rated at #1100 with WD, but in the end, I know I would not be comfortable towing that size trailer with my truck.

How many butts do you plan on putting in the Expedition? Any additional stuff in there too?

I'd stick with a trailer with no more than #7500 GVWR.

Engine power is not the issue here either.. It's the rest of the truck that leaves a bit to be desired when towing heavy like that..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Tahoe is similar and wouldnโ€™t try over 6k with it. Wheelbase is another issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad