cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended tow bar

jdrobin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a GMC Sierra (tows 9000 lb) with a 6' 10" bed. I have to leave my tailgate down to carry my golf cart (1000 lb) so I can't carry my golf cart and tow my travel trailer (6000 lb). I'm wondering if I could use a tow bar extender to make room for the tailgate to be in the down position while towing the camper. Has anyone done this?
12 REPLIES 12

blt2ski
I've extended the tongue on a few trailers that I needed more turning length, ie dually flatbeds where the typical 36-42" trailer body to ball spacing does not work or the trailer hits the corners of the 8' wide flatbed. So extending the tongue another 12-18" works well in this situation. Even an extension like the torklift will not allow one to 90 degree jack knife the trailer on a wider truck.

Either may work depending upon multiple issues you have vs what I have or someone else may have. Choose poison carefully.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jdrobin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. It was very helpful.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
40 yrs ago when I was showing horses I had a 10 1/2' truck camper and pulled a 4 horse trailer. I had a 40" removable extension for the trailer tongue, it worked great. Sorry I don't have any pictures after all this time that show it

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you absolutely can do this.
The Supertruss is very popular.
For a lighter trailer a simple 18 inch 2 inch tube extension would work, but your trailer is pretty heavy.
I would just get the Supertruss, or if you want more info then look at the Truck Camper Forum on this site. Truck campers weigh about 1,000-3,000 lbs, and like a cart, sit in the truck bed past the down tailgate and towing often requires extensions. There is all your knowledge and experience.

I had a TC and towed a light cargo trailer so the 2 inch extension worked fine for 80,000 miles with no / zero issues or concerns.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you want is one of these.

Torklift Super Truss
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the tailgate at home as long as it isnโ€™t needed for golf cart wheels.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This ^^^^
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Commonly available tow bar extensions are rated to 3500lbs trailer, 350lbs tongue weight. I haven't seen any short ones in the 12" or so range rated for more than that.

There is a Torklift Superhitch/Supertruss system that is popular among those with truck campers. It's not cheap but it's designed for what you want to do, and it is not a kluge.

Depending on how much extension you need you might be able to find an extended shank for your weight-distributing hitch, too.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I have one, but itโ€™s only used so I can put the tailgate all the way down when the trailer is hooked up. Getting one long enough to allow the tailgate to be down while making 90 degree turns is a whole different ball game.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
How long of extension?
I'm not the weight cops, but a golf cart in the back of a half ton with a roughly 900lb tongue weight on a hitch extension sounds like a bit much, unless you're talking maaaybe 12" or less.
And that said, if you use a WDH idk how it would work with the extra leverage.

I towed our 6000lb boat for years behind a straight 2' long 2" sq draw bar extension with our TC on the truck. No issues, but I was plugging it into a much heavier duty truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Extending the hitch will be like putting a pipe on a wrench handle, I think. I expect it will will effectively increase tongue weight significantly. Many years ago, I had an 11 ft truck camper. I built a 4 ft long extended hitch to tow my fishing boat. It worked OK. BUT, it was a light-weight boat with minimal tongue weight.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note what eTrailer says:

"This hitch extender is designed for using hitch-mounted accessories or for flat towing only. Do not use to tow a trailer. Using this extension will reduce your hitch's tongue weight capacity by 50 percent."

And Curt: "350 lbs TW, Not For Towing Use"
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad