cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exterior treatment

Spacejunk63
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we just purchased our 4th camper and are pretty psyched. The dealer is pitching an aftermarket exterior treatment that “protects” the exterior and reduces the need to wax the exterior. Anyone done this? Maxxgard is the brand. Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

Spacejunk63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I am quite handy, I am a general contractor and am not afraid of repairs. And as this is our forth camper I am pretty familiar with construction techniques. Just was looking for advice as the dealer popped this on us at the last minute. A bit of a surprise, this is camper 3 from the same dealer, this is the first time this was dropped on us.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I use Areo Cosmetics https://washwax.com/ and like it. Stuff is pricey but seems to be good. Wash with a quality car wash soap.

As far as extended warranties...The dealer sprang that on us at the last second. I didn't want but SWMBO was insistent on it, I lost. I am of the camp to put the premium in the bank for repairs. I think the reason they wait till the last second is so one doesn't research what a rip-off they are. In the mid 70's I worked for a heating oil/furnace place and the owners didn't hide the fact that they were a money maker.

Haven't used it yet. Hopefully never will happen.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the dealer you are not interested in the 'treatment.'
Then, watch the price of the Maxxgard start to drop.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google "Maxxgard + forum". That should dissuade you. Just can't beat a good wash & wax along with 303 protectant. What could be in Maxxgard that is so superior?? Have they offered an undercoating job, lol? :R

We have a bit of fading along the top of our front cap. It might be partly due to to the cover rubbing on it over the winter so now I tighten it up as best I can. Gotta get out the oxidation remover soon when I do the first wash 'n wax of the season.

When we bought our TT we could have had an option for painted decals instead of the usual vinyl ones. 5 years later I'm starting to wish we had.

As far as an extended warranty goes, fuggedaboutit. If you read the fine print, things that rarely break and can be fixed by you are covered while things that are more at risk of breaking aren't. When some things fail, they will sic you onto the manufacturers like Lippert, Suburban to duke it out with. Take the $$ and buy some nice RV accessories instead.

What you definitely need to do is stay on top of maintenance, one of the most important being caulking to prevent leaks.

Our insurance doubled the length of the factory warranty but that period has now passed. Never needed to make a claim past the original 2 year warranty period. Most things that fail happen withing the original factory warranty period. Problem with warranties is that you have to take your RV to the dealer where it will sit for weeks and maybe in the peak of the camping season. Or something can fail on a long road trip while hundreds of miles from home. Get a few tools and learn to fix things.

Oh, and even if covered under warranty, some dealers are inept at fixing things. Ours just couldn't repair a few things, even after going back 2 or 3 times. Ended up fixing them myself.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree with most of the above. Dealer trying to pad their pockets with extra profit.
Nothing new unless you’ve never dealt with a dealer before.

FWIW, the real ceramic coatings are pretty good stuff. Not sure they’re needed for a RV though. Imo biggest detriment to RVs is UV degradation. Ceramic coatings are not UV protectant that I’m aware of.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Spacejunk63 wrote:
Ok, how about the extended warranty? Have never done it before. Thoughts?

That dealer is sure after your $$$! No, I would not get an extended warranty. You will be doing good, just to get any issues fixed under the original manufacturers warranty.

It is just sales people doing their job, trying to make the most money they can. Enjoy your new camper, spend the money traveling, having fun.

Jerry

X2
no on the magic wax
no on extended warranty (put a little money aside each month for an emergency repair bill down the road) better than extended warranty

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot depends on how handy you are and how you feel about fixing issues when, not if, they happen. And of course the price of the extended warranty, the coverage, and the length of the warranty. And the issue of coverage is a real sticking point. What you consider a covered issue, may not be considered a covered issue by the warranty people. Just remember the insurance company doesn't make any money by paying out on claims.

We got an aftermarket warranty for our truck when we bought it. I have never bought one, but Peggy insisted, and said she would pay for it. As fate would have it the air conditioner condenser went out and was covered under the warranty. But the cost of the warranty and the cost of the repair were very nearly the same amount. We had no other repairs required before the warranty ran out, so basically it was a wash overall.

Personally I'd save my money and give it a pass.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Money maker for the dealer. Do it yourself. Same with extended warranty. Put that premium aside & use it for whatever may go wrong. The warranty providers are not there to save you money.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spacejunk63 wrote:

That dealer is sure after your $$$! No, I would not get an extended warranty. You will be doing good, just to get any issues fixed under the original manufacturers warranty.

It is just sales people doing their job, trying to make the most money they can. Enjoy your new camper, spend the money traveling, having fun.

Jerry

Spacejunk63
Explorer
Explorer

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Extra profit for the dealer. Overpriced polymer wax job. Buy a can of Nu Finish, Simoniz Ice, McGuires Ceramic or many others.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of the product, but most of those type products dealers sell are nothing more than money makers for the dealer. Save your money
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler