cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extending the hitch out of 2015 Ford Super Duty

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2015 F250 short bed crew cab, and I'm currently pulling a 2014 outback 250rs ~6000lbs (dry)trailer with approx 700-800lbs tongue weight. I'm using a Reese Dual Cam WDH with 1200lb bars.

I've recently acquired a Polaris RZR side by side UTV and would like to be able to haul it in the truck bed and still pull the TT, this requires the gate to be down, which is a problem since I can get my tail lights to touch the camper if I jack it really hard with the gate up.

I've seen some crazy setups that carry the UTV on top on the bed rails, or even over the cab...I'm not looking to spend 3k on some crazy apparatus like that.....

so obviously I need to extend the hitch. I understand fully that any extension of the hitch seriously lessens it's capacity. but other than trading in my brand new truck for a long bed what are my options? class IV 2.5" hitch w/extension? superhitch? or will my OEM hitch handle a 12-18" extnsion with the current WD system given my trailer weight?
36 REPLIES 36

odis
Explorer
Explorer
You could have them removable for non camping. Also you could have your ramps pin into them for unloading the Rzr. If you are like me you will have a lot of straps holding the Rzr in the bed.
Just a thought.
Jim

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
odis wrote:
Would it help to remove the tail gate. Make bed extenders that only extend under the Rzr wheels? Not have a long hitch? Also how much does the weight change backing the Rzr on the truck verses pulling it in forward?
I hauled my Rzr in my truck for the first time two weeks ago , camper in tow. I did not pass a scale but when I do I will weigh it. But I have a long bed.
Jim

this is my first short bed truck ever...didn't know I was going to get the RZR at time of purchase or I would have went for the long bed, but the short bed barely fits in my garage.

you bring up a good point about making something to extend the bed just a bit, looking at the picture I posted I might not take much since I could pull up another 3" (that was my first time loading it and I used double 2x10 against the front wall) just in case I didn't want to loose the rear window!

If I was able to go that route I might only need a 6-8" extension which might be workable in my current hitch?

odis
Explorer
Explorer
Would it help to remove the tail gate. Make bed extenders that only extend under the Rzr wheels? Not have a long hitch? Also how much does the weight change backing the Rzr on the truck verses pulling it in forward?
I hauled my Rzr in my truck for the first time two weeks ago , camper in tow. I did not pass a scale but when I do I will weigh it. But I have a long bed.
Jim

Bedlam
If you have a chance, physically look at and handle a Titan and a SuperHitch to see how they differ. I think you will then see why many are suggesting the Torklift products (even if they are more expensive).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
anyone have any input on using a Reese Titan class V 2.5" hitch with 24" extension? according to their website I can pull up to 8K with WD which is within my limits.

about $500 for hitch and extension compared to $1100-1200 for the superhitch setup

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to protect the tailgate. When running with it down, the paint is exposed to road debris and you can get it filled with nicks and dings in no time.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Sorry, I have nothing to add but wanted to say WOW, that is one nice looking set-up!!!

Carry on.

x2

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
drittal wrote:
Unless it has the optional camper package it is missing the overloads the 350 has. I haven't met a F250 with standard springs that didn't drag it's butt under a load like a 1000lb RZR and 800-900lbs tongue weight hanging an extra 2' behind the bumper.

Ps: by dragging it's butt I don't mean literally dragging the bumper, but sagging dramatically.

This^
The new F250s are pretty soft in the rear suspension. You'll need help with that.
I'm certain the 2-1/2" receiver will handle that trailer on a 12" extension with ease. Done it with the 2" hitch, no wd hitch, truck dragging @ss. Over the frost here's on the Alcan Hwy....twice.
But a super hitch like bedlam posted is the right way to go to keep everything legit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
camp-n-family wrote:
Just curious, is the tailgate even strong enough to handle the razor being parked on it?

Yes. OE tailgates will handle a lot more weight than the back of a utv.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
RZR's weight ranges from 1000-1500lb's bone stock, depending on which model.
You can also easily move up to 1500 or 1700lb weight bars with the Reese, as long as it's not the older design. That would probably be what I would do before getting into suspension mods. That way if you tow without it you'd have the 1200lbs to use.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
After looking into it some more, it looks like he will need to upsize his WD to include the weight of the half of that Rzr that's behind the rear axle. With a shortbed, that may be more than half and could potentially mean 1500-1700 lb of WD is needed. I'm not familiar with the Reese Dual Cam so I don't know if that's as simple as changing bars.

Also, I'm not sure if that weight would count in sizing the extension. If it does, then he will need the Torklift Magnum with Supertruss. That could get spendy. Otherwise, there is a Reese extension that will work for his tongue weight with his current hitch. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable would chime in.

I'm curious because I could see myself in the same situation when I upgrade my truck soon.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind even with the hitch 2 feet beyond the factory hitch, he will still be using a WD hitch! So sag shouldn't be an issue.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
no sag with 1000lbs in the bed, however with the camper on I would imagine quite a bit of leverage @ 2' extension...I would consider overload springs or Timbrens at that point...no big deal. payload is listed at almost 3k on my truck as it sits.

Bedlam
My F250 with the camper package upper overload springs:

It has the Torklift StableLoads on the upper and lower overloads reducing sag even more:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD